• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Presidential Primaries 2016

On the republican side I'd like to see Huntsman try again. He seemed to be the only sensible candidate of the lot this time around, probably why he got no traction.
 
On the republican side I'd like to see Huntsman try again. He seemed to be the only sensible candidate of the lot this time around, probably why he got no traction.
Let's think outside the (party) box for a minute. Is there any upside to a Huntsman Democratic candidacy? Maybe not for Prez but, say, Senator?
 
Is there such a thing as getting too far out ahead of things? That's a question best put to R. Paul (le fils), as he is the first of the explicitly say that he's looking into it.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/84086.html

Considering that M. Rubio has already headlined a political event in Iowa, we may be seeing the makings of an opposite trend to the 2012 cycle's pattern of relatively late entries into the race. Will we have a exploratory committees up and running prior to the 2014 elections?
 
I'm hearing talk about a couple of ambitious GOP governors who are interested in this thing. Personally, I think they're both DOA, but at least one of them has already journeyed to kiss the ring of Kingmaker Adelson.

They are Jan Brewer of Arizona and John Kasich of Ohio.

By the way, I'm now pretty sure that W. "M." Romney will not be running for anything again that requires votes from moochers and takers. Can we get consensus on scratching his name from the list?

GOP
P. Ryan
C. Christie
M. Rubio
J. Bush
M. Bachmann
W. "M." Romney
S. Palin (fading fast, get her while she lasts)
M. Huckabee
T. Pawlenty
J. Thune
S. Walker
D. Trump, President of Never Gonna Run for President
R. Paul (le fils)
J. DeMint
N. Haley
S. Martinez
R. Santorum
M. Pence
C. Rice
R. "T." Cruz
P. "B." Jindal
J. Brewer
J. Kasich



Dem
H. Clinton
J. Biden
M. Warner
M. O’Malley
A. Klobuchar
C. Booker
A. Villaraigosa
B. Schweitzer
K. Gillibrand
A. Cuomo
R. Emmanuel
M. Cantwell
E. Warren
Ju. Castro

Indeterminate
M. Bloomberg, mayor of New York, NY
 
I'm hearing talk about a couple of ambitious GOP governors who are interested in this thing. Personally, I think they're both DOA, but at least one of them has already journeyed to kiss the ring of Kingmaker Adelson.

They are Jan Brewer of Arizona and John Kasich of Ohio.

By the way, I'm now pretty sure that W. "M." Romney will not be running for anything again that requires votes from moochers and takers. Can we get consensus on scratching his name from the list?

I'd be happy to see Romney struck.
I'm not sure if there's a GOP politician that I just plain dislike more than J. Brewer except M. "C. E."Bachmann and R. "t.F.M.o.L.a.F.M.t.i.S.t.B.-P.o.A.S." Santorum.
 
On the Democratic side, there's interesting developments with A. Cuomo.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/...nction-except-those-who-ve-sided-with-the-GOP

It seems that Cuomo really, really prefers a Republican-controlled state Senate. Not only did he endorse some Republican candidates this year, but after Dems surprisingly won a majority anyway, he has essentially helped to engineer a coalition of renegade Dems to caucus with Republicans and keep them in control.

Why is he doing this? Does he think he can be nominated for President with this episode under his belt?
 
Can anyone tell me if a major party (Dems or Reps) has ever nominated someone who didn't previously hold at least one of the following four jobs:

1. General
2. Governor
3. Senator
4. Representative

?
 
Why is he doing this? Does he think he can be nominated for President with this episode under his belt?

I think it's possible. I don't know enough about the workings of the NY state senate to say one way or another, but I do remember stories from a few years ago about how dysfunctional it was when Paterson was governor.

Cuomo got them to pass gay marriage, for which he got lots of donations and liberal cred in return (before Obama came out for gay marriage IIRC).

The New York State budget is better than it used to be and its credit rating looks to be improving.
 
Can anyone tell me if a major party (Dems or Reps) has ever nominated someone who didn't previously hold at least one of the following four jobs:

1. General
2. Governor
3. Senator
4. Representative

?

Not aware of any, but have any really, really big city mayors ever made it? I know R. "N, V, 9/11" Giuliani tried and people are bandying about C. Booker.
 
Not aware of any, but have any really, really big city mayors ever made it? I know R. "N, V, 9/11" Giuliani tried and people are bandying about C. Booker.

Yes, I thought about Giuliani but since he didn't get the nom, the streak remains unbroken unless there's some one I'm missing. I'm sure others have tried too but it usually goes to one of the first 3 on that list and the 4th if not one of the first 3.

That's why I'm skeptical of Booker.
 
Last edited:
Puppycow: I found 2 presidents that didn't have one of those offices.
W.H. Taft was Attorney General, a judge and the Provincial Governor of Cuba and the Philippines and Secretary of War prior to the Presidency.
H. Hoover was Secretary of Commerce.
Both were early 20th century Republicans.
 
Puppycow: I found 2 presidents that didn't have one of those offices.
W.H. Taft was Attorney General, a judge and the Provincial Governor of Cuba and the Philippines and Secretary of War prior to the Presidency.
H. Hoover was Secretary of Commerce.
Both were early 20th century Republicans.

Thanks!

So I guess we have to add one more category:
1. General
2. Governor
3. Senator
4. Representative
5. Cabinet Secretary
 
By the way, I'm now pretty sure that W. "M." Romney will not be running for anything again that requires votes from moochers and takers. Can we get consensus on scratching his name from the list?
The only thing Mittens is going to run for is the auto elevator. Give him the heave-ho.
 
Time to welcome a new star to the illustrious firmament. He is Dr. Ben Carson, pediatric neurosurgeon and a guy who claims to know that his God prefers a flat tax. He's now thinking of running for president, and he's already signaled that he's going to blame his decision, whichever way it goes, on that flat tax-loving God of prior note.

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/david/carson-says-2016-run-god-after-pushing-flat-

And as new blood seeps in, we should occasionally scrape off a dried up bit that's been clinging on from times (seemingly) distant past. And thus we'll scratch W. "M." Romney.

GOP
P. Ryan
C. Christie
M. Rubio
J. Bush
M. Bachmann
W. "M." Romney
S. Palin (fading fast, get her while she lasts)
M. Huckabee
T. Pawlenty
J. Thune
S. Walker
D. Trump, President of Never Gonna Run for President
R. Paul (le fils)
J. DeMint
N. Haley
S. Martinez
R. Santorum
M. Pence
C. Rice
R. "T." Cruz
P. "B." Jindal
J. Brewer
J. Kasich
B. Carson

Dem
H. Clinton
J. Biden
M. Warner
M. O’Malley
A. Klobuchar
C. Booker
A. Villaraigosa
B. Schweitzer
K. Gillibrand
A. Cuomo
R. Emmanuel
M. Cantwell
E. Warren
Ju. Castro

Indeterminate
M. Bloomberg, mayor of New York, NY
 
By the way, the freshman Senator from Texas, R. "T." Cruz, hereto-forth to be known as Tail-gunner Ted, has been making quite a splash in his first few weeks on the job. Does this presage a presidential run? I hope so. He's a lot like M. Bachmann, but with a law degree from Harvard instead of Oral Roberts U.
 
SIL used to work with ol' Ted at the Texas Attorney General's office. SIL says Ted is the most power-hungry person she's ever met in her life. He's dead set on getting the Presidency and he'll do and say whatever he has to say in order to get it. He's no more conservative then I am, but he's hitched his wagon to the Tea Party train and he's going to ride it until the wheels fall off...

It's going to be interesting to see how he "shakes things up in Washington".
 
Last edited:
I've heard Bob McDonnell's (Virginia Governor) name mentioned by some random conservative pundit as a "voice for moderation" in the GOP. A first term pro-life, right-to-work governor hardly strikes me as moderate but he seems well-liked by his own.

Also, what about Deval Patrick on the D side?
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom