• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Kanye West apologises for past behaviour and talks about being bipolar

Orphia Nay

Penguilicious Spodmaster
Tagger
Joined
May 2, 2005
Messages
54,287
Location
Australia
Kanye West ("Ye") has taken out a full page ad to apologise for his behaviour.


Full text a few comments down.

Shorter Excerpts:

"The scariest thing about this disorder is how persuasive it is when it tells you: You don’t need help. It makes you blind, but convinced you have insight. You feel powerful, certain, unstoppable.
I lost touch with reality. Things got worse the longer I ignored the problem. I said and did things I deeply regret. Some of the people I love the most, I treated the worst. You endured fear, confusion, humiliation, and the exhaustion of trying to have someone who was, at times, unrecognizable. Looking back, I became detached from my true self.
In that fractured state, I gravitated toward the most destructive symbol I could find, the swastika, and even sold T-shirts bearing it. One of the difficult aspects of having bipolar type-1 are the disconnected moments - many of which I still cannot recall - that led to poor judgment and reckless behavior that oftentimes feels like an out-of-body-experience. I regret and am deeply mortified by my actions in that state, and am committed to accountability, treatment, and meaningful change. It does not excuse what I did though. I am not a Nazi or an antisemite. I love Jewish people."

He seems genuine, but as someone said, it's a bit on the nose that he does this a few days before releasing a new album.
 
i like kanye. he’s definitely mentally ill. who else would release a song like cousins
 
ok, he did a bunch of crazy stuff since the 2010s. you don't need to know about the leather daddy kkk outfit or that kim kardashian look alike he kept humiliating, but at least if nothing else listen to cousins and tell me it’s not funny that happened
 
It's a good start, and from what I know he's describing the lived experience of Bipolar I accurately, he's going to have to do a lot more to repair his reputation.
 
There's a genuine lack of understanding/support for mental health issues in our society, and I'm personally disgusted by how we casually write off people in need as being 'crazy'.

So now some rich privileged narcissist ◊◊◊◊◊◊◊ tries to write off his douchebag behavior as being some questionable 'mental illness' issue you're expected to give sympathy for. Yeah, that's going to help people who genuinely need help and support.

Again, even off meds I don't recall ever saying one positive thing about the NSDAP. I'll cry a single tear for every day this famous ◊◊◊◊ has actually had to suffer from his supposed 'condition'.

I don't anticipate needing a single tissue.
 
There's a genuine lack of understanding/support for mental health issues in our society, and I'm personally disgusted by how we casually write off people in need as being 'crazy'.

So now some rich privileged narcissist ◊◊◊◊◊◊◊ tries to write off his douchebag behavior as being some questionable 'mental illness' issue you're expected to give sympathy for. Yeah, that's going to help people who genuinely need help and support.

Again, even off meds I don't recall ever saying one positive thing about the NSDAP. I'll cry a single tear for every day this famous ◊◊◊◊ has actually had to suffer from his supposed 'condition'.

I don't anticipate needing a single tissue.

Agreed 100%. (Well, 99%. See under separator line.)

This does look very much like a douche latching on to the one plausible defense he's found, or that someone's suggested to him, with which to defend his otherwise completely undefensible behavior. And add to that his new album thing.

And agreed, this posturing takes away from the very real issues faced by those genuinely afflicted, for which there's nowhere near adequate awareness and understanding.

This is just yet another additional layer of douchebaggery, is all, this posturing thing.

----------

That said: Isn't this a textbook skepticism issue? Silly to take him at his word. And while one's instinct is to dismiss his claim, but isn't skepticism about examining that instinct, and examining that claim on its own merits? With such facts as we can seek out? (Like, in his case, basis which medical expert? On what grounds? What's the creds of said expert/s? Etc, etc, etc. To the extent we can access such facts.)

Not that I care personally. Wouldn't myself go out of my way to seek out such, nor give much of a toss about this person, either way. But should a discussion along "skeptical" lines follow, dissecting his case, and if that discussion turns out interesting ---- as discussions on here sometimes/oftentimes are ----- then I'd follow.
 
Last edited:
That said: Isn't this a textbook skepticism issue? Silly to take him at his word. And while one's instinct is to dismiss his claim, but isn't skepticism about examining that instinct, and examining that claim on its own merits? With such facts as we can seek out? (Like, in his case, basis which medical expert? On what grounds? What's the creds of said expert/s? Etc, etc, etc. To the extent we can access such facts.)
Well, like I said, his description is accurate as far as the lived experience of someone with Bipolar type I. It's a hell of a thing, with manic episodes sometimes involving psychosis and memory loss. My hope is that this is a sign that he is actually getting treatment.

But like I said, he's got a hell of a lot more to do to repair his reputation. A hell of a lot.
 
As the God-King of Maga fails in every aspect and hurt those who made him equally as the liberals they hated so much, nobody wants to go down with him.

Not anyone with wealth or a future they want to preserve.
Kanye has a lot of wealth to protect, and can't ride Maga any further. Time to re-invent himself and stay relevant to those who hopefully continue to keep him rich.

Self preservation is strong in many now.

That said, I had a friend for years that is bipolar. He is also very smart but in a criminal mastermind way. He really doesn't like working full time.
He has never taken meds for bipolar as I know.

He also used his diagnosis as his excuse when he got caught making bad decisions. Yet when his plan was working it was never a problem. In fact it was his genius coming through.
A slight double standard there.

When he seen me as a patsy to abuse to his benefit I too broke off with his friendship.

I don't see Kanye as very different from this dude with the exception of his wealth.
 
Last edited:
Well, like I said, his description is accurate as far as the lived experience of someone with Bipolar type I. It's a hell of a thing, with manic episodes sometimes involving psychosis and memory loss. My hope is that this is a sign that he is actually getting treatment.

But like I said, he's got a hell of a lot more to do to repair his reputation. A hell of a lot.


Right, so that is one filter he's cleared. ...But then, if he's basically pulling an act, if he's cynically utilizing that 'out' to exonerate himself in the public eye, whether in general or maybe given his album and all, then he'll know what to say, right? If he's himself too stupid and/or ignorant to, then he'll have been coached to say the right words, right?

So it boils down to, is the guy's bipolar real or not? Even if real, is it as "real", as in as much of a factor in his douchebaggery, as he's trying to show it is?

I don't know how we can get to the bottom of that without a great deal of digging, and maybe not at all (us here, I mean, given his medical records will not be available to us unless he himself opens them for scrutiny): but, on the other hand, if he's genuine, if he's actually suffering from acute bipolar and that's what's directly behind what he said and did: well then, that's the old brain tumor argument, right? Then he's not to "blame", at all! ...He might still have to do a lot to repair the damage done to his reputation, but that's more on the public than on him, really... even though in the end it amounts to the same thing for him. (All of that assuming he's the genuine item. Likely enough he's not.)
 
"I have this variation of bipolar disorder where I say and do evil ◊◊◊◊ for years on end until exactly the moment when it would financially benefit me to say and do otherwise. Please check out my recent hit 'Hiel Hitler' that I continue to financially benefit from"
 
This particular dude is not bipolar. He's single-polar unapologetic pure ◊◊◊◊◊◊◊. Note he doesn't have a second speed other than flaming douchebag, unless there is a check in it for him, where we are treated to a brief and scripted mea culpa.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom