johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
- Joined
- Jan 12, 2007
- Messages
- 18,821
Again, rationality doesn't tell you what to value or prioritize.
It abso-◊◊◊◊◊◊◊-lutely does. I have no idea what you're even talking about.
Last edited:
Again, rationality doesn't tell you what to value or prioritize.
Seems relevant to the problem I'm pointing out.There's the salience thing of course. Inflation was an is very salient to most people, well unless you are rich. Vaccines, not so much. Almost nobody has died of the measles in living memory in the US thanks to vaccines, but everyone has felt inflation.
I know, folks have died of covid, a lot of folks but, we were basically lied to about the efficacy of those vaccines so, not all that much of a winning issue. Especially when it was dems that kept poor kids and kids of color out of school.
Why should you be nice about it, well, if you want folks to vote for your side, being nice is more effective. I mean, 90% of my posts on this forum are basically if you want folks to be on your side, start by being nice to them because being mean to them will just make them not listen to you. To be fair, I'm probably doing that to.see, look how salty you get. seeing more nazis then there actually are, which is still more fairly an uncomfortable amount of nazis or that trump is a terrible choice for president but you think probably not quite as terrible as they say is so offensive to you in a way that i don't understand or even care to.
your priorities are irrational, it's not my problem. guess i'm just not being nice enough. well too bad for both of us i guess, i'm not the one who's in the wrong here but i need to bear the consequences just the same. why should i be nice about it?
I agree.Seems relevant to the problem I'm pointing out.
Mmmmmm... the COVID vaccines were pretty useful.There's the salience thing of course. Inflation was an is very salient to most people, well unless you are rich. Vaccines, not so much. Almost nobody has died of the measles in living memory in the US thanks to vaccines, but everyone has felt inflation.
I know, folks have died of covid, a lot of folks but, we were basically lied to about the efficacy of those vaccines so, not all that much of a winning issue. Especially when it was dems that kept poor kids and kids of color out of school.
i don't think so, i think they need to feel the consequences of their own decisions. that's what works.Why should you be nice about it, well, if you want folks to vote for your side, being nice is more effective. I mean, 90% of my posts on this forum are basically if you want folks to be on your side, start by being nice to them because being mean to them will just make them not listen to you. To be fair, I'm probably doing that to.
It abso-◊◊◊◊◊◊◊-lutely does. I have no idea what you're even talking about.
I've seen at least handful of articles debating this one now.Too much transgender stuff?
rationality is a factor in which values are important and which aren't. for example, whether or not to do heroin at all or whether or not they want to live or die, or whether or not suffering is good or bad or who should suffer and which sentient beings are worth it and so on and so forth. values aren't randomly pulled out of a hat.Rationality is a set of tools for understanding how the world works, it is emphatically not a set of values which tell you how the world ought to be.
Someone who wants nothing more than his next heroin dose can use his rational faculties to find it.
Someone who wants nothing more than to die soon can use rationality to find a relatively quick and painless way to do so.
Someone who wants nothing more than to cause other sentient beings to suffer can use rationality to cause as much suffering as possible.
If you think rationality has values built in, I challenge you to show me what definition you are using.
Can I ask why?The big problem I see is the idea that our lives are in the hands of government officials. If this is an incorrect assessment, it needs to be corrected. If it is correct, then we need to fundamentally change the situation so that our lives are NOT in the hands of government officials, be they "quacks" or not.
My guess would be that government officials are insufficiently expert and/or have institutional bias which causes their standards to be more focused on protecting the government, increasing their (and/or their agency's) power and the requirement for national standards means that those standards may not be fit for local purposes.Can I ask why?
Everything in the above paragraph is wrong, aside from the bit about the hat.rationality is a factor in which values are important and which aren't. for example, whether or not to do heroin at all or whether or not they want to live or die, or whether or not suffering is good or bad or who should suffer and which sentient beings are worth it and so on and so forth. values aren't randomly pulled out of a hat.
Oh, some people have died from measles. And guess who was in the middle of that.There's the salience thing of course. Inflation was an is very salient to most people, well unless you are rich. Vaccines, not so much. Almost nobody has died of the measles in living memory in the US thanks to vaccines, but everyone has felt inflation.
By folks yo uare carrying water for.I know, folks have died of covid, a lot of folks but, we were basically lied to about the efficacy of those vaccines so,
Yes, because people using your lines give a flying ◊◊◊◊ about poor kids.not all that much of a winning issue. Especially when it was dems that kept poor kids and kids of color out of school.
that's ok, this seems like a good time to tap out anyway.Everything in the above paragraph is wrong, aside from the bit about the hat.
Because government workers are often idiots and fools. This isn't peculiar to government workers, but they aren't better than the rest of us.Can I ask why?
Who said I opposed government doing any of these things? I didn't. You read that into what I actually said, but I didn't actually say any of these things.I mean, that's pretty much the whole point of government, as I see it. Large areas of our wellbeing are controlled or administered in one way or another by the government. Health, safety standards, defence, workers' rights, indeed, rights of any kind. All of these things involve creating some kind of centrally-enacted, universal standards or policies, so that everyone enjoys the same protections. These policies and standards are created by the legislature, which is democratically elected.
Note that I'm not saying that the actual practice of this is perfect, just that the principle seems to me to be sound. What, may I ask, are your reasons for opposing this?
... is way off.My guess
So who would you rather our lives be in the hands of - government workers whose job is to make things better for everyone, or capitalists who only care about themselves?Because government workers are often idiots and fools. This isn't peculiar to government workers, but they aren't better than the rest of us.
You aren't thinking it through. In practice - except for those of us who live on deserted islands - our lives are dependent on government. Without government your life would quickly get a lot worse. You might survive, but you probably wouldn't be liking it. Even with 'screwups', having government to rely on is better than not having it.What I said is that I don't want my survival to be dependent upon government. That doesn't mean I don't want government to try to help me survive, but I want to be able to survive even if government screws up. I think we should structure society such that when government does screw up (and it inevitably will), the vast majority of us can and will survive such screwups just fine.
That's how you see it. Others think differently. I don't think anarchy is a good idea. I want a government that I can depend on to do the stuff needed to keep society together and keep the country in good health, and I expect to be dependent on that. The idea of having to go it alone just because the government might (will) sometimes 'screw up' is frankly frightening. of course I want a certain amount of autonomy too, and I'm quite happy to do stuff on my own when it's not a job of government - but not when it is.Seems like this should be everyone's default position.
This is quite astonishingly naive. It is also quite the departure from your stance in the UK Politics forum, where you appear to be fairly left-wing, opposed to privatisation and in favour of nationalisation.My guess would be that government officials are insufficiently expert and/or have institutional bias which causes their standards to be more focused on protecting the government, increasing their (and/or their agency's) power and the requirement for national standards means that those standards may not be fit for local purposes.
OTOH experts from the private sector are absolutely expert and have no institutional bias. These experts will focus solely on the public good and will do so based on a much wider perspective.
Astonishing. You are arguing that companies should be allowed to release harmful chemicals freely and unfettered by oversight or legislation, in order to safeguard jobs and the profits of those companies.For example a government expert tasked with ensuring the quality of the air and water may prevent the release of certain chemicals into the air or water system because they represent some kind of risk to public health. They may not have taken into account however the impact on public health of a company having to scale back operations because they're no longer able to release those chemicals.
Likewise, it may seem desirable to insist that employers provide a safe working environment but if the impact of having to provide that safe working environment is them closing down the plant and moving to a country where the loss of life or limb is simply part of the cost of doing business then maybe those standards don't need to be so high.
Third choice: you are channeling your inner Ziggurat, and trying to express what you think is his viewpoint.Of course standards that protect the life of the unborn, indemnify corporations from prosecution by overzealous government agencies and so on are fair and good.