• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Ed Olympic swimmers may have lied about being robbed

I put this in Sports but I'll put it here too.

In re to Ryan Lochte, my father used to have a sign on his desk that read:

You're only young once, but you can remain immature indefinitely!

Dude, you are 32 damn yo, way too old to be playing the immature card.
 
Really, you guys are doubling down claiming an $11,000 fine was just business as usual?:rolleyes:

They didn't hand over cash in a paper bag to the local Police Chief.
It's an institutionalized judicial fine.

Hell... for whatever reason they've managed to cut the local charities in on the deal. I've paid a few of them here and I'm pretty sure it all went straight to the local governments coffers.

Plus they got to skip the drawn out court process... I'd have paid extra for that.


Is there rampant corruption there (and around the world including the US)?

Of course there is... no one has denied it.
But this, fortunately, doesn't appear to be an example of it.
 
Last edited:
Congratulations America, for keeping the Olympic Games so oh so very classy.

:rolleyes:
 
Last edited:
Finally apologises to Brazil....kind of

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37147031

But CCTV footage contradicted that story, showing the men had vandalised the petrol station.

Mr Lochte told Globo TV, Brazil's largest broadcaster, that he had not lied over what happened.

"I wasn't lying to a certain extent," he said. "I over-exaggerated what was happening to me."

He added that he was sorry, saying: "Brazil doesn't deserve that."
 
The Irish have been using this "system" for some time - the Court Poor Box.
"...The most common reason for making a decision such as this is that, in the opinion of the judge, while the prosecution has proven its case, it is not appropriate to enter a conviction. For example, the judge may anticipate that the defendant will not commit any other offence."

And it is not uncommon in the US either.
From traffic ticket to deductible donation.
So your fine is tax deductible in the US.
I doubt if the US swimmers' donations are tax deductible?

A number of provinces of Canada, such as Ontario, allow it.
Although the Public Prosecution Service of Canada is not a fan of it, it concedes that "Other federal statutes may permit the making of payments to organizations, as a component of alternative measures or sentence. "

The upshot of the Brasilian judge giving the US swimmers the option of a donation is that they "dodge" a conviction
The judge actually did the swimmers a favour by not entering in a conviction, with the possibility of jail time, community service and/or a fine.
That's the distinction between a fine and a donation. The former comes with a conviction, the latter does not.

At least they weren't forced to donate blood.
For Offenders Who Can’t Pay, It’s a Pint of Blood or Jail Time
“Good morning, ladies and gentlemen,” began Judge Wiggins, a circuit judge here in rural Alabama since 1999. “For your consideration, there’s a blood drive outside,” he continued, according to a recording of the hearing. “If you don’t have any money, go out there and give blood and bring in a receipt indicating you gave blood.”

For those who had no money or did not want to give blood, the judge concluded: “The sheriff has enough handcuffs.”​
While this isn't corruption, it is certainly a violation of their personal rights.
I'd call it out-and-out blackmail by the judge.
But he was only threatening poor people, not rich US Olympic swimmers, so I guess there is nothing to worry about with this one.
 
Last edited:
For those who had no money or did not want to give blood, the judge concluded: “The sheriff has enough handcuffs.”[/INDENT]While this isn't corruption, it is certainly a violation of their personal rights.
I'd call it out-and-out blackmail by the judge.
But he was only threatening poor people, not rich US Olympic swimmers, so I guess there is nothing to worry about with this one.

Bad time to be HIV+ or a haemophiliac. Well, if you're poor...
 
Speedo just dropped its sponsorship of Lochte:

"Speedo USA today announces the decision to end its sponsorship of Ryan Lochte. As part of this decision, Speedo USA will donate a $50,000 portion of Lochte’s fee to Save The Children, a global charity partner of Speedo USA’s parent company, for children in Brazil," the company said in a statement.

"While we have enjoyed a winning relationship with Ryan for over a decade and he has been an important member of the Speedo team, we cannot condone behavior that is counter to the values this brand has long stood for. We appreciate his many achievements and hope he moves forward and learns from this experience," the company added.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/speedo-usa-drops-sponsorship-ryan-lochte-amid-scandal/story?id=41571638
 
When I was drafted, I went through Basic Training with multiple other trainees who were there because of judges giving them a choice of joining the Army or going to jail. Those judges weren't doing the Army any favors by sending them those losers.
 
When I was drafted, I went through Basic Training with multiple other trainees who were there because of judges giving them a choice of joining the Army or going to jail. Those judges weren't doing the Army any favors by sending them those losers.

AKA - "10 in the pen, or 4 in the Corps". Yeah, we had some of those, too.
 

Lost more

Ralph Lauren and Syneron-Candela have ditched him

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/22/speedo-ends-sponsorship-ryan-lochte/89099284/

Speedo was the first, announcing early Monday it dropped its sponsorship of embattled U.S. swimmer Ryan Lochte, By the end of the day, three other companies also said they would cut ties with him.
 
From HufPo comment section: Connie McCampbell Smith ·
...and that is the moment that Ryan Lochte came to the realization that the only person who robbed him in Rio was himself.
 
I hate to say I told you so. But I told you so.

I tried to go back and see what you predicted. I didn't see anything much other than "must be something more" and this:

I can see a scenario that involves a woman but will wait for more facts.

You were clearly right. How did you know that the whole thing would be because a 32 year old was telling tales to his mommy?
 
I tried to go back and see what you predicted. I didn't see anything much other than "must be something more" and this:



You were clearly right. How did you know that the whole thing would be because a 32 year old was telling tales to his mommy?

From Page 1

Wouldn't be the first time these things have happened

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathie...w_Zealand_tour

Quote:
Bastareaud was included in the French tour to New Zealand and Australia in June 2009, but returned to France early after sustaining facial injuries. He initially claimed that he had been assaulted from behind by "four or five men" outside his Wellington hotel as he was returning from a night out. The New Zealand Police launched an investigation into the assault and turned up security camera footage of Bastareaud returning uninjured to his hotel with four other people at 5:22 am that night, confirming the assault could not have taken place. Bastareaud subsequently stated that he had been drunk and had sustained the injuries after tripping over a table in his hotel room, and that he had concocted the original story in order to avoid getting in trouble with team management

Page 2

By the looks they weren't ripped off.

Sounds like they used it as an excuse for something and got their stories wrong.

Hence the warrants

Page 2

They still had their stuff when they got back. They mixed their stories up. Their is about 3 hours time difference on arrival. They were laughing and joking when they got back.

And with the Olympics spotlight on the cops if currupt are obviously not chose athletes with diplomatic reps there

Fair point

Will take it on board

Just sounds a bit Basteraud
 
I'm sorry, I didn't see where they tripped and hit their head on the table, either. WE expect a bit more specificity from psychics around here.
Its the scerario for anyone who can read the situations generally and not pedantically
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom