• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The Christian side-hug.

Possibly the most inept attempt at persuasion I've seen in a while.

The target audience will not respond to

1. Foreign accent
2. The attitude.

It doesn't matter that the argument itself is a pretty sound one.

Epic fail in getting a needed message across.

That young lady obviously does not know the first thing about marketing, but she could give a preacher a run for the money in the

Preaching to the Converted

skill.

Too bad. With smarter packaging, this message might grow legs. Were she in my class on public speaking, I'd fail her for that assignment. You absolutely must deterimine your audience first, and then package your message to that audience.

DR
 
Last edited:
With smarter packaging, this message might grow legs. Were she in my class on public speaking, I'd fail her for that assignment. You absolutely must deterimine your audience first, and then package your message to that audience.

You are out of your mind.

Either that, or you don't understand her target audience.

It's a perfect YouTube vid, right down to the jump-cut editing. I mean, the cutaway to the kitty-kitty shot... brilliant.

This girl knows what she's doing.

5 star rating, over 4,000 views in one day, and you would fail her? Seriously, I think you need to re-evaluate.
 
Last edited:
This video has 1,624 comments. There are also about a dozen links to it on the www.

Check out her other videos. One she had over a MILLION views. Several are over the 100,000 views. Another video of hers has over 80 links to it. She is almost the James Randi of the Youtube world. So yes she is doing something right.
 
You are out of your mind.

Either that, or you don't understand her target audience.

It's a perfect YouTube vid, right down to the jump-cut editing. I mean, the cutaway to the kitty-kitty shot... brilliant.

This girl knows what she's doing.

5 star rating, over 4,000 views in one day, and you would fail her? Seriously, I think you need to re-evaluate.

Well, I'd fail her too.

Then again, part of my Day 1 spiel is that you can come in and give a MLK Jr. level speech and I'll fail you because you're not following the format.
 
You are out of your mind.

Either that, or you don't understand her target audience.

It's a perfect YouTube vid, right down to the jump-cut editing. I mean, the cutaway to the kitty-kitty shot... brilliant.

This girl knows what she's doing.

5 star rating, over 4,000 views in one day, and you would fail her? Seriously, I think you need to re-evaluate.
You seem to have missed my point:

If the purpose is to persuade a target audience who might benefit from the facts she presents, and thus be persuaded to follow her advice, and not merely preach to the already converted, it fails. Her stated goal, bottom line up front, is to convince someone that abstinence only education is a failure (Which it is, in my state at least) and thus to agree that a change in policy is beneficial.

If the purpose is to preach to the converted, it works, but only succeeds as a form of mental masturbation, not as effective persuasive speaking. 5 star rating, over 4,000 Right, argumentum ad populum. :rolleyes: That'll convince me.

@ Third Eye: no, you missed the point I was making in speaking to persuade, versus preaching to the converted.

To spell it out for some of the less rapid on the uptake: I agree, and agreed ages before this young lady's video crossed my screen, that the abstinence only sex education doesn't meet stated objectives, and risks doing as much, or more, harm than good. Just in case some of y'all really missed my point.

DR
 
Last edited:
So people with foreign accents shouldn't attend your classes? :boggled:
If they are as stupid as that post, no, they shoud not, but the accent would have nothing to do with it. It's a matter of having a functioning brain. :p

To clue you in: the target audience is people who apply abstinence only education as the best fit sex education, which makes them Americans of a particular philosophical sort. The message in her video is "there is a problem, you have an idea on how to deal with it, it's not a good idea, change it, here's why."

The content passes my good enough test, the packaging is, for the target audience, an utter failure.

DR
 
Last edited:
Haven't seen the vid but it amounts to suppressing sexuality, right?
 
Rather than suppressing and demonizing natural sexual urges in a 'one size fits all' manner, Christians should become familiar with the concept of sacred sex. Then maybe there wouldn't be so many perverted priests molesting little kids. What you suppress becomes a demon, metaphorically.

http://sacred-sex.org/
 
Last edited:
@ Third Eye: no, you missed the point I was making in speaking to persuade, versus preaching to the converted.

I don't think you or anyone else really seriously thinks that this video is directed at people in favor of abstinence. It is obviously a comedy piece, made for entertainment at the expense of people that the TARGET AUDIENCE disagrees with.

You are just searching for something to whine about in a video that people like.
 
You seem to have missed my point:

If the purpose is to persuade a target audience who might benefit from the facts she presents, and thus be persuaded to follow her advice, and not merely preach to the already converted, it fails. Her stated goal, bottom line up front, is to convince someone that abstinence only education is a failure (Which it is, in my state at least) and thus to agree that a change in policy is beneficial.

If the purpose is to preach to the converted, it works, but only succeeds as a form of mental masturbation, not as effective persuasive speaking. 5 star rating, over 4,000 Right, argumentum ad populum. :rolleyes: That'll convince me.

@ Third Eye: no, you missed the point I was making in speaking to persuade, versus preaching to the converted.

To spell it out for some of the less rapid on the uptake: I agree, and agreed ages before this young lady's video crossed my screen, that the abstinence only sex education doesn't meet stated objectives, and risks doing as much, or more, harm than good. Just in case some of y'all really missed my point.

DR

No, I understood what you're saying, but with all due respect, I believe you clearly misunderstand who her actual target audience is and what her purpose is.

She is extremely good at what she's trying to do.

And not just because she's pretty, which obviously she is.

There are thousands of pretty girls out there. This one thoroughly understands her medium and her audience and has her script, set, and editing down pat.

She'd get an A+ in my class.
 
To clue you in: the target audience is people who apply abstinence only education as the best fit sex education, which makes them Americans of a particular philosophical sort.

No, that's not her target audience. She understands who her audience is much better than you do. Hate to have to point that out, but that's the way it is.
 
I don't think you or anyone else really seriously thinks that this video is directed at people in favor of abstinence. It is obviously a comedy piece, made for entertainment at the expense of people that the TARGET AUDIENCE disagrees with.

Bingo.
 
No, I understood what you're saying, but with all due respect, I believe you clearly misunderstand who her actual target audience is and what her purpose is.

She is extremely good at what she's trying to do.

And not just because she's pretty, which obviously she is.

There are thousands of pretty girls out there. This one thoroughly understands her medium and her audience and has her script, set, and editing down pat.

She'd get an A+ in my class.
From this, I see that you grade her A in preaching to the choir. We agree on that. Preaching to the choir does exactly how much good in persuading anyone to change? ;)

Either that, or you don't understand her target audience.
Did you pay attention to whom she was addressing her remarks to set the stage for the rest of the video?

Let's do a small thought expermient: suppose I am an atheist and I post on RD forum suggeting people not take the Bible seriously. How much good does this case of preaching to the choir do? Not much, other than to self reinforce an already agreed position.

That isn't persuasive speaking.

DR
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom