I think there's a good case for vitamin D supplementation (and not just in the elderly), particularly in northern latitudes (e.g. Scandinavia) or in certain populations (see, for example, comments here: http://www.bradforddistrictsccg.nhs.uk/news/vitamin-d-is-topic-to-talk-about-this-month/ and here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/5116438.stm).There is evidence that certain deficiencies are common among the elderly. Vitamin d, vitamin b-12, iron, magnesium, zinc, and some others have been identified in studies. It appears that the elderly may not absorb some of these nutrients adequately, so supplementation as a precaution might not be unreasonable in this case.
I think there's a good case for vitamin D supplementation (and not just in the elderly), particularly in northern latitudes (e.g. Scandinavia) or in certain populations
[*]While I do usually have 5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day, some of my veggies come out of bag or even a can and don't have as much vitamins as they would if they were fresh.
[*]It's pretty well established that most meats, diary, eggs, processed foods and oils available to consumers have a higher omega 6 to omega 3 ratio then we should get for optimum health.
[*]Tumeric is a good anti-inflammatory agent -- I just mix into a cup of bland no sodium vegetable juice once a day along with 1 of my daily tablespoons of ground flax and some black pepper. (The curcumin in tumeric needs the fat in the flaxseed and the piperine in the black pepper to be bioavailable.)
Well, I very much doubt that it's true that "no-one gets enough". I've never read a single paper that suggested that was the case. Nor have I seen any statements from medical bodies to that effect. Perhaps a slight exaggeration on her part?My primary physician will not test for vitamin D sufficiency. She says its a waste of money and that no one gets enough. She routinely recommends that everyone take 1,000 IU a day.
I'm looking to replace her for other reasons -- but in a world with limited medical resources she may have a point about vitamin D.
Anyone have any comments on that approach?
Having suffered from a vitamin D deficiency before, trust me, you will know something's wrong. Severe fatigue is one of the main symptoms---fatigue of the "it's just too tiring to eat, I think I'll go hungry" variety.
Actually that's not necessarily true. Sometimes canned and frozen veggies have better nutrition than fresh.
Yes, and so I recommend you take active action to decrease omega-6 as well, otherwise the omega-3 supplementation may be a waste of money
Try some of these instead![]()
Having suffered from a vitamin D deficiency before, trust me, you will know something's wrong. Severe fatigue is one of the main symptoms---fatigue of the "it's just too tiring to eat, I think I'll go hungry" variety.
So far all I have figured out how to do is to avoid prepared baked goods (except for bread) and store bought hummus since in the States they are almost almost always prepared with soybean oil. I look for breads that are made without soybean oil. I would avoid the other baked goods (cookies, cakes, etc) anyway since I'm trying to lose weight, or at least not gain any.Any other suggestions?
Do you eat meat? Cut back or (if you can afford it) switch to grass-fed. If you eat canned fish, always buy it in brine, not oil. It's not just soybean oil that's a problem, corn oil is everywhere too, so watch it. Canola isn't much better.

<snip>
FWIW I take:
<snip>- 2 tablespoons of ground flax and 1 tablespoon of turmeric.
<snip>
I take
Omega 3
Vitamin C
Vitamin D-3
Vitamin E
Selenium
Lycopene
Beta Carotene
Resveratrol
Potassium Gluconate
Amino Acids
Apple Cider Vinegar
I don't take B-12 because B-12 shots were a feel good craze in the 80s
Nor do I get a flu shot.
I take
Omega 3
Vitamin C
Vitamin D-3
Vitamin E
Selenium
Lycopene
Beta Carotene
Resveratrol
Potassium Gluconate
Amino Acids
Apple Cider Vinegar
I don't take B-12 because B-12 shots were a feel good craze in the 80s.
Nor do I get a flu shot.
Very much agree. I wonder why Dr Dave does not eat them.supplements are called supplements, not replacements.
you really should try some of those fresh fruit & veg. Or even frozen ones.
I take
Omega 3
Vitamin C
Vitamin D-3
Vitamin E
Selenium
Lycopene
Beta Carotene
Resveratrol
Potassium Gluconate
Amino Acids
Apple Cider Vinegar
I don't take B-12 because B-12 shots were a feel good craze in the 80s.
Nor do I get a flu shot.
Not my area of expertise but I recall reading articles stating that while beta carotene in foods are very helpful, beta carotene infoodspills or other supplements may put people at higher risk for heart disease and cancer.
Also, vitamins that are oil soluble vs water soluble, such as vitamin E for example, are easier to overdose on as they stay in the body longer.