• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Merged 5.9 Quake Hits Virginia

Hmmmm.....I thought I felt the building sway a bit, but no one else seemed to notice....I'm in Hull, Quebec.
 
My store starting making funny noises and some thing made odd squeaking sounds. I thought I was going crazy until I checked the USGS site.
It's coincidence. We told you not to build on a Pet Semetary, but you with all your "scienciness" said it would be fine.
 
Yep, felt it here in NYC. Happen to be home today. At first I thought it was just construction! Even though it was quiet strong -- my table and doors were shaking.

In hindsight I realized that may have been the reason why one of my cats was very hyper earlier today. She is usually pretty calm.

There was no advance warning for this? I'm very surprised.
 
Felt it here in the Adirondacks, too.

There's rarely ever any advance warning, but that may be changing.

"Detecting stress changes before an earthquake has been the Holy Grail in earthquake seismology for years and has motivated our research," said study co-author Paul Silver of the Carnegie Institution of Science's Department of Terrestrial Magnetism. "Researchers have been trying to precisely and continuously measure these velocity changes for decades, but it has been possible only recently, with improved technology, to obtain the necessary precision and reliability."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080709144210.htm
 
Last edited:
I felt a wee shaking in Atlanta. I thought I was imagining it, but then Twitter exploded.
 
Looks like you guys got what we call out here in California a picture adjuster.

It hits and then you spend the next few minutes straightening all your framed pictures on the wall while making bets on how powerful it was and far away.
 
Looks like you guys got what we call out here in California a picture adjuster.
It hits and then you spend the next few minutes straightening all your framed pictures on the wall while making bets on how powerful it was and far away.

Nice name for it, I'm gonna use it. :)
 
Definitely felt it in London, Ontario (about 2 hours SW of Toronto) but it was light and lasted 3-4 seconds at most.

I am on the 19th floor of a 20 floor office tower.

Never considered Virginia much of a quake zone.

Charlie (shake your booty) Monoxide
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom