• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Top Gear racist remark (again)

Have you heard the term "slope" as a racially offensive term?

  • I'm from the UK and I've heard it

    Votes: 30 9.3%
  • I'm from the UK and I've not heard it

    Votes: 51 15.8%
  • I'm from the US or Australia and I've heard it

    Votes: 99 30.7%
  • I'm from the US or Australia and I've not heard it

    Votes: 67 20.7%
  • I'm from elsewhere and I've heard it

    Votes: 22 6.8%
  • I'm from elsewhere and I've not heard it

    Votes: 52 16.1%
  • On Planet X there are no racial epithets

    Votes: 2 0.6%

  • Total voters
    323
Looking back, Diana looks out of place, and where is the Duke of Wellington?

I'd agree the Brits got one outlier into the list, but it's fairly balanced: 3 political/government figures, balanced by 3 from science/technolgy, 2 arts, and one military.

Compared to who the Herns like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Greatest_American

On the most chartiable analysis: 5 and 2 half politicians, half a scientist, and half a military leader.
 
Last edited:
I'd agree the Brits got one outlier into the list, but it's fairly balanced: 3 political/government figures, balanced by 3 from science/technolgy, 2 arts, and one military.

Compared to who the Herns like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Greatest_American

On the most chartiable analysis: 5 and 2 half politicians, half a scientist, and half a military leader.
Looking at that list makes me glad that I can't be bothered to see who the rest of the Britons were. If they are anything like as tawdry as some of the US top 25 were, then I'm glad that Diana is the worst that I know about.
 
I'd agree the Brits got one outlier into the list, but it's fairly balanced: 3 political/government figures, balanced by 3 from science/technolgy, 2 arts, and one military.

Compared to who the Herns like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Greatest_American

On the most chartiable analysis: 5 and 2 half politicians, half a scientist, and half a military leader.

And they chucked a sporting drug cheat into 20th.
 
Looking at that list makes me glad that I can't be bothered to see who the rest of the Britons were. If they are anything like as tawdry as some of the US top 25 were, then I'm glad that Diana is the worst that I know about.

Of the top ten, I would remove three (Diana, John Lennon and Oliver Cromwell) as being completely over-rated, and I would add Jeremy Clarkson, Richard "The Hamster" Hammond and James May.
 
I'd agree the Brits got one outlier into the list, but it's fairly balanced: 3 political/government figures, balanced by 3 from science/technolgy, 2 arts, and one military.

Compared to who the Herns like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Greatest_American

On the most chartiable analysis: 5 and 2 half politicians, half a scientist, and half a military leader.

Which one of those would be "half a scientist"? Benjamin Franklin? Thomas Edison? Or Albert Einstein?
 
Looking back, Diana looks out of place, and where is the Duke of Wellington?
The Beeb pulled the page with the full list, but the Wayback Machine still has it. Wellington is 15th.

Looking Back??

I remember shouting at the TV at the time.
Why? Except for the kindergarten teacher who died in a DUI accident, the list seems quite uncontroversial to me. I hadn't heard of Brunel before.

Our "Greatest Dutchman" had a row over who actually won. And I still don't get what a politician who didn't even get into parliament should do on such a list.
 
Which one of those would be "half a scientist"? Benjamin Franklin? Thomas Edison? Or Albert Einstein?

Lance Armstrong, of course. The science of battling cancer. The science of blood doping. The science of bullying. ;)

ETA: Hint: Noztradamus was only referring to the top 10.
 
Lance Armstrong, of course. The science of battling cancer. The science of blood doping. The science of bullying. ;)

ETA: Hint: Noztradamus was only referring to the top 10.

Ah, yes!

My mistake. I apologize to Noztradamus for misreading.

And yeah, that list of the 25 is timeless. I am sure that Bill Clinton, Oprah Winfrey and Lance Armstrong will make the cut in the next 50 years or so.
 
Ah, yes!

My mistake. I apologize to Noztradamus for misreading.

And yeah, that list of the 25 is timeless. I am sure that Bill Clinton, Oprah Winfrey and Lance Armstrong will make the cut in the next 50 years or so.

You left out GWB.
 
Ah, yes!

My mistake. I apologize to Noztradamus for misreading.

And yeah, that list of the 25 is timeless. I am sure that Bill Clinton, Oprah Winfrey and Lance Armstrong will make the cut in the next 50 years or so.

Lance Armstrong wouldn't make the cut right now.
 
Which one of those would be "half a scientist"? Benjamin Franklin? Thomas Edison? Or Albert Einstein?

Neither Edison or Einstein made the top 10, which is the correct comparison to the UK list.

And by "half a scientist" I meant it was unsure whether Franklin was there for science or politics (although I would bet on the latter)
 
Neither Edison or Einstein made the top 10, which is the correct comparison to the UK list.

And by "half a scientist" I meant it was unsure whether Franklin was there for science or politics (although I would bet on the latter)

I know. ddt learned me good, and I apologized. Y'all can stop correcting me now.
 
I looked at the full list and Wellington is 15th. I would have had him in the top 10 (swapping places with Nelson), but not too bad.

Well, I was only looking at the top 10; I could understand replacing Diana with Wellington, but I wouldn't drop Nelson out of the top 10 (but then, both Wellington and Nelson are heroes of mine).
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom