AlBell
Philosopher
- Joined
- Mar 28, 2009
- Messages
- 6,360
Since no year has been picked, sure, why not?
Since no year has been picked, sure, why not?
The rules for large businesses were delayed for one year, which means that no company will face any penalty whatsoever for not providing insurance until 2015. So anyone saying that they are cutting back hours in 2013, in advance of rule changes that don't start for 15 months, even though they need those workers, is just full of crap. Isn't that obvious on its face?
I never understood the logic behind the argument that because some companies are mistreating their workers, it is somehow - magically - the government's fault.
Have those making such an argument ever considered that perhaps the people running those companies are jerkwads, and people should be supporting more socially responsible companies?
I never understood the logic behind the argument that because some companies are mistreating their workers, it is somehow - magically - the government's fault. Have those making such an argument ever considered that perhaps the people running those companies are jerkwads, and people should be supporting more socially responsible companies?
There's no magic involved. Companies respond to incentives, and if the government places certain types of incentives companies will tend to behave in certain ways.
This is completely unrealistic.
There's no magic involved. Companies respond to incentives, and if the government places certain types of incentives companies will tend to behave in certain ways.
This is completely unrealistic.
BTW: Thanks for driving jobs out of the local economy.
Did I mention I voted for taxing onlines at local/state rates? I bet you love that.![]()
ETA: Fixed your post due to personal preference. It really irks me when people approach every error as a "lie". People make mistakes, people are misinformed, or misunderstand, people have erroneous beliefs. All of these can lead to false statements that are NOT lies. Lies are purposeful misinformation.
Are the subsidies a direct reduction in how much you pay per month or a credit against the tax you pay at the end of the year? My Google foo is weak today and I can't seem to find the answer. If it's the latter, this plan is screwed.![]()
This is completely unrealistic.
I know that you can take it as a direct reduction in your premiums - the "Advance Premium Credit". I *think* you can choose to belay it until your following year's taxes and take it as a deduction or whatever then... but I'm not entirely sure. I don't know anyone who would do so.
You do have the option of taking the subsidy by the month or as a tax credit at the end of the year. The later might be preferable in cases where insurance cost is high and you are not certain if family income will be above or below 400% of the federal poverty level. Taking a monthly credit could leave you owing several thousand to the federal government if your income goes over the limit.
Do you really believe that people make rational decisions?
Why? There are several companies that I avoid specifically because I disapprove of their business practices, including how they treat their employees.
Across the board? Of course not.
But as far as groups of people responding to economic incentives, almost always.
Maybe if the incentives are clear, but even then people make decisions that are actually worse for them for non-economic reasons.Individual people, sure. But as a group, and with most economic incentives, people tend to act rationally. If the cost of bananas or peanuts goes up, people and businesses will tend to buy fewer bananas or peanuts.
Libertarianism doesn't work for a reason.
If by Libertarianism, you mean free market policies, I'd disagree that they don't work.
There's a concept I learned in the business world: chasing pennies with dollars. The market doesn't magically make people rational actors when we know they aren't.
I'm familiar with the concept, but do not see how it applies here.
Individual people, sure. But as a group, and with most economic incentives, people tend to act rationally. If the cost of bananas or peanuts goes up, people and businesses will tend to buy fewer bananas or peanuts.
If by Libertarianism, you mean free market policies, I'd disagree that they don't work.
I'm familiar with the concept, but do not see how it applies here.