• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Presidential Primaries 2016

Anyone, on either side, with 'none' as religious affiliation? That still a ways off?
 
I've heard Bob McDonnell's (Virginia Governor) name mentioned by some random conservative pundit as a "voice for moderation" in the GOP. A first term pro-life, right-to-work governor hardly strikes me as moderate but he seems well-liked by his own.

Also, what about Deval Patrick on the D side?


Worthy entrants, both. I'll put them in next time I update the scorecard.
 
Why is he doing this? Does he think he can be nominated for President with this episode under his belt?

The Democratic Party in New York is a corrupt cesspit. It's bad enough trying to get Sheldon Silver (Democratic House Speaker) to get anything done. It would be a mess if they had the Senate too and Cuomo knows it. Instead, he cobbled together a coallition of Senators who can act as gatekeepers.

He's consolidating power in the hands of a few people politically beholden to him and sidelining Sheldon Silver as much as he can. I call if shrewd New York politics. If he can spin this in his favor in a national election, all the better.
 
I wonder if Cuomo didn't stick his neck out on the guns issue a bit too far.

America is still basically a pro-gun country isn't it?
 
I think we can all agree that this Ted Cruz guy sees a president in the mirror. He's blazing a trail across the firmament the likes of which we haven't seen in I don't when how long. Will he take the lesson of Obama, and run while his brand is hot? Welcome to the rambunctious senator from Texas.

ETA: I just noticed that I had already added R. "T." Cruz to the list. Wow, proofreading, yeah?

Also joining this week are two gubernatorial mentionables from just upthread: Governor Bob McDonnell of Virginia on the GOP side and Governor Deval Patrick of Massachusetts on the Dem side.

GOP
P. Ryan
C. Christie
M. Rubio
J. Bush
M. Bachmann
W. "M." Romney
S. Palin (fading fast, get her while she lasts)
M. Huckabee
T. Pawlenty
J. Thune
S. Walker
D. Trump, President of Never Gonna Run for President
R. Paul (le fils)
J. DeMint
N. Haley
S. Martinez
R. Santorum
M. Pence
C. Rice
R. "T." Cruz
P. "B." Jindal
J. Brewer
J. Kasich
B. Carson
R. "B." McDonnell

Dem
H. Clinton
J. Biden
M. Warner
M. O’Malley
A. Klobuchar
C. Booker
A. Villaraigosa
B. Schweitzer
K. Gillibrand
A. Cuomo
R. Emmanuel
M. Cantwell
E. Warren
Ju. Castro
D. Patrick

Indeterminate
M. Bloomberg
 
Last edited:
Why is Condi Rice on the list? Isn't it abundantly clear that she doesn't want to run?

There are lots of people who want her to run, but Condi herself isn't one of them.
 
Why is Condi Rice on the list? Isn't it abundantly clear that she doesn't want to run?

There are lots of people who want her to run, but Condi herself isn't one of them.


The occasional participant lands here against their own will.
 
Would the birthers accept a Cruz candidacy? I hear he was born in Canada.

Not only born in Canada, but his father wasn't a US Citizen. Same situation as Obama, except that Obama was born in the US. So obviously Cruz is obviously qualified and Obama's been running a massive scam you socialist muslim.
 
Not only born in Canada, but his father wasn't a US Citizen. Same situation as Obama, except that Obama was born in the US. So obviously Cruz is obviously qualified and Obama's been running a massive scam you socialist muslim.

Canada's not part of the United States? Are you sure? I can drive there. Hawaii on the other hand...
 
Not only born in Canada, but his father wasn't a US Citizen. Same situation as Obama, except that Obama was born in the US. So obviously Cruz is obviously qualified and Obama's been running a massive scam you socialist muslim.

His father was a Cuban who fought for Castro before discovering that Castro was a communist.
 
From the 'Republican backs gay marriage' thread, Mrs H. Clinton has announced she supports it. Commentators are taking this as a sign of preparing a 2016 bid.

Really? I had all but assumed she was done with running for anything. Interesting.
 
I'm not sure DeMint should remain on the list. He's too fat and happy where he is to consider electoral politics again.
 
From the 'Republican backs gay marriage' thread, Mrs H. Clinton has announced she supports it. Commentators are taking this as a sign of preparing a 2016 bid.

Really? I had all but assumed she was done with running for anything. Interesting.

When History calls who can resist for long? What else is she going to do with her remaining years?

For a time I too thought that maybe she was done, but this is practically hers for the asking.
 
I want this guy.

[qimg]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/39/Boris_Johnson_-opening_bell_at_NASDAQ-14Sept2009-3c_cropped.jpg/220px-Boris_Johnson_-opening_bell_at_NASDAQ-14Sept2009-3c_cropped.jpg[/qimg]

Mayor of the United States of Dishevelment? Win/win for Londoners.
 
I want this guy.

[qimg]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/39/Boris_Johnson_-opening_bell_at_NASDAQ-14Sept2009-3c_cropped.jpg/220px-Boris_Johnson_-opening_bell_at_NASDAQ-14Sept2009-3c_cropped.jpg[/qimg]
Donald Trump and Andy Warhol had a baby.
 
Last edited:
I know it's early, but it may be time to start talking about who gets the first "dot" indicator that they're running. R. Paul is inching closer to explicitly signaling his intent to run in 2016. I would normally await an announcement of intent to set up an exploratory committee as the threshold for getting the dot. But the rules may be different this time around.

Opinions?

For reference: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/03/rand-paul-seriously-weighing-2016-bid-88611.html
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom