Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
- Joined
- May 26, 2006
- Messages
- 22,330
A poster over at DU wonders why of all the conspiracy theories JREF seldom tackles the Bavarian Illuminati:
First they came for the Illuminati, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't an Illuminati....
She (it's 9-11 Truther Diane from the Activist NYC blog) acknowledges that we mostly just laugh off talk of the Illuminati. She claims that anti-illuminism permeates the antiwar movement (who knew?):
Diane should stop going to antiwar rallies with Luke Rudkowski and Matt Lepacek; I cannot imagine that there is a significant element of the non-Truther antiwar movement that is concerned with the Illuminati.
She notes that we mostly toss off mention of the Illuminati as not having existed for centuries and not that important when they did exist, but seems to feel we don't do enough to combat anti-Illuminism. I guess her theory is that when some fundie preacher rails against the Illuminati, he really means "Atheists". That's funny, I've never noticed fundie preachers having any problems referring to godless Atheists.
I don't know what more she expects us to do. It's hard to prove a negative--that the Illuminati don't exist. JREF forum member Boloboffin holds up the side of sanity in that thread. Later on Diane claims that the right wing is going to take over the antiwar movement, which would be quite a feat.
It seems to me that atheists should consider anti-Illluminism to be very, very scary. Why aren't more of them scared? Why isn't there more concern about anti-Illuminism in the JREF forum? (Here's the list of "Illuminati" threads on JREF - they don't seem to be very frequent, and hardly any serious debunking goes into them.) Why aren't there a whole bunch of websites out there targeting and refuting anti-Illuminist claims in detail? In my opinion, there should be.
First they came for the Illuminati, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't an Illuminati....
She (it's 9-11 Truther Diane from the Activist NYC blog) acknowledges that we mostly just laugh off talk of the Illuminati. She claims that anti-illuminism permeates the antiwar movement (who knew?):
And, at almost any anti-war rally, you will likely run into people talking about "the Illuminati." For the most part, the leaders don't talk about "the Illuminati" (probably because most anti-war rallies, at least here in New York, are organized by Communists). However, a great many rank-and-file rally attendees do believe in "the Illuminati."
Diane should stop going to antiwar rallies with Luke Rudkowski and Matt Lepacek; I cannot imagine that there is a significant element of the non-Truther antiwar movement that is concerned with the Illuminati.
She notes that we mostly toss off mention of the Illuminati as not having existed for centuries and not that important when they did exist, but seems to feel we don't do enough to combat anti-Illuminism. I guess her theory is that when some fundie preacher rails against the Illuminati, he really means "Atheists". That's funny, I've never noticed fundie preachers having any problems referring to godless Atheists.
I don't know what more she expects us to do. It's hard to prove a negative--that the Illuminati don't exist. JREF forum member Boloboffin holds up the side of sanity in that thread. Later on Diane claims that the right wing is going to take over the antiwar movement, which would be quite a feat.