• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Speaking in Tongues

Huh... Seems this would take a particularly bold con artist and a particularly moronic/insane group of marks to be even remotely believable.

Is it a constructed language at all? Wouldn't the faithful make even a marginal effort at consistant translation? Is it limited to subject matter known in the past by Aramaic speakers or is it like Korean or Tagalog where you can here unmistakable loan words?
 
I can not imagine how frightened and confused a child of 7 would be, if their father or mother stood up next to them, and started into some confusing talk. "mom? why are you talking like that?, are you OK."

But, you know, that old Mom was so smart and so slick. She thought up a lie,
he thought it up quick!
"Oh yes, I'm infused with the holy spirit! he sent an angel to speak through me, it was wonderful"
 
Huh... Seems this would take a particularly bold con artist and a particularly moronic/insane group of marks to be even remotely believable.
I'm not sure that's an accurate description of Pentecostal Christians, but...

Is it a constructed language at all?
Nope, it's just babbling.

Wouldn't the faithful make even a marginal effort at consistant translation?
Not translation, interpretation.

1Cr 14:13: For this reason anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says.

Since speaking in tongues is prophecy, a direct translation is neither required nor desired. And it wouldn't work anyway because it's just babbling.

I recall one day in church, during worship, some old guy stood up and shouted out "Allablabakablalamannalamamaclambalapapalla!" There was a slight pause, and the pastor hesitantly asked the crowd "...does anyone have a translation?" Someone else got up and said "uh... for God loved the world that... uh, he sent his only son... his only begotten son..."

Is it limited to subject matter known in the past by Aramaic speakers or is it like Korean or Tagalog where you can here unmistakable loan words?
No, it's just babbling.
 
I can not imagine how frightened and confused a child of 7 would be, if their father or mother stood up next to them, and started into some confusing talk. "mom? why are you talking like that?, are you OK."

But, you know, that old Mom was so smart and so slick. She thought up a lie,
he thought it up quick!
"Oh yes, I'm infused with the holy spirit! he sent an angel to speak through me, it was wonderful"

I think some kids might posibly be traumitized in some way ... but probably most kids would think it's just another silly uniteresting thing adults do.
 
Saw it when I was a kid once or twice. Silly, silly, silly. Started giggling so much my mom sent me out. Dad took the belt to me when I got home. Jesus is love.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom