Third Eye Open
Graduate Poster
- Joined
- Mar 13, 2008
- Messages
- 1,400
I've been in churches where someone just going
was considered speaking in tounges. Didn't have to sound like a language at all.
I am blue, daba dee daba da...
I've been in churches where someone just going
was considered speaking in tounges. Didn't have to sound like a language at all.
It's not that bad, honestly. There's things I've done in life that I regret far more.No offense, but the greatest embarassment would be if I ever lied to myself along the lines of what some of those guys seem to be doing. The other folks in church I may or may not see ever again, but I'll have to live with myself for the rest of my days.
Bingo.It's interesting that speaking in tongues as done in modern churches is the exact opposite of Pentecost where the Apostles spoke in their own tongue and it was understood by others in their own language.
Holy ****Ha! Just like John Smith in desciphering his magic plates with a stone in a hat, or whatever.
And Trent, speaking in "tongue" I believe is a language you know quite well!![]()
This didn't quote you correctly, but you're actually pointing out something interesting.I've been in churches where someone just going
was considered speaking in tounges. Didn't have to sound like a language at all.
You know, it almost puts me in a mind to go start shouting stuff in Klingon at a church, and see if they say it's ancient Aramaic![]()
Hans: "DebvetlhDaq ghaHtaH, qaStaHvIS loSmaH jaj, ghaH tlhu'moHtaHvIS veqlargh.
ghaH lutlhej Ha'DIbaH, 'ej ghaH lutoy' Qun'a' QumwI'."
Trekkie: "MINISTER BOB! GOD IS SPEAKING IN KLINGON!!, HE KNOWS ALL!!"
Minister: "WHAT IS HE SAYING?!!?"
Trekkie: "I think he said; 'All beautiful ladies, wishing to be saved must meet at Hans' house after service for a NEXT GENERATION marathon, Bring beer"
In context, it's not embarrassing. In fact it's more embarrassing to be in the church and not part of the glossolalic in-group.
Trekkie: "I think he said; 'All beautiful ladies, wishing to be saved must meet at Hans' house after service for a NEXT GENERATION marathon, Bring beer"
No way! Hans is MY husband and he's not meeting any (ahem) OTHER beautiful ladies!
Trekkie: "I think he said; 'All beautiful ladies, wishing to be saved must meet at Hans' house after service for a NEXT GENERATION marathon, Bring beer"
No way! Hans is MY husband and he's not meeting any (ahem) OTHER beautiful ladies!
Either you're talking about a different Hans, or I'm in bigger trouble than I thought. Now I'm paranoid![]()
What, it isn't Babel?It's supposed to be the language that the Angels speak, which can be understood by anyone who has been given the gift of interpretation. They take to heart Joel 2:28: "And it shall come to pass afterward, [that] I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions..." Speaking in tongues is the gift of prophecy - they believe that they are prophesying in the language of the Lord, so that all people may hear the word of the Lord (as in Acts 2).
In reality, it is gibberish.
But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another [divers] kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.