Felt it in Chautauqua county, NY. I don't know what is more disturbing, the amount my house swayed (to be fair this house dates back to the late 1700's), of the fact that I just sat here wondering what that was.
Felt it in Chautauqua county, NY. I don't know what is more disturbing, the amount my house swayed (to be fair this house dates back to the late 1700's), of the fact that I just sat here wondering what that was.
In our offices, it sounded like someone was pounding a wall, as if pounding in a nail to hang a picture or something. (So far, nobody knows what that noise actually was; some thought it was coming from workers on the roof.) I heard that noise before I realized that the floor was wobbling. The wobbling lasted about thirty seconds by my estimation, but others thought it continued for minutes after I'd thought it had stopped.
I went to the window to see if there was any visible damage or smoke around the city. I saw none. Nearby brick smokestacks were standing just as before. (I understand the earthquake was felt up in Sudbury, where they have a smokestack that is almost as tall as the Empire State Building.)
Looked for the return of Jesus. Didn't see him.
What would cause an earthquake on the east coast?
It all Obama's fault.
Yeah, I said it.
What would cause an earthquake on the east coast?
Some swaying can be good-- it means your house is flexing to absorb some of the rocking & rollingA totally static structure (like a brick house*) that doesn't sway is more likely to crack & crumble.
I live in a wooden 1-story house in an earthquake-prone region. When a really big quake hits, I fully expect my house to sway and fall off of its foundation, but hopefully won't collapse. My office (in a concrete building that isn't up to modern earthquake codes) will probably crumble and crush all of its occupants...
*Now I've got that song stuck in my head.
Felt it in Chautauqua county, NY. I don't know what is more disturbing, the amount my house swayed (to be fair this house dates back to the late 1700's), of the fact that I just sat here wondering what that was.
I note there appears to be a man-made lake near the epicenter, which indicates a natural rift in the landscape.




What would cause an earthquake on the east coast?
It's not all that unusual:What would cause an earthquake on the east coast?
The most dangerous fault line in North America is located around New Madrid, Missouri, and runs in a T shape across parts of Arkansas, Tennessee, and Kentucky. There were a series of major earthquakes in this area that occurred in the winter of 1811-12 and ranged between 8 and 8.9 on the Richter scale. The tremors were so great that the Mississippi River flowed backwards and people screamed in terror in the streets of New York.
Sorry Kmortis, it was an oversight. Thanks for the fix.Oh, that reminds me, got to check out GodLikeProductions for a good laugh.
Yikes, here's half the current page of thread titles.