Since it was a post of mine which set 16.5 off I guess I can help explain a bit.
Yes. There were thirteen British colonies who were the signers of the Declaration of Independence from Britain. This act led to the founding of the U.S.
The point I was interested in is that this is a somewhat Anglocentric view of the colonization of those territories which comprised that immediate geographic area. It does not reflect the fact that other nationalities founded colonies which were subsumed or taken by force of arms before the events which led up to the DoI. New Netherlands comes to mind. As does the French and Indian War.
This does not even take into account the large number of colonial settlers from other nationalities who did not actually establish a formal colony, but still had significant influences. Germans in Pennsylvania are a good example of this. As are the Palatine immigrants to New York. German settlers in the Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia prior to the Revolution were not insignificant either.
Even among the nominally "British" a noticeable percentage of them might have been less than impressed with that appellation. Scots, Irish, and perhaps especially Scotch Irish were rather over-represented among the most active of the revolutionaries.
By 1775 the actual English (and Welsh) amounted to slightly less than half of the settlers who comprised those thirteen original American colonies.
Of course, 20% of the remainder were African slaves, so I guess they don't really count.