Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
- Joined
- Oct 14, 2009
- Messages
- 27,440
I probably did, too, but the memory isn't what it was.![]()
Obviously not, since I thought Brunel actually won.
I probably did, too, but the memory isn't what it was.![]()
Looking back, Diana looks out of place, and where is the Duke of Wellington?
Looking at that list makes me glad that I can't be bothered to see who the rest of the Britons were. If they are anything like as tawdry as some of the US top 25 were, then I'm glad that Diana is the worst that I know about.I'd agree the Brits got one outlier into the list, but it's fairly balanced: 3 political/government figures, balanced by 3 from science/technolgy, 2 arts, and one military.
Compared to who the Herns like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Greatest_American
On the most chartiable analysis: 5 and 2 half politicians, half a scientist, and half a military leader.
I'd agree the Brits got one outlier into the list, but it's fairly balanced: 3 political/government figures, balanced by 3 from science/technolgy, 2 arts, and one military.
Compared to who the Herns like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Greatest_American
On the most chartiable analysis: 5 and 2 half politicians, half a scientist, and half a military leader.
Looking at that list makes me glad that I can't be bothered to see who the rest of the Britons were. If they are anything like as tawdry as some of the US top 25 were, then I'm glad that Diana is the worst that I know about.
I'd agree the Brits got one outlier into the list, but it's fairly balanced: 3 political/government figures, balanced by 3 from science/technolgy, 2 arts, and one military.
Compared to who the Herns like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Greatest_American
On the most chartiable analysis: 5 and 2 half politicians, half a scientist, and half a military leader.
The Beeb pulled the page with the full list, but the Wayback Machine still has it. Wellington is 15th.Looking back, Diana looks out of place, and where is the Duke of Wellington?
Why? Except for the kindergarten teacher who died in a DUI accident, the list seems quite uncontroversial to me. I hadn't heard of Brunel before.Looking Back??
I remember shouting at the TV at the time.
Which one of those would be "half a scientist"? Benjamin Franklin? Thomas Edison? Or Albert Einstein?
Lance Armstrong, of course. The science of battling cancer. The science of blood doping. The science of bullying.
ETA: Hint: Noztradamus was only referring to the top 10.
Ah, yes!
My mistake. I apologize to Noztradamus for misreading.
And yeah, that list of the 25 is timeless. I am sure that Bill Clinton, Oprah Winfrey and Lance Armstrong will make the cut in the next 50 years or so.
Ah, yes!
My mistake. I apologize to Noztradamus for misreading.
And yeah, that list of the 25 is timeless. I am sure that Bill Clinton, Oprah Winfrey and Lance Armstrong will make the cut in the next 50 years or so.
You left out GWB.
Lance Armstrong wouldn't make the cut right now.
Which one of those would be "half a scientist"? Benjamin Franklin? Thomas Edison? Or Albert Einstein?
Neither Edison or Einstein made the top 10, which is the correct comparison to the UK list.
And by "half a scientist" I meant it was unsure whether Franklin was there for science or politics (although I would bet on the latter)
Why? Except for the kindergarten teacher who died in a DUI accident, the list seems quite uncontroversial to me. I hadn't heard of Brunel before.
Looking back, Diana looks out of place, and where is the Duke of Wellington?
I'm not sure James Connolly who came in at 64th was quite the kind of person the Beeb were thinking of![]()
Why not? I've seen a lot of statues of him up.
In Dublin.
I looked at the full list and Wellington is 15th. I would have had him in the top 10 (swapping places with Nelson), but not too bad.