• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

What will happen at the Democratic Convention?

What will happen at the Democratic Convention?

  • Hillary Clinton will be the nominee.

    Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Bernie Sanders will be the nominee.

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Vermin Supreme will be the nominee.

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Someone else will be the nominee.

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Planet X will unleash their secret weapon - a 35 year old clone of Justin Trudeau who was born in Wa

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Other

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    27
  • Poll closed .
Conservative writer Ron Fournier:

Well done, @realDonaldTrump. You made Democrats a party of sunny patriotism and values.

You sure @billclinton didn't ask you to run?
 
So most of conservative media and the GOP spent the week rooting for Russia, and now the Democrats get to rally around the flag.

Dreadful.

— Steve Deace (@SteveDeaceShow) July 29, 2016
 
To quote the great British politician Benjamin Disrali, The Democrats did a great job of "Dishing The Whigs" last night.
 
So most of conservative media and the GOP spent the week rooting for Russia, and now the Democrats get to rally around the flag.

Dreadful.

— Steve Deace (@SteveDeaceShow) July 29, 2016

TO be fair, a great deal of the conservative media are showing dismay at Trump's statements on Russia,and are going the "he has been badly advised"
"and he will change his mind when presented the facts" route.
 
Rich Galen, press secretary for Dick Cheney:

How can it be that I am standing at my kitchen counter sobbing because of the messages being driven at the DNC? Where has the GOP gone?

Rich Galen (@richgalen) July 29, 2016
 
One GOPer disgusted with his party put it beautifuuly:

The Democratic Convention was about loving the USA;the GOP Convention was about Loving Donald Trump.

And both conventions were thoroughly disingenuous.
 
As a Bernie supporter I have spent the last couple of months resigning myself to the fact that, as expected, I would have to suck it up and vote for Hillary. I did watch many hours of the DNC coverage this week in the hopes that it would make me feel a bit more excited about the lever I would have to pull. A lot of late nights later I still can't say I am thrilled with the notion, despite some valiant efforts by some of the speakers.

I was sickened at times of the boos from the floor by some Sanders supporters. I can understand in this context letting your protest be known and making it omnipresent. Considering the context in which the Convention opened - the revelation of evidence that the DNC was partial to Hillary - I think it was rather restrained at the start. Debbie Wasserman-Schulz deserved every bit of revulsion that was piled on her.

Also, Hillary needs to be reminded that she takes the left for granted at her peril as she inevitably moves to the right, where she is comfortable. I too was deflated by the litany of militaristic speeches proclaiming how tough a CIC she will be. I too felt like shouting "No More War" to the speeches of the generals.

But the boos (especially night 1) were at inappropriate times and levels. These are smart, well-organized young people who have a valid point to make. Shouting "Black Lives Matter" over Cory Booker, that was just bad. Drowning out Elijiah Cummings speech with "Stop TPP!" - seriously what is the thinking behind this concept? Altering "Stronger Together" signs to read "Stop Her" - that is the kind of meme that can really hurt (to this day I think it was the "Sore Loserman" signs that led to Gore's loss of the 2000 election.) Some of the smugness of the 20-somethings being interviewed by the Teevee People threatening to vote 3rd party unless Hillary magically says or does something that makes them fall in love - well that was setting her up to fail.

But the biggest letdown was what was supposed to be the climax. To be fair, there was no way Hillary could impress the world with her oratorical prowess after two nights of masterful performances by Cory Booker, Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Joe Biden, Michael Bloomberg, Michelle Obama and a dozen others. Chelsea's introduction made me relieved that at least the Clinton dynasty ends with Hillary. But I found Hillary's speech to be absolutely devoid of poetry. The best lines were quotes by FDR and Jackie Kennedy. If she does become President I sure hope she finds herself some better speechwriters.

The top 10 highlights for me were:

10. Bernie's tweet to his supporters imploring them not to make asses of themselves.

9. Cory Booker:
This is the high call of patriotism. Patriotism is love of country. But you can't love your country without loving your countrymen and countrywomen. We don't always have to agree, but we must empower each other, we must find the common ground, we must build bridges across our differences to pursue the common good.

We can't devolve into a nation where our highest aspiration is that we just tolerate each other. We are not called to be a nation of tolerance. We are called to be a nation of love. Tolerance says I am just going to stomach your right to be different. That if you disappear from the face of the earth, I am no better or worse off.

But love – love knows that every American has worth and value, no matter what their background, race, religion, or sexual orientation. Love recognizes that we need each other, that we as a nation are better together, that when we are divided we are weak, we decline, yet when we are united we are strong – invincible!

8. Elizabeth Warren:
So-called experts claim America is in trouble because both political parties in Washington refuse to compromise. Gridlock!

That is just flat wrong. Washington works great for those at the top.
When giant companies wanted more tax loopholes, Washington got it done. When huge energy companies wanted to tear up our environment, Washington got it done. When enormous Wall Street banks wanted new regulatory loopholes, Washington got it done. No gridlock there!
But try to do something, anything, for working people, and you’ll have a fight on your hands.

7. Michael Bloomberg's (whom I intensely dislike) entire speech:



6. Michelle Obama:

And when I think about the kind of President that I want for my girls and all our children, that’s what I want. I want someone with the proven strength to persevere. Someone who knows this job and takes it seriously. Someone who understands that the issues a President faces are not black and white and cannot be boiled down to 140 characters. Because when you have the nuclear codes at your fingertips and the military in your command, you can’t make snap decisions. You can’t have a thin skin or a tendency to lash out. You need to be steady, and measured, and well-informed.

5. Joe Biden:
As Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, many are strong in the broken places." I've been made strong at the broken places by my love with Jill, by my heart and son Hunter and the love of my life, my Ashley. By all of you, and I mean this sincerely, those who have been through this, you know I mean what I say — by all of you, your love and prayers and support. But you know what, we talk about, we think about the countless thousands of other people who suffered so much more than we have, with so much less support. So much less reason to go on. But they get up every morning, every day. They put one foot in front of the other, they keep going. That is the unbreakable spirit of the people of America. That is who we are. That is who we are. Don't forget it.

4. Bernie Sanders:
I understand that many people here in this convention hall and around the country are disappointed about the final results of the nominating process. I think it’s fair to say that no one is more disappointed than I am. But to all of our supporters – here and around the country – I hope you take enormous pride in the historical accomplishments we have achieved.

Together, my friends, we have begun a political revolution to transform America and that revolution – Our Revolution – continues. Election days come and go. But the struggle of the people to create a government which represents all of us and not just the 1 percent – a government based on the principles of economic, social, racial and environmental justice – that struggle continues. And I look forward to being part of that struggle with you.

3. Barack Obama:

...And that's another bet that Donald Trump will lose. And the reason he'll lose it is because he’s selling the American people short. We're not a fragile people. We're not a frightful people. Our power doesn’t come from some self-declared savior promising that he alone can restore order as long as we do things his way. We don’t look to be ruled. Our power comes from those immortal declarations first put to paper right here in Philadelphia all those years ago: We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal; that We the People, can form a more perfect union.

That's who we are. That’s our birthright -- the capacity to shape our own destiny. That’s what drove patriots to choose revolution over tyranny and our GIs to liberate a continent. It’s what gave women the courage to reach for the ballot, and marchers to cross a bridge in Selma, and workers to organize and fight for collective bargaining and better wages. America has never been about what one person says he’ll do for us. It’s about what can be achieved by us, together -- through the hard and slow, and sometimes frustrating, but ultimately enduring work of self-government.

2. Joe Biden Part II:
Ladies and gentlemen, to state the obvious—and I’m not trying to be a wise guy here, I really mean it—that’s not Donald Trump’s story. Just listen to me a second without booing or cheering. I mean it sincerely—we should really think about this. His cynicism is unbounded. His lack of empathy and compassion can be summed up in a phrase I suspect he’s most proud of having made famous: “You’re fired!”

I mean really, I’m not joking. Think about that. Think about that. Think about everything you learned as a child, no matter where you were raised. How can there be pleasure in saying, “You’re fired!”?

1. Khizr Khan:


There's something profound about a cynical old guy like me having tears welling up at political speeches on TV. I just wish Hillary could evoke them too. Not gonna happen, nope.
 
Conservative blogger AGConservative:

Still stunned. Feel like I'm in the twilight zone. Obama just defended America & conservative values from attacks by the Republican nominee.

— (((AG))) (@AG_Conservative) July 28, 2016
 
As a Bernie supporter I have spent the last couple of months resigning myself to the fact that, as expected, I would have to suck it up and vote for Hillary. I did watch many hours of the DNC coverage this week in the hopes that it would make me feel a bit more excited about the lever I would have to pull. A lot of late nights later I still can't say I am thrilled with the notion, despite some valiant efforts by some of the speakers.

I was sickened at times of the boos from the floor by some Sanders supporters. I can understand in this context letting your protest be known and making it omnipresent. Considering the context in which the Convention opened - the revelation of evidence that the DNC was partial to Hillary - I think it was rather restrained at the start. Debbie Wasserman-Schulz deserved every bit of revulsion that was piled on her.

Also, Hillary needs to be reminded that she takes the left for granted at her peril as she inevitably moves to the right, where she is comfortable. I too was deflated by the litany of militaristic speeches proclaiming how tough a CIC she will be. I too felt like shouting "No More War" to the speeches of the generals.

But the boos (especially night 1) were at inappropriate times and levels. These are smart, well-organized young people who have a valid point to make. Shouting "Black Lives Matter" over Cory Booker, that was just bad. Drowning out Elijiah Cummings speech with "Stop TPP!" - seriously what is the thinking behind this concept? Altering "Stronger Together" signs to read "Stop Her" - that is the kind of meme that can really hurt (to this day I think it was the "Sore Loserman" signs that led to Gore's loss of the 2000 election.)
I want you to know I agree with 95 percent of this. I was a Bernie supporter too. But it was never ever out of hate for Hillary. That was the one thing that bothered me about many of the young people involved with supporting Bernie. You couldn't help but being inspired by these young kids passion and energy. Sadly it seemed as though that their passion was fueled not only for Bernie and his proposals, but a misguided hate for Hillary that they ginned up.

Politics can easily make us cynical. It's hard to get excited about compromise. I desperately want to see these same kids learn that they made a difference. That THEY moved the needle. This is not a small thing. They should be proud. But the Bernie or busters lack the proper perspective. Tearing down the ten stories of a building you built because now you're being told it won't be the 20 story building you first envisioned is childish.

I don't want to see them waste their work and leave politics disillusioned because we need THEM in office in 4, 8 or 16 years.

Progress usually comes in small increments. Sometimes politicians like Hillary knowing this don't push hard enough. They need to be reminded that more can be done and that they will be supported in taking on that challenge.

But it's wrong to look at Hillary and not see that she is fighting for 95 percent of what Bernie supporters are.
 
Conservative ops veteran Matt Mackowiak

This Democratic convention has been an unmitigated disaster for the GOP. Very well produced. Unifying. Patriotic. Bravo.#DNCinPHL

— Matt Mackowiak (@MattMackowiak) July 29, 2016
 
Amanda Carpenter, former spokeswoman for Sen. Ted Cruz:

I am sure hearing a lot more about God and faith at the DNC than the RNC.

— Amanda Carpenter (@amandacarpenter) July 28, 2016
 
Only real sour note for me last night was the booing...before he had said a word..of General Allen by some of Berniacs...simply because he was a soldier. This is the kind of stupidity that is a good reminder that the right has no monopoly on idioicy.
 
Perhaps the last place you’d expect to find John Stubbs or Ricardo Reyes, two former George W. Bush administration officials and ardent Republicans who retired from politics years ago, is at the Democratic National Convention in 2016.

“If you’d told me five years ago this is where I’d be today…” said Reyes, breaking into a laugh. He glanced across the kitchen table at Stubbs, who shrugged ruefully.

“Look, if the Republicans had nominated anyone else, we’d be voting for them,” Stubbs said.

Trump, is dangerous, not only to the free-market values of traditional Republicanism, but also to the security and integrity of the United States.

And the only reasonable alternative, is Hillary Clinton."
 
Last edited:
Conservative Robert Kagan, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution and a co-founder of the Project for the New American Century.

His (Trump's) foreign policy is terrible, but my chief concern is more what he would do here. I fear what he would do to American democracy.” Kagan’s May 18 column about Trump in The Washington Post was titled, “This is how fascism comes to America.”
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom