Corsair09
Unregistered
C
Ma'at said:
It was just a short peice hardly any more than a few paragraphs.
Hardly sounds like a "raging" controversy then, does it?
Ma'at said:
It was just a short peice hardly any more than a few paragraphs.
Ma'at said:Ma'at, A debate that is raging currently about whether modern medicines should be allowed to continue to be used with some serious side effects/any side effects that are worse or additional to the original symptom. The cure should not mean another illness that is less than the original symptom is preferable. A medicinal cure should mean just that a cure; the end does not justify the means.
Corsair09 said:
Hardly sounds like a "raging" controversy then, does it?
BillHoyt said:
Ma'at, where is this article, please? Full citation, please.
Any side effect is "additional to the original symptom." How can it not be? And how can you have a drug with no side effects when it has been repeatedly demonstrated that study subjects report side effects from placebos? Furthermore, given this, how can homeopathetic apologists claim no side effects from their concoctions?
Worse than the original symptom? That just doesn't happen in the general case. Evidence, please.
Cheers,
It was an article written in a local newspaper or a netnews item about some people debating about wether modern medicine should be sold with any side effects or not. As I do not save any such information, I can't post it up for you to read unfortunetly.
I dont remember reading about any actual medication or brands that were named in it. It was just a short peice hardly any more than a few paragraphs.
I actually said.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ma'at, A debate that is raging currently about whether modern medicines should be allowed to continue to be used with some serious side effects/any side effects that are worse or additional to the original symptom. The cure should not mean another illness that is less than the original symptom is preferable. A medicinal cure should mean just that a cure; the end does not justify the means
Ma'at said:Please re-read what I actually said above and not the few words you want to use, it answers your question fully.
Originally posted by Ma'at
Ma'at, A debate that is raging currently about whether modern medicines should be allowed to continue to be used with some serious side effects/any side effects that are worse or additional to the original symptom. The cure should not mean another illness that is less than the original symptom is preferable. A medicinal cure should mean just that a cure; the end does not justify the means.
Any side effect is "additional to the original symptom." How can it not be?
Ma'at said:
The "debate" was about the side effects of modern medicines and should there be any, if they are worse than the original ailment or create another ailment, that was the synopsis of the article written commenting on what they were debating over.
Flatworm said:
How can any thinking person spend time on this question? Imagine banning medication that prevents heart attacks because it causes dry mouth in 10% of patients! As to drugs that cause side effects worse than the condition they treat, I've never heard of a doctor insisting on the continued use of such a drug is such side effects develop. How many times do you see on the side of OTC drugs "if such-and-such occurs, discontinue use"?
It's a non-debate.
Ma'at said:
Billy you have misread me totally, I am not saying I did'nt write that posting at all I would prefer if you didnt say such things either.
I posted a particular piece that I had remembered reading about and as I have already writtenI do not save netnews items and do not have that article to put upyou also have taken that item out of context. [ /B]
So you don’t know what you were referring to when you said”Ma'at said:It was an article written in a local newspaper or a netnews item about some people debating about wether modern medicine should be sold with any side effects or not. As I have do not save any such information, I can't post it up for you to read unfortunetly.
I dont remember reading about any actual medication or brands that were named in it. It was just a short peice hardly any more than a few paragraphs.
Doctor X said:Gang:
RichardR makes an important statement concerning Radiating-Sunflower's failure to support some rather interesting statements. I, too, would like to see the support.
Without evidence anyone can write anything, and this all devolves into another fallacy-laden waste of time.
With all due respect to Radiating-Sunflower I must recommend expending more time when constructing replies. I do not demean anyone's command of English; however, the multiple errors make undestanding the message very diffficult, if not impossible.
--J.D.
RichardR said:So you don’t know what you were referring to when you said”
”A debate that is raging currently about whether modern medicines should be allowed to continue to be used with some serious side effects/any side effects that are worse or additional to the original symptom. The cure should not mean another illness that is less than the original symptom is preferable. A medicinal cure should mean just that a cure; the end does not justify the means.”
Can I now take it that you are withdrawing your above statement?
What i'm saying is if she doesn't have any backup for the statement, she should withdraw it.radiating-sunflower said:Why do you keep on going around in circles just winding up people when they say consistently dont have that information and wasnt interested to read it fully, Ma'at said that clearly enough many times and still you persist in asking for something she doesnt have?
Why should Ma'at it was a passing comment if its in the news and it remeinded her of somethig we were harping on about whats the problem and why withdraw it she made it clear what is was etc.RichardR said:What i'm saying is if she doesn't have any backup for the statement, she should withdraw it.
Why make a claim about something so important, when you really have no idea if it is true? That's what puzzles me.
radiating-sunflower said:billy I do not save netnews items and do not have that article to put up think thats what Ma'at pointing at you consistently.
BillHoyt said:
I read an article once that says Randi is a cabbage from duluth, on the planet rafflesdrof, who speaks venutian, and is therefore untrustworthy.
I do so why do you keep asking for information about the article still then?BillHoyt said:
I read an article once that says Randi is a cabbage from duluth, on the planet rafflesdrof, who speaks venutian, and is therefore untrustworthy.
I can't remember where I read that, so I can't give you the source, and I'm just posting here not to defend it, but to be able to impugn Randi and get away with it.
Get it?
Cheers,
I am not now asking for the article. I am pointing out to Ma'at that his paragraph makes little sense. I parsed the statement apart and showed that there were three claims, either made in the article or made by Ma'at, or both. They are:radiating-sunflower said:I do so why do you keep asking for information about the article still then?
I then responded to these three claims:Step 4: (Separate into the various claims):
a. "medicines [have] ... some serious side effects" OR
b. "medicines [have] ... any side effects that are worse ...[than] the original symptom" OR
c. "medicines [have]... any side effects that are ... additional to the original symptom"
And I still await answers.OK, there they are, all three of them.
4a. Yes , some have serious side effects.
4b. As I said, where is the evidence that this occurs in the general case?
4c. As I said, side effects are, by definiton, "additional." And, as I said, study subjects always claim side effects from placebos. Given this, how can you ever NOT have side effects?