• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Merged 5.9 Quake Hits Virginia

Heh, it's a little amusing to view this from the west coast perspective. Most of us are pretty blase about smaller quakes, except the news media, who have to spend the next 24 hours running around reporting on whether people felt it or not.

I'm no geologist, but I think the biggest factor here on the east coast is the type of bedrock the quake goes through, and the depth (less than 1/2 a mile according to USGS). I guess that's what makes it special in these parts.

Of course, if LA ever got 6 inches of snow they'd shut down whilst us here in New England would be mad our shoes got wet.
 
That was fun. My first earthquake! At first I thought the cats were scratching on the couch and as I went to yell at them it picked up in intensity a bit to the point where I realized the cats weren't strong enough to do it. Then the pictures and shelves started shaking. Pretty freaky but fun stuff.
 
Heh, it's a little amusing to view this from the west coast perspective. Most of us are pretty blase about smaller quakes, except the news media, who have to spend the next 24 hours running around reporting on whether people felt it or not.

....
I'm pretty sure a 5.9 would occupy conversations for at least a few days, even on the West Coast. :)
 
I'm no geologist, but I think the biggest factor here on the east coast is the type of bedrock the quake goes through, and the depth (less than 1/2 a mile according to USGS). I guess that's what makes it special in these parts.

Of course, if LA ever got 6 inches of snow they'd shut down whilst us here in New England would be mad our shoes got wet.
Hah!. I've seen Colorado Springs practically shut down after a little snowfall and they get snow every year.
 
I'm not far from the epicenter. I was driving and it was actually scarcely noticeable on the road. My car did that weird swaying kinda thing like when you're on a bridge and a big truck goes by, or there are really strong winds. But there was no wind or truck.
 
That was fun. My first earthquake! At first I thought the cats were scratching on the couch and as I went to yell at them it picked up in intensity a bit to the point where I realized the cats weren't strong enough to do it. Then the pictures and shelves started shaking. Pretty freaky but fun stuff.

Great. Now your cats are going to think they have the power to shake the house every time they scratch the sofa.

I felt it here in my office on the 12th floor on Madison Avenue. It's the second one I've felt here in New York City, the first being about 20 years ago. Disconcerting but what can you do...

Michael
 
We felt it outside of Chicago, but some of my friends in other areas around here didn't.

I work north of Chicago, and right before 1pm local time I thought I heard some kind of rumbling, but I didn't know if it was thunder or not (we've been having rain all day). Weird.

On another note, it seems this has brought out all of the weirdos. I've already seen numerous comments on news websites about how "God is judging Washington DC, Obama, Congress..." :rolleyes:
 
I know a guy who's blaming it on Comet Elenin.
Oh, that reminds me, got to check out GodLikeProductions for a good laugh.

Yikes, here's half the current page of thread titles.
***BREAKING8*** 5.8 EQ IN VIRGINIA...QUAKE!!!
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

USGS SAYS THIS MAY BE FORESHOCK
Page 1, 2, 3, 4

Call me paranoid about the quakes but
Page 1, 2

****BANK OF AMERICA will COLLAPSE**** ENOUGH EARTHQUAKE STUFF!!!
Page 1, 2

JFK and Newark airports shut down due to quake? WTF???

The EVENT predicts a big ass earthquake in Washington DC wiping out the Washington monument

OBAMA'S Approval rating hit the ground!! Caused 5.9 quake

10 MILES FROM EPICENTER...HOLY **** !!!!
Page 1, 2, 3

PIN THIS!!!!TWO NUKE REACTORS TAKEN OFFLINE FOLLOWING DC QUAKE!!!
Page 1, 2

EARTHQUAKE IN UPSTATE NEW YORK?

Breaking(literally): Washington Monument Tilting Due to Earthquake
Page 1, 2, 3, 4

After shock???2.8 now in virgina..

Earthquake was felt in Columbus,Ohio. Bed shaking left and right! El

5.8 felt in in PA
Page 1, 2

HURRICANE ALREADY FORCING MANDITORY EVACUATIONS IN NC Jags~Beach 6

** US EQ Question: Does the epicenter lie on a fault ? **
Page 1, 2

felt that EQ here in eastern ky !

EARTHQUAKE WARNING!@!@!@! THIS IS IT!@!@#@!#!@#
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

earthquake Baltimore Maryland !!!!

Earthquake Toronto Ontario???

DOOMGASM!!!
Page 1, 2

Earthquake South Central NJ????

Just felt an earthquake in GEORGIA! Anyone Else?
Page 1, 2

Natural gas leaks in earth quake areas?

Earthquake in Montreal
Page 1, 2

OMG here in NC hICKORY AREA/ I think we just had a earthquake.

Confirmed Reports of U.S. Capitol building, Pentagon Evacuation due to earthquake

Quake right now central CT OMFG WTF

EARTH QUAKE TREMORS FELT IN TORONTO GTA !!!

RAPID FIRE US/Global Wrap 60 minute RANT& Wind-down News 6:00 PM

EARTHQUAKE IN DELAWARE

PIN---EARTHQUAKE NOW NORTHERN VIRGINIA...DAMAGE....​HOLY ****..
Page 1, 2

BREAKING - 5.8 EARTHQUAKE IN VIRGINIA! PENTAGON EVACUATING!

Earthquake in D.C.*** I felt it in North Carolina

QUAKE felt in toronto

jsut felt the quake in boston!

BREAKING: Ongoing Earthquake DOOM in Colorado---WTF
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

BREAKING 5.8 EQ in DC Area

CNN anchor acting very strange live right now

Scientists warn that aliens may come to destroy us SHIN THIS PIT!!

Was there an earthquake? I didn't see any pins about it.

Much ado about nothing... FOX NEWS

SHEP IS DONE TALKING ABOUT THE QUAKE????

False Flag EQ !!!, No planes in sky: excuse to ground them, 1.km deep not possible

REMEMBER THE MISSILE OFF THE WEST COAST LAST YEAR??? TODAY WAS THE 2ND WARNING SHOT FROM CHINA!!!

[[[[EARTHQUAKE]]]] AMERICA IS BEING PUNISHED BY GOD FOR PASSING HOMOSEXUAL LEGISLATION!
Page 1, 2

If anyone is evacuating from NC coast ahead of Hurricane Irene, you are welcome to stay on my farm in Western NC!

IM AT THE EPICENTER AND SMELL SULFUR!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hurricane Irene issues press release: "Hey U.S. east coast, I'm still here!"
 
That was fun. My first earthquake! At first I thought the cats were scratching on the couch and as I went to yell at them it picked up in intensity a bit to the point where I realized the cats weren't strong enough to do it. Then the pictures and shelves started shaking. Pretty freaky but fun stuff.

Nah, that wasn't the earthquake. Your cats have developed superpowers.
 
Husband: "I only wish we'd been having sex, so I could ask if the earth moved for you, too."
 
I work north of Chicago, and right before 1pm local time I thought I heard some kind of rumbling, but I didn't know if it was thunder or not (we've been having rain all day). Weird.
My first thought was the big sinkhole that opened suddenly downtown a day or 2 back, rather than earthquake. :D

On another note, it seems this has brought out all of the weirdos. I've already seen numerous comments on news websites about how "God is judging Washington DC, Obama, Congress..." :rolleyes:
Judging them by... rattling windows? Knocking over lawnchairs?

Very... uh, biblical.
 
Felt it on LI at 1:53 EDT. It lasted maybe 3-4 minutes. This is only the second I've felt on LI in 45 years.
 
I'm no geologist, but I think the biggest factor here on the east coast is the type of bedrock the quake goes through, and the depth (less than 1/2 a mile according to USGS). I guess that's what makes it special in these parts.

Of course, if LA ever got 6 inches of snow they'd shut down whilst us here in New England would be mad our shoes got wet.

Depth has been updated to 3.7 miles (6 km)-- the USGS website usually shows a temporary bogus (very shallow) depth shortly after the quake while the actual depth is calculated.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom