Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.
- Joined
- Dec 4, 2001
- Messages
- 28,828
Yes, I know that Trump didn't exactly say "neo-nazis are fine people". And Trump supporters make the same argument you do...
But here's the problem... there were NO non-racists among the alt-righters during the Charlottesville rally. How do we know that?
First of all, the rally was advertised heavily among alt-right groups.
Secondly, various racist symbols were openly displayed. Not sure about you, but if I show up anywhere (political rally, quilting bee, cat juggling festival) and people start breaking out swastikas and confederate flags, I am going to assume that that gathering is not where I want to be. So even if there was someone who showed up at the rally and innocently thought that the 'unite the right' rally was just about a few statues, the moment they saw their first nazi flag (which were openly displayed) they should have thought "nope, not for me"... anyone who stuck around after that should be seen as sympathetic to the neo-nazis.
So because there was nobody who wasn't opposed to being associated with neo-nazis among the 'alt-right' side, then Trump's claim of "fine people on both sides" indicates that yes, he thinks at least some neo-nazis are fine people.
Yeah, I used to describe that as if you show up and there are a disturbing number of noe-Nazi symbols and chants, then it is time to take a step back and say, “I need to re-examine the reasoning that led me to be at this place and time.”