• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Merged 5.9 Quake Hits Virginia

I work in downtown DC; I can tell it you shook pretty good....can't say I liked it.

Yep, I'm in Laurel, MD, very wobbly jello-y kind of shaking. Different from the rumble that came through from Rockville last year. About 30 seconds or less I would say. Started out lightly like a heavy cart rolling down the hallway and quickly escalated to "Holy cow it's an earthquake!" before tailing off.
 
A reporter on our CBS affiliate just said, "I remember vividly where I was when the quake struck". Really, something that happened just over 3 hours ago. :rolleyes:
 
I will say this: my desk and chair was rocking side to side, my work building evacuated, and I did not enjoy the experience. I hope to never feel an earthquake again.

:(
 
I felt a deep rumble about that time. Turns out it was just the barrito I had for lunch.
 
I'm bored already. I want another.

So did I unlock some kind of achievement? Do I get a badge?

YES YOU DO!

picture.php


Enjoy! :)


We felt it here in Windsor Connecticut. I work on the third floor. People started to race to the door but I was fine....up until the three monitors mounted to the ceiling next to my desk began making a grinding noise and swung in my direction.

That's when I stood up and stepped away.....
 
Felt it in downtown Pittsburgh, 29th floor. The floor felt like a boat bobbing up and down about four or five times. I saw plants moving like they were in a light breeze.


Felt it here in Carnegie (a few miles southwest of Pittsburgh, PA for those who don't know). Second floor of a two-story office building. Pretty obvious back-and-forth, the sound of my desk drawers bumping into the frame lightly, and shaking blinds.

That was fun. My first earthquake!


Mine, too. There was one last year that others in my area felt, but I didn't.
 
Either I was in the only office in SC that didn't feel it or a lot of folks down here didn't want anyone to think they'd been left out. :rolleyes:
 
How long before some semi-prominent lame-brain says that God was sending Washington a message?

What message could that be, if (a) God missed Washington (oops!) and (b) the only confirmed quake damage so far is to the National Cathedral?
 
How long before some semi-prominent lame-brain says that God was sending Washington a message?


I saw two tweets that said they'd JUST started reading Penn's book when it happened and a third suggesting he write a sequel called "God Yes." :D
 
Yep, I live in Northern VA and definitely felt it. Shook some water out of the cup on my desk and definitely rattled the building. Quite an interesting feeling - I've lived here all my life and obviously am not as blase about it as the west coasters.

Had to go outside the building for about 10 minutes or so, then back to work. All and all, nothing really out of the ordinary, except for that unusual half a minute.
 
Definitely felt it and thought at first I was having a stroke or something until I saw the plants in the office were moving. It upset some of my coworkers. I know that West Coast folks are giving us in NYC and DC a hard time, but many of us were 20 or 40 stories up in ancient inelastic brick buildings that have never been subjected to much seismic activity. I know that the shiny skyscrapers are fine...I'm thinking about the hundreds of 10 story to 40 story stacks of brick that are all over the City.
 
Damage to the National Cathedral. Clearly Satan is behind this.

Bad photo, but the top of the spire to the left has been knocked off, and the one on the right is askew.
 

Attachments

  • NC.jpg
    NC.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom