• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Ed Olympic swimmers may have lied about being robbed

I felt kind of sorry for the other (non-Lochte) swimmers caught up in this. Seeing the media hounding them as they tried to board the plane, and having them get booed, has got to be quite a blow after working years to win a gold medal.
 
Nice nonpology from Lochte

"It's traumatic to be out late with your friends in a foreign country -- with a language barrier -- and have a stranger point a gun at you and demand money to let you leave, but regardless of the behavior of anyone else that night, I should have been much more responsible in how I handled myself and for that am sorry to my teammates, my fans, my fellow competitors, my sponsors, and the hosts of this great event,"

http://abcnews.go.com/US/ryan-lochte-apologizes-behavior-rio/story?id=41511737
 
Full text of Lochte's statement which he obviously didn't write himself...

Ryan Lochte said:
I want to apologize for my behavior last weekend - for not being more careful and candid in how I described the events of that early morning and for my role in taking the focus away from the many athletes fulfilling their dreams of participating in the Olympics.

I waited to share these thoughts until it was confirmed that the legal situation was addressed and it was clear that my teammates would be arriving home safely.

It's traumatic to be out late with your friends in a foreign country - with a language barrier - and have a stranger point a gun at you and demand money to let you leave, but regardless of the behavior of anyone else that night, I should have been much more responsible in how I handled myself and for that am sorry to my teammates, my fans, my fellow competitors, my sponsors, and the hosts of this great event.

I am very proud to represent my country in Olympic competition and this was a situation that could and should have been avoided. I accept responsibility for my role in this happening and have learned some valuable lessons.

I am grateful for my USA Swimming teammates and the USOC, and appreciate all of the efforts of the IOC, the Rio '16 Host Committee, and the people of Brazil who welcomed us to Rio and worked so hard to make sure that these Olympic Games provided a lifetime of great new memories.

There has already been too much said and too many valuable resources dedicated to what happened last weekend, so I hope we spend our time celebrating the great stories and performances of these Games and look ahead to celebrating future successes.

The words vandalize and destroy are nowhere in his Instagram statement which is to serve as an apology of sorts. He is apologizing for his choice of words afterwards and not the vandalism and refusal to pay for damages. He is still running on knucklehead fuel.
 
They say that the first thing we are to do is kill the lawyers. Right after Lochte's statement (probably written by his lawyer) his lawyer issued his own statement. We are to know that Ryan was robbed at gunpoint.

Lawyer Dude said:
A gun was pointed at the swimmers and they were forced to get out of their cab and give up their money.

No matter what happened at the gas station, the swimmers were robbed by people with a gun appearing to be law enforcement. No matter what country you are in that is robbery and robbery is a serious crime.
 
A few headlines I saw used the word "indicted" but that's probably not right.

Probably in Brazil it is up to a prosecutor or possibly a judge whether to formally charge someone. The police can recommend charges but the prosecutor or judge needs to actually file the charges. I'm just imagining this of course, I really don't know haw they do things there.
Maybe it's like the situation that used to prevail in England and Wales before the Crown Prosecution ServiceWP was created.
In 1962 a Royal Commission recommended that police forces set up independent prosecution departments so as to avoid having the same officers investigate and prosecute cases, although technically the prosecuting police officers did so as private citizens. The Royal Commission's recommendation was not implemented by all police forces however, and so in 1978 another Royal Commission was set up, this time headed by Sir Cyril Philips. It reported in 1981, recommending that a single unified Crown Prosecution Service with responsibility for all public prosecutions in England and Wales be set up.​
 
"robbed by people with a gun appearing to be law enforcement."

The moment that they said "police are on the way here", Lochte knew that these were not police. They were security guards who called for the police.

"give up their money"

This implies that they were robbed of all the money each of them had with them. That may not be true at all. We are still left wondering how they paid for the taxi ride if their wallets were cleaned out. Oh, and Lochte had his wallet taken as well.
 
Okay, maybe the better way to say it: It's not prosecuted. There are a few peculiarities in German law using this construction: It IS illegal, but you don't gain anything by prosecuting. So it's written explicitly in law that it cannot be prosecuted unless certain conditions are met.

For the "wasting police time": the term used in German law translates to "obstructing justice", but there are a lot of exceptions whether or not a willful lie can be prosecuted. Say, lying about the whereabouts of a perp (though there are graduations depending on the severity of the crime). See, German law recognizes that perps do not want to be caught, and most people cannot be forced to help police doing that. As an example, if you state "I don't know where he is", even though you do, this lie cannot be prosecuted. However, stating "He's in Berlin" when you know he's in Cologne at the other end of the country, it can, because that's sending police on a wild goose chase. (You can still send police to search in Berlin if you construct the lie carefully, and offers it as a possibility instead of an absolute fact, and get way with it). There's still the problem of proving that you know about Cologne, and proving that you state it intentionally to mislead police, which is why it's mostly considered a waste of time to prosecute.
Probably spelling it wrong but I guess it depends on the case

I think they would come down hard on lying in a murder. Aiding and abetting (sp?)

But I guess your right in most cases
 
Full text of Lochte's statement which he obviously didn't write himself...



The words vandalize and destroy are nowhere in his Instagram statement which is to serve as an apology of sorts. He is apologizing for his choice of words afterwards and not the vandalism and refusal to pay for damages. He is still running on knucklehead fuel.
The dude is a dickhead. Or his lawyer is.

How hard is it to say sorry for trying to make Brazil look *****
 
Sorry to keep going back to it but the situations are the same

This was bastareaud

"Again, I would like to apologise for all concerned: my federation, New Zealand, the staff, the players and especially everyone that was affected by my stupidity," Bastareaud said.

"I didn't realise that it would blow up so much. I didn't handle things as well as I could have done and for that I am sorry."
 
"robbed by people with a gun appearing to be law enforcement."

The moment that they said "police are on the way here", Lochte knew that these were not police. They were security guards who called for the police.

"give up their money"

This implies that they were robbed of all the money each of them had with them. That may not be true at all. We are still left wondering how they paid for the taxi ride if their wallets were cleaned out. Oh, and Lochte had his wallet taken as well.

One thing I am skeptical of, you can't urinate out in the open in Rio? I find that hard to believe. It must have been a "nice" neighborhood.
 
Public Pissers Shaken Down By Corrupt Cops. Civil rights activists are outraged saying it is a kind gesture but that the offenders can do it themselves.
 
I'm sure the rest of the US Olympic team are thrilled to have their achievements completely overshadowed by Lochte and co. Whatever else happens to him this should be Lochte's last time competing for the USA.
 
I'm sure the rest of the US Olympic team are thrilled to have their achievements completely overshadowed by Lochte and co. Whatever else happens to him this should be Lochte's last time competing for the USA.
Edit read post wrong.

Agree
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom