• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: The Trump Presidency: Part 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not going to jump into the Is-he-really-a-billionaire debate. But I do want to point out that in any case, he sure doesn’t act line a billionaire. A million or even a quarter million is really, really important to him.
I think losing so much money over the years mens that he grabs at everything he can whenever he can.
 
Hassan Hassan Tweeted
Here he speaks at length about Syria to Iraq’s Kurdish region president as though it was Mazloum Abdo of the Syrian YPG.

‘Thank you for keeping the zone safe.’

And to add insult to injury: “We’re keeping the oil’ Link

The video is embedded in this link and does not require a login. And it even gets worse:
Earlier Jan. 22, the White House’s official YouTube channel initially listed Trump as having met with the president of Iran at Davos, when in fact it was Iraqi President Barham Salih. The caption has since been corrected.
 
Trump Tweets

I LOVE ALABAMA!

Democrats are going to destroy your Social Security. I have totally left it alone, as promised, and will save it!


Save it, in the Ben Tre sense.

President Donald Trump signaled this week that he's open to cutting federal entitlements to reduce the federal deficit, despite previously campaigning on protecting Medicare and Social Security.
Asked by CNBC at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, whether entitlements would ever be on his plate, Trump responded, "At some point they will be."
"We have tremendous growth. We're going to have tremendous growth. This next year I -- it'll be toward the end of the year. The growth is going to be incredible. And at the right time, we will take a look at that," he added.
Asked by CNBC whether he was willing "to do some of the things that you said you wouldn't do in the past, though, in terms of Medicare," Trump said: "We're going look."


He's going to protect Social Security and Medicare ... until after the election.
 
Save it, in the Ben Tre sense.




He's going to protect Social Security and Medicare ... until after the election.

The budget they submitted for next year cuts social security by $25 bil.

Then again, we're at the tail end of boomers, so they can start the total phase out now. Because as long as the boomers get their social security, it doesn't matter what happens for anyone else.
 
I’m not going to jump into the Is-he-really-a-billionaire debate. But I do want to point out that in any case, he sure doesn’t act line a billionaire. A million or even a quarter million is really, really important to him.
$6 is important enough to warrant cheating via his foundation. That was Junior's little league fee (or something like that).
 
I’m not going to jump into the Is-he-really-a-billionaire debate. But I do want to point out that in any case, he sure doesn’t act line a billionaire. A million or even a quarter million is really, really important to him.

That's how some rich people are, and it's probably how some of them got rich. I used to work for a guy worth a couple of hundred million, and he personally reviewed employee expense reports for overspending on meals and stuff.
 
The budget they submitted for next year cuts social security by $25 bil.

Then again, we're at the tail end of boomers, so they can start the total phase out now. Because as long as the boomers get their social security, it doesn't matter what happens for anyone else.

I don't know if we are at the tail end of the boomers, I am a boomer still working and still voting, I paid into social security, I should be entitled to get my money back.

We still have 30 years of boomer votes to pander to.

Seems like Trump is trying to piss off every voting block out there.
 
I don't know if we are at the tail end of the boomers, I am a boomer still working and still voting, I paid into social security, I should be entitled to get my money back.

Oh, you will. Likely. Certainly those already retired will continue to get theirs. But cutting the budget will limit the ability to add anyone new
 
I paid into social security, I should be entitled to get my money back.

Yeah that's sort of the problem.

- Social Security isn't going to last forever. (No this isn't 100% inevitable, but it's a non-crazy thing to consider as a possibility.)
- Everybody is paying into it.
- Nobody wants to be the generation that pays into but doesn't get anything back but since you have to pay into before you get something back somebody has to be.
- The can is kicked down the road, making the inevitable collapse even bigger.

If Social Security fails (and "fails" includes major restructurings and rebuildings) somebody has to eat the cost.
 
Last edited:
Yeah that's sort of the problem.

- Social Security isn't going to last forever. (No this isn't 100% inevitable, but it's a non-crazy thing to consider as a possibility.)
- Everybody is paying into it.
- Nobody wants to be the generation that pays into but doesn't get anything back but since you have to pay into before you get something back somebody has to be.
- The can is kicked down the road, making the inevitable collapse even bigger.

If Social Security fails (and "fails" includes major restructurings and rebuildings) somebody has to eat the cost.

Gen X. We've always known we'll be the ones screwed. We're smaller in number than Boomers and Millennials so they can safely screw us. Our revenge will be our apathetic lack of action on the environment, which will last exactly as long as Gen X life expectancy.
 
This has gone off-topic but is probably too important to too many people to ignore. On the AARP website there is an article titled, "How much longer will Social Security be around?"
According to the 2019 annual report of the Social Security Board of Trustees the trust funds that disburse retirement, disability and other Social Security benefits will be depleted by 2035. That does not mean Social Security will no longer be around; it means the system will exhaust its cash reserves and will be able to pay out only what it takes in year-to-year in Social Security taxes. If this comes to pass, Social Security would be able to pay about 80 percent of the benefits to which retired and disabled workers are entitled. Link

Social Security appears to be self-funded to about 80% of benefits.
 
Gen X. We've always known we'll be the ones screwed. We're smaller in number than Boomers and Millennials so they can safely screw us. Our revenge will be our apathetic lack of action on the environment, which will last exactly as long as Gen X life expectancy.

During the big culture-war between the Boomers and the Greatest Generation in the lates 60s, early 70s George Carlin once quipped "I'm 35 at a time when everybody is either 18 or 60."

I feel that sometimes.
 
You are supporting a president who stated that "Neo-Nazis are fine people"
Now, now. He didn't say that. He said there was "fine people" along with the neo-Nazis. Not a smart thing to say, but it's not the same thing.
Yes, I know that Trump didn't exactly say "neo-nazis are fine people". And Trump supporters make the same argument you do...

But here's the problem... there were NO non-racists among the alt-righters during the Charlottesville rally. How do we know that?

First of all, the rally was advertised heavily among alt-right groups.

Secondly, various racist symbols were openly displayed. Not sure about you, but if I show up anywhere (political rally, quilting bee, cat juggling festival) and people start breaking out swastikas and confederate flags, I am going to assume that that gathering is not where I want to be. So even if there was someone who showed up at the rally and innocently thought that the 'unite the right' rally was just about a few statues, the moment they saw their first nazi flag (which were openly displayed) they should have thought "nope, not for me"... anyone who stuck around after that should be seen as sympathetic to the neo-nazis.

So because there was nobody who wasn't opposed to being associated with neo-nazis among the 'alt-right' side, then Trump's claim of "fine people on both sides" indicates that yes, he thinks at least some neo-nazis are fine people.
 
Yes, I know that Trump didn't exactly say "neo-nazis are fine people". And Trump supporters make the same argument you do...

But here's the problem... there were NO non-racists among the alt-righters during the Charlottesville rally. How do we know that?

First of all, the rally was advertised heavily among alt-right groups.

Yeah I know what the rally was for. I think what Trump was trying to get across, and I might be very wrong, is that there were non-Nazis at the rally. I guess he thinks, or claims to think, that there were people there who were just protesting the statue removal thingy.
 
Yeah I know what the rally was for. I think what Trump was trying to get across, and I might be very wrong, is that there were non-Nazis at the rally. I guess he thinks, or claims to think, that there were people there who were just protesting the statue removal thingy.
I have no idea what Trump is thinking.

Maybe he was just being an idiot, not really thinking how dumb it would be to have someone see Nazi flags and NOT be sympathetic to racist causes if they decided to stick around.

Or maybe Trump realizes he has to pander to his racist base... maybe he does realize that everyone at that rally (on the alt-right side) was a racist, but he needs to pander to the racist vote, hence the "fine people on both sides"... a bigoted Trump supporter can then justify any sort of racist attitude, thinking "I can be a fine person despite my racism".
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom