The ...real story is that Labor exploits misogyny as a tactic for its own self-interest. The real story was Gillard’s hypocrisy. It was on brilliant display.
Gillard did the wrong thing in embracing Slipper last year and again in resisting his ditching. She might have made a hero of herself to some feminists by flailing Abbott, but she betrayed feminism in trying to protect Slipper (that she condemned his messages is not enough mitigation). The clarion call that so appealed to those praising her was another confusing message for many who find her hard to read.
Former Liberal leader John Hewson told Sky News: "Yes, the Prime Minister gave a great speech, but I gather the band played pretty well as the Titanic went down as well."
There was a fair bit of truth in that comparison.
The Slipper affair was a political disaster of the Government's own making.
The speech was initially reported with more restraint in Australia because it was placed in the context of Peter Slipper's grubby text messages and the government hypocrisy and bumble-footedness that preceded his forced resignation as speaker.[/I]
No wonder you're incapable of seeing Abbott's hypocrisy and misogyny,
Please provide evidence of his "hypocrisy and misogyny". Show me it and I might believe it. In the meantime, it is Gillard's that is on display and is being discussed by theseriouscommentators that agree with me.
Please provide evidence of his "hypocrisy and misogyny".
I would also appreciate an answer to whether you (and everyone else) thinks Gillard should have booted him out.
The Prime Minister did a far better job of it than I could in the video posted in the OP.
That would be a "no", I take it?
Can you support your claims?
The Prime Minister did a far better job of it than I could in the video posted in the OP.
That would be a "no", I take it?
Can you support your claims?
I repeat:
Yes, you do. You really do. To the benefit of nobody. It was a good speech.
Abbott attacked and got slammed back into his corner.
I posted somewhere once that Abbott wouldn't stand a chance in a cage fight with Gillard. That's about as close as we'll get, and I wasn't wrong.
Facts:
Gillard defended due process.
Abbot is a bigot.
You already have a dedicated "Gillard is a liar" thread.
No need to drag the whole thing over here.
^^ This. Though I would add that Gillard not only defended due process (something the vocal minority seem to have missed), but she also tore shreds off Abbott's attempts at turning parliament into a complete ****-fight. But you said that anyway so...
Good post.
Agreed. The speech will not stand with some of Keating's or Hawke's but it was one of the best heard in parliament in the last decade.
Also, calling out the douchebag on his hypocrisy and misogyny was completely warranted. You don't get to bitch at people for being sexist when you are a sexist bigot yourself.
Nope. Pointing out person A's hypocrisy isn't a defense person B's flaws. Try again.So your interpretation is just like hers then; (something like) "Yes he is a misogynist, but he is too, so it's even"?
LOL, what? Really? Well then, see lionking's post.Please provide evidence of his "hypocrisy and misogyny".
Ah, yeah, of course.But Abbott isn't a sexist bigot, he's got a wife and three daughters that he seems to conveniently trot out to say that he's not whenever people call him a sexist bigot.
Nope. Pointing out person A's hypocrisy isn't a defense person B's flaws. Try again.
I've already answered that. Your mistranslation of my response is your problem, not mine.
Pointing out person A's hypocrisy isn't a defense person B's flaws.
Really? Well then, see lionking's post.
Which is exactly what I am saying.
What Gillard did was to point at Abbott (and lie a lot) in defense of Slipper.
Cheers..