• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Speaking in Tongues

No offense, but the greatest embarassment would be if I ever lied to myself along the lines of what some of those guys seem to be doing. The other folks in church I may or may not see ever again, but I'll have to live with myself for the rest of my days.
It's not that bad, honestly. There's things I've done in life that I regret far more.
 
Let us pray...

*Kulingepu kunamullajumbo mukalakki ningeniu mupplebara mariapaleingum murrakoeri yokorakorida munmona murrakumora noroma lala kinmorko karawa mudanga yerii mindapul kutoru ukairi muduarbulu ngarukorda unkorpu ungara!

Arai chilongogo areyi muriwallauwill naroma namijeya apperakul miniamaka!

Numerialmak nulwoiyu niyaudadijeri murrapurnmini yarrawaiika kumerakan maraonbi wareiya montoquialla mangul kumerangbukara kudauu ungmerierigari!

Buruwongu umerumparengi ulloa nolerupungeini tjeroboilu muriiwapungen mudingeyia korominjil mitchinga alumberapa ungara obaiya monmuna murawillawill!

Mukalakki mitjunga numerialmak kumbainba miniamaka murrapurnminni naminjeya!

Mitjeralak mitiunga kopereik oogutjali belgramma tjurabego mikgeirne mirowargo minagi mukarula!

Amen

(*A list of names in Kakadu -- an Australian aboriginal language)
 
It's interesting that speaking in tongues as done in modern churches is the exact opposite of Pentecost where the Apostles spoke in their own tongue and it was understood by others in their own language.
Bingo.

Ha! Just like John Smith in desciphering his magic plates with a stone in a hat, or whatever.

And Trent, speaking in "tongue" I believe is a language you know quite well! :p
Holy **** :)

I've been in churches where someone just going



was considered speaking in tounges. Didn't have to sound like a language at all.
This didn't quote you correctly, but you're actually pointing out something interesting.

I've been many different places in the world and heard speaking in tongues ... and if I was in Costa Rica it sounded one way by most everyone, Chile another way by most everyone ... Germany another way, Texas another way, India another way, etc and so forth. And I don't think it was just because of their language or dialect differences. I got the distinct impression that each region were producing what they thought sounded "appropriately ancient" in regards to how they thought Hebrew/Aramaic etc should sound based off some episodes of 24 or something.

There is the "oohhh shaaadaaadaadaadaadaaa"

And then there is the "mur ekh akhlah maklah rrorhk ahkla" gutteral crap, etc and so forth.
 
Ooo eee, ooo ah ah ting tang
Walla walla, bing bang
Ooo eee, ooo ah ah ting tang
Walla walla, bing bang...
 
The problem with speaking in Klingon at church, is some Star Trek Dick is going to stand up to translate, and you'll get something like:

Hans: "DebvetlhDaq ghaHtaH, qaStaHvIS loSmaH jaj, ghaH tlhu'moHtaHvIS veqlargh.
ghaH lutlhej Ha'DIbaH, 'ej ghaH lutoy' Qun'a' QumwI'."
Trekkie: "MINISTER BOB! GOD IS SPEAKING IN KLINGON!!, HE KNOWS ALL!!"
Minister: "WHAT IS HE SAYING?!!?"
Trekkie: "I think he said; 'All beautiful ladies, wishing to be saved must meet at Hans' house after service for a NEXT GENERATION marathon, Bring beer"
 
In context, it's not embarrassing. In fact it's more embarrassing to be in the church and not part of the glossolalic in-group.

Personally I wonder how often someone with epilepsy has a seizure in some groups of holy rollers and they don't notice.
 
Trekkie: "I think he said; 'All beautiful ladies, wishing to be saved must meet at Hans' house after service for a NEXT GENERATION marathon, Bring beer"

No way! Hans is MY husband and he's not meeting any (ahem) OTHER beautiful ladies!
 
Trekkie: "I think he said; 'All beautiful ladies, wishing to be saved must meet at Hans' house after service for a NEXT GENERATION marathon, Bring beer"

No way! Hans is MY husband and he's not meeting any (ahem) OTHER beautiful ladies!

I should have said:
Hypothetically
 
Trekkie: "I think he said; 'All beautiful ladies, wishing to be saved must meet at Hans' house after service for a NEXT GENERATION marathon, Bring beer"

No way! Hans is MY husband and he's not meeting any (ahem) OTHER beautiful ladies!

Either you're talking about a different Hans, or I'm in bigger trouble than I thought. Now I'm paranoid :p
 
Last edited:
It's supposed to be the language that the Angels speak, which can be understood by anyone who has been given the gift of interpretation. They take to heart Joel 2:28: "And it shall come to pass afterward, [that] I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions..." Speaking in tongues is the gift of prophecy - they believe that they are prophesying in the language of the Lord, so that all people may hear the word of the Lord (as in Acts 2).

In reality, it is gibberish.
What, it isn't Babel? ;)










(the language of the Tower disaster ... )

DR
 
Aha. I've found it.

1 Corinthians 12:7-10
But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another [divers] kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

I remember one particular time in church, during "free worship". People were praying, holding their hands in the air, shouting "hallelujah" and so on, when some guy stood up and shouted out "allababbllababbballalallalalblbalallh!"

The pastor stepped up to the microphone and hesitantly asked "does someone have an interpretation?"

Whereupon there was a pause, and then someone else stood and said "Er, for God... so loved the world that, um, he gave his only begotten son, uh, so that whoever believed in him should have eternal life."

Hallelujah, the Holy Spirit was definitely upon the congregation. :rolleyes:
 
Definitely sounds like a case for trying it in Klingon. You know, to see if the holy spirit of Kahless is upon the congregation ;)
 
Given that these aren't folks with a lot of exposure to latin, I should lay some latin on them. Obscure medical terms, perhaps. Wouldn't dare pull that in the catholic church, where someone might just translate, but pentacostal maybe. It's either that or the ewok dance song.

A
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom