• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Top Gear racist remark (again)

Have you heard the term "slope" as a racially offensive term?

  • I'm from the UK and I've heard it

    Votes: 30 9.3%
  • I'm from the UK and I've not heard it

    Votes: 51 15.8%
  • I'm from the US or Australia and I've heard it

    Votes: 99 30.7%
  • I'm from the US or Australia and I've not heard it

    Votes: 67 20.7%
  • I'm from elsewhere and I've heard it

    Votes: 22 6.8%
  • I'm from elsewhere and I've not heard it

    Votes: 52 16.1%
  • On Planet X there are no racial epithets

    Votes: 2 0.6%

  • Total voters
    323
Not surprised about Korea, am pleasantly surprised by Japan's rating. Thought they'd be more at the end where Korea was.
Granted, my experience is limited.
 
I'd agree with the Vietnam era movie thing. Not funny joke in bad taste.

What's the demographic age for Top Gear? 65 and older?
 
Saying one race is more racist than others is actually quite racist, yes?

Having said that, last year there was a story in the news that claimed that the most racist country is India followed by Jordan.

I'm not going to make any claims regarding how valid this study is.



News
w w w .dailymail.co.uk /news/article-2325502/Map-shows-worlds-racist-countries-answers-surprise-you.html

I will. It sucks.
 
I'd agree with the Vietnam era movie thing. Not funny joke in bad taste.

What's the demographic age for Top Gear? 65 and older?

65 and older would be for the news channels. Top Gear is probably aiming for the 18-35 type of demographic.
 
I genuinely find it hard to believe that any educated, worldly-wise UK adult can be unaware of the word "slope" as a pejorative racial epithet aimed at people of South-East-Asian and East-Asian ethnicity.

You know, I am those things (I hope) and I hadn't.

Or rather I had, but I hadn't noticed the specific word being used because I'd only heard it in US films.
 
I actually watched the episode(s) in question now. Not uninteresting - a road trip through the north of Myanmar to Thailand in three local lorries. Far too much silliness, could have been condensed in one hour, but still interesting to watch. Must have been quite exhausting even in reality, with a bit more "backing" than the story has.

Contains a scene where they sit around a table in the middle of nowhere wondering why they had been (more or less) the first "journalists" allowed to travel that almost untouched part of the country. They settled with suspecting that the intention of the regime was to make the three of them the first white people the population sees, to outline the superiority of their own system. "You want to live like Westerners? Just look at them!" Didn't find that too far-fetched. ;)
 
Yes, it is a definite racial slur.
My father who was in the US Army during the Vietnam War used the term when he saw an Asian
out and about in Fayetteville NC.

I stopped watching that ridiculous show.
Manchildren for real. Rude, mean and ignorant.
 
I absolutely agree with the argument that they are playing up to characters on the show, but I do have to say that while I have seen James May (Man Lab and that thing about toys he did a while back) and Richard Hammond (the building a planet thing and other science shows) being relatively likable, generally sensible and reasonable and very entertaining people, I have yet to see Clarkson as anything but a rude and rather unpleasant person.

Note that I found him interesting and fairly entertaining on QI, but I still found him to be an unpleasant person. Perhaps I should watch his war documentaries?
 
I absolutely agree with the argument that they are playing up to characters on the show, but I do have to say that while I have seen James May (Man Lab and that thing about toys he did a while back) and Richard Hammond (the building a planet thing and other science shows) being relatively likable, generally sensible and reasonable and very entertaining people, I have yet to see Clarkson as anything but a rude and rather unpleasant person.

Note that I found him interesting and fairly entertaining on QI, but I still found him to be an unpleasant person. Perhaps I should watch his war documentaries?

He was pretty reverent about the merchant mariners in the doc about PQ-17.
 
He was pretty reverent about the merchant mariners in the doc about PQ-17.

He was excellent in his episode of the "Great Britons" series. He persuaded the public to vote Isambard Kingdom Brunel as the greatest ever Briton, beating Churchill, Shakespeare, Elizabeth I, Newton etc.

 
He was excellent in his episode of the "Great Britons" series. He persuaded the public to vote Isambard Kingdom Brunel as the greatest ever Briton, beating Churchill, Shakespeare, Elizabeth I, Newton etc.


Brunel finished second behind Churchill but the fact that he finished so high was IMO largely due to the Clarkson programme.

Holy ****, it was 12 years ago :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Greatest_Britons
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom