• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

'Offensive' Tui billboard takes a hasty flight

Old Aunt Teepodees

He's just jealous. It's winter in Detroit, and in NZ they are drinking ice-cold beer in the warm sun. :D

No, they're sitting in the shade of the flowering pohutukawa, drinking their beer no more than slightly cool.

Well, yes, I suppose I am jealous. Trust Zep to rub it in.
 
Knowing what I do about Maori place names, I'm a little hesitant to ask what "ika" means -- or what it suggests, insert dirty-minded snicker.
 
Knowing what I do about Maori place names, I'm a little hesitant to ask what "ika" means -- or what it suggests, insert dirty-minded snicker.
Fish

Or

Great Big Enormous Fish

Tangaroa, god of the sea
www.teara.govt.nz
Te Ika-a-Maui – Maui’s fish

Fishing features in many Maori traditions. Perhaps the most well-known story is that of the demigod Maui, who hooked the North Island of New Zealand with the jawbone of his grandmother, Murirangawhenua. As he fished, he chanted:

Give to me O ocean,
Weroti’s fish, Werota’s fish
Be it Nuku’s rock or not,
I shall lift you to the sky.1​

Known as Te Ika-a-Maui (Maui’s great fish), the North Island is shaped like a stingray. North Cape is known as Te Hiku o Te Ika (the tail of the fish) and Wellington as Te Upoko o Te Ika (the head of the fish).
 
No, they're sitting in the shade of the flowering pohutukawa, drinking their beer no more than slightly cool.

Can't say that's the way where I come from. Cold is good, cool is barely acceptable and tepid's down the drain. Maybe not cold enough to form ice on the outside of the glass - like a martini - but cold enough to raise the nipples.
 
And the days ain't consistently warm... yet...

365767098_6c08d58e5b.jpg

flickr.com/photos/munksynz/365767098​

Cheers

:p :clap: :big:

Love it!

Cheers, mate!
 
No, they're sitting in the shade of the flowering pohutukawa, drinking their beer no more than slightly cool.

Well, yes, I suppose I am jealous. Trust Zep to rub it in.
:)

Although you know what they say about New Zealand: If it's not raining, it's just about to.
 
Last edited:
Drink Speights and lose your mates! :p
Isn't Speights that stuff they sell in those huge barns that seem to infest most of the larger towns? They looked decidedly low-market... Sort of like a place you can easily hose down on the inside after closing time when the "patrons" have finished fighting and been taken away to sleep it off in the police cells. Class! :rolleyes:

Nope. The market for beer here has never been big and its getting smaller, due in part to fashion, a growing wine industry and an increased awareness that healthy living does not include drinking 5 litres of gnats piss in a cavernous barn with a supermarket-sized car park outside.
Yeah, that sort of place.

Although the number of superb 'boutique breweries' is steadily growing, one of the prerequisites for superbiosity seems to be non-great-big-enormormousness... although the Goliaths seem to disagree as they - like Google and Microsoft et al - are in the habit of buying out the rising stars.
...and turning them back into gnat's piss production. Pity. There's some really good little boutique beers, even in cheery Auckland!
 
:)

Although you know what they say about New Zealand: If it's not raining, it's just about to.
Aotearoa, which translates as The Land of the Long White Cloud*

But it ain't always moist...

Where I live, our annual sunshine hours are usually around the 2,600 hour mark, putting us way ahead of TA-ville and Melbourne, on a par with Florence and 'behind' San Diego

___________________
*Perhaps due to a recent influx of immigrants from Asia, the pronunciation has shifted a tad, to what sounds like The Land of the Wrong White Crowd ;)
 
Last edited:
You mean Bondi?

:scarper:
Nah, mate!

Although I did live in Paddington and Darlinghurst for a while... I didn't know what rain was until then... and I almost forgot what beer is supposed to taste like
 
Nah, mate!

Although I did live in Paddington and Darlinghurst for a while... I didn't know what rain was until then... and I almost forgot what beer is supposed to taste like.
But you DID find out all about latte-sipping, eh! :)
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom