• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Nuke the damn oil leak!!

leftysergeant, this is a few days old and a bit off topic, but I just wanted to say thatis the best typo since a particularly annoying individual of my acquaintance urged me to check out the new Livejournal he was "ruinning".

I get sort of deslyxic when I am upset with the kind of people who think they are supposed to be running the world and using spell check is so geeky...
 
... But there it is and we have to do the best things we can to keep it from doing the least damage as possible...

Wow, great! Is this how conspiracy theories start?



Are you in the Oilluminati?




:D
 
A BBC article has a good graphic that gives an idea of the comparative scale of this spill to other large historic spills. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/us_and_canada/10194335.stm (Scroll to the bottom.)

Thanks. That provides some perspective.

I had forgotten all about Saddam's intentional oil spill in 1991. Now that was an ecodisaster for sure, and the Persian Gulf recovered. and the world did not end.
 
Looks like they've got the cap over the well stem and will begin pumping the hydrocarbons to the surface. It's not over yet, but this is a big step.
 
No no no. The WORST case scenario is that the leak somehow undoes the fabric of space and destroys the mulitverse.

Hold me, I'm scared.:boxedin:

At this point would you really be suprised if BP's attemt to plug the thing triggered a false vacuum collapse?
 
Please don't embarrass yourself more by trying to talk about geology. You don't have a clue about the tectonics or the fault patterns in the Gulf of Mexico.

Were you aware of the fissures that radiate from the Chicxulub meteor impact site? Those fissures are why cenotes form in so many places around the Gulf and in Yucatan.

I doubt that anybody really knows where they all run. Not a good idea to be setting off large munitions there.
 
Last edited:
Were you aware of the fissures that radiate from the Chicxulub meteor impact site? Those fissures are why cenotes form in so many places around the Gulf and in Yucatan.

I doubt that anybody really knows where they all run. Not a good idea to be setting off large munitions there.
Cenotes (sinkholes) form in the Yucatan area because it is a carbonate platform. The same is true of Florida. They are formed from groundwater dissolution of the limestone underneath the surface. Yes, the Chicxulub crater enabled more groundwater movement and hence more cenotes. What the hell that has got to do with the oil spill, I don't know.

You really had better stop before you get further behind.

Oh, and as for doomsday scenarios, maybe you should read this.
Lessons learned from the largest oil spill in history.
According to researchers, in the years following the spill the Gulf's ecosystem began to make a remarkable comeback.

A 2008 joint German-Saudi research paper on the effects of oil pollution in the Persian Gulf stated that by 1994, fish and bird populations had returned to pre-spill levels. Whale, dolphin and turtle populations were largely unaffected, according to the same study.

The fishing industry was decimated after the oil spill and Iraqi mines made the Gulf a no-go area for Kuwaiti and Saudi fishermen. But, it too, had started to show signs of improvement by 1994, the same study shows, and is widely considered to have made a full recovery from the after effects of the spill today.

"What they found, and they've found in other places in the world, is that nature does recover," said Pilcher.

Although a colossal amount of oil was released into the Gulf, Pilcher said up to half may have simply disappeared from the water by a combination of evaporation and degradation by bacteria in the sea.
 
Were you aware of the fissures that radiate from the Chicxulub meteor impact site? Those fissures are why cenotes form in so many places around the Gulf and in Yucatan.

I doubt that anybody really knows where they all run. Not a good idea to be setting off large munitions there.

I ask again again again:

Please provide evidence that the rig well in question has enough oil to kill everything in the ocean.
 
You might as well stop asking K-M00. There is no such evidence and any supporting statements LeftySergeant could find would most likely be from radical websites. The link I provided about the Kuwait oil spill and the fact that the Ixtapa oil spill is now a distant memory, demonstrate that the planet has the power to heal itsself a lot more than the Chicken Littles seem to think. Harping on his incredibly uninformed statement will not yeild any results and, in fact, may be considered "flooding" the forum (but that statement is "not-as-mod".)

I think by now everyone sees that Lefty is a warrior with a lot of passion and a true desire to save the planet and punish corporate evildoers, but not one with a lot of ammunition in his belt. I can sympatize with him. I am an environmentalist myself and and avid birdwatcher. I'll probably be making a trip to Louisiana to help with the cleanup. This is a horrible tragedy, and I cannot find it in my heart to excoriate people for overreacting so badly.
 
Sincere question: Wasn't the rig more TransOcean's responsibility than BP?
 
I love what America was can supposed to be become, and maybe by becoming an American I can, in some small way, help shape it more towards those lofty, and possibly unreachable goals. Does that answer satisfy?

Very much so. Welcome, my fellow American.

The truth is that you came to America to improve your own life. So what? That's what America is for. The genius of America is to realize that when people do that, they, on the whole, make the country better much more than the usual country-improvers and utopia-chasers.

I'm getting tears here.

Well, there ain't no doubt we love this land... God Bless the U-S-A....
 
Last edited:
Sincere question: Wasn't the rig more TransOcean's responsibility than BP?

BP was pushing Transocean to bring it in on schedule, so they bought the liability. Transocean is responsible for going along with the stupidity.

BP and Transocean all conspired to create a dfangerous situation. All the inspectors at MMS and all the people who played a part in writing the permits and waivers are responsible. Throw the lot in jail. You can bet that a lot of little fish will be rolling over on bigger fish to plea bargain.

There is blame to go around.
 
I seems to me that BP treated TransOcean like employees rather than independent contractors so BP is responsible for the actions of TransOcean.
Ah.

BP was pushing Transocean to bring it in on schedule, so they bought the liability. Transocean is responsible for going along with the stupidity.
Can't disagree with this.

BP and Transocean all conspired to create a dfangerous situation.
If you're suggesting they hoped for danger to occur, I'm not convinced, sorry.
All the inspectors at MMS and all the people who played a part in writing the permits and waivers are responsible.
MMS? Who is that?
Throw the lot in jail.
And you lost me there. Not gonna go into this.

There is blame to go around.
That's also quite true.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom