• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Have you ever tried to dox yourself?

Have you tried to doxx yourself?

  • Yes, I have and it's not good

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Yes, I have, but nothing serious came up

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • No ways - I'm too worried about what I'll find

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • No, because I'm not a narcissist

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • On Planet X doxx are a critically endangered species

    Votes: 6 27.3%

  • Total voters
    22
  • Poll closed .
Searching anglolawyer and surrey, I found a forum where there were lots of curious posts quoting anglolawyer, yet no posts actually written by anglolawyer. The text that anglolawyer supposedly posted appeared in posts by first-name-last-name, as if you'd changed your handle on that forum from anglolawyer to your real name and the software had dynamically changed the name in all the first posts but not in the quoted posts.

Searching for first-name-last-name, I found a post by that name on a different forum, suggesting that people check out your posts on another forum where you went by anglolawyer, so that confirmed it.

Ah, sneaky of you! Yes, I was anglolawyer elsewhere and then asked to use my real name after a while. I kind of agree with JHunter about anonymity. It's OK here because there are rules but mostly people seem to use it to abuse. So everybody should be doxed and outed!
 
I chose to use my real first name (ten years ago! when the web was still trustworthy) and I'm curious and a little afraid of what you http ninjas can do...
 
I chose to use my real first name (ten years ago! when the web was still trustworthy) and I'm curious and a little afraid of what you http ninjas can do...

Your last name is part of the title of your old blogspot blog, though it doesn't contain your first name. Nice hat. :)

Batman rapping is pretty cool.

I'm curious what others can find on me. This kind of doxing is something you can't really do for yourself, because you already know what to search for and what to follow up on, amid all the random noise. (edited to add: I mean it's too easy to do for oneself.) I use my real name on most other forums except this and one other.
 
Last edited:
Pup, wow. Dunno about the batman thing tho, but the rest is spot on. And the hat is cool. ;)

Agree on self-searching, the signals leap from the noise. Also, google's tailored results are already loaded with the sites you frequent, so there's a bias that surrounds you.
 
OMG, I searched for Skeptic Ginger and found I have a hate blogger.

:dl:

I can't believe anyone cares that much.
 
Pup, wow. Dunno about the batman thing tho, but the rest is spot on. And the hat is cool.

You didn't think this video of a Batman rap was better than +1 internets, a few weeks ago? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeVLH8s_3M8

If not, it's a good example of how someone might have a "twin" with the same name, same country of residence, and same general interests, that mucks up such searches.
 
OMG. All my secrets are belong to you! I had forgotten that one, but I do have a short stack.

Octavo, what have you started! <shakes fist in air>
 
My name and pictures are splattered all over the internetz. I'm probably an 8/10 on stalkability.
You are being stalked at this very moment on Folding@Home, Heh-Heh!
(Twirls imaginary moustachios.)

I know I've posted my name & address quite openly on JREF before now, so it wouldn't take the NSA to find me, either.
 
nothing on me that I could find, maybe I did it wrong.
 
Found this -

First off for the n00bs out in the world who have heard the
term, but dont know what it means, dox is short for docs which short for
documents... You want to find the information (documents) on somebody for
whatever reason. You are doxing somebody


It's often surprisingly easy to do. People leave a lot of footprints.
Following the instructions on that site, I Googled my email address and there were no hits if I put it in quotes and nothing related if I didn't.

I stay signed out of FB, and I had a Twitter account I only used once so I just deleted it.

I'm sure I'm findable, heaven knows my name has enough JREF hits. But I use different names on different forums, and there is some other Skeptic Ginger out there.

I don't think I'm easy to find. Could be wrong of course. FB follows you everywhere which is why I stay logged out of it.
 
My business email, OTOH, turns up my name and a whole lot of other stuff.

Wow! Confidential information that no way should be there is. I have contacted the source to correct some things.
 
Last edited:
Whew! It's gone now. One of my contractors makes information public online re who they contract with. They scanned in information they shouldn't have.

Thanks for the thread!!!!

It was ID-thief-bad but it's no longer there. It's a lesson for you though.
 
I have no experience digging deeply for this kind of stuff, and not a lot of patience either.

I am sure at various times I've mentioned the town I live in, and with that, a few other forum memberships come up, which tell you that I dabble with machinery and have done some Volvo repair, and maybe that I own a pistol.

Somewhere in the many postings I've made here, I could probably find references to my being married to a person born in Cuba, formerly married to a person born in Switzerland, parent of three and stepparent of one, and a few non-vital details. Oh, and for sure that I had a sister, long deceased, who was very active in the civil rights struggle long ago.

Not a whole lot else is obvious. So, given that we know my birthdate is 12/15/1947, and I live in Benson, Vermont, can cut a thread, rebuild a strut and (if avatar is to be believed) dig a hole, I'm curious what else comes up.

Go for it.
 
Last edited:
I have no experience digging deeply for this kind of stuff, and not a lot of patience either.

I am not particularly good or patient at this either, but with very little effort it seems apparent that you're at least a part-time machinist by trade (or an extremely advanced hobbyist.) Did you ever find a buyer for your cheese press? (I'm not trying to show off my skillz; I'm just genuinely curious about it.)

If I had to guess, I'd say that your initials are H, S, and C in some order. That's very likely wrong though. Again, not patient or skilled - just a hunch.
 
I don't think they hate you anymore -that post is four years old.

I noticed they had no followers and no replies. And I see I'm not the only disliked JREF member. But I am flattered someone was that bothered by my posts to have a blog entry just to rant about how awful I am.

If you click on a number of those names you get posts about UncaYimmy.

It is a bizarre blog who's ever it is.
 
Someone needs to cough up here. Or, rather it would be appreciated. :)

I found stuff following my email addresses but not much just looking at my user name here or my profile info. My real name is in every phone listing but I've known that for a long time, and you can look up just about anybody with a name and a city.

My business is listed in a dozen places that never asked me, as I noted above.

I've long given up caring that anyone could find me by my name. It's fun to look up people's addresses on Google because you can actually see what their house looks like. And on Zillow, in the US anyway, you can even see what it's worth. It's mind boggling to think Zillow has every address in the US and every home value. That's an incredible data base.
 
I am not particularly good or patient at this either, but with very little effort it seems apparent that you're at least a part-time machinist by trade (or an extremely advanced hobbyist.) Did you ever find a buyer for your cheese press? (I'm not trying to show off my skillz; I'm just genuinely curious about it.)

If I had to guess, I'd say that your initials are H, S, and C in some order. That's very likely wrong though. Again, not patient or skilled - just a hunch.
I am an amateur machinist at most and never found a taker for the cheese press in the cheese business. One of my kids likes odd bits of machinery, and I convinced him that somehow some day he will find a use for its ingenious double-ratio worm-driven rack and pinion.

I'm actually an M.J.C. A diligent searcher undeterred by diminishing returns could probably get my whole name from some posting hints in the last couple of years, but it gets harder with time.
 
A long time ago when searching for my username , I wanted to have either a username which was unique enough, but then looking it up on internet somebody could link my profile to my real name, which is incredibly unique in google you would find only reference of me with my real name, OR use something which is widespread. I compromised and used the same username as a gamer's group was using. It is widespread enough that it would be hard to decide what's from me or not from me , but unique enough i feel like a special snowflake ;).

ETA: funnily enough I found the real name of somebody I knew from a Wow guild and met in real life in chemnitz...
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom