• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The Trump Presidency 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's time to assume that people who claim that Dolt 45 hasn't said anything racist are simply lying. They know that he's a white nationalist, they are as well, and they simply don't have the courage to say so out loud.

I don't know :(

Like Captain Swoop, I spend time down the pub with people who consider themselves "salt of the Earth". A very few are openly and proudly racist. Others are like the people quoted in the article, they don't consider themselves racist, they loudly proclaim they aren't racist (a fact they support by noting their friend(s) who are black/brown/yellow) and who get very insulted if you suggest that they may be racist.

They then go on to use the most horrible racial stereotypes, tell very old fashioned jokes in which the race of one or more of the characters is represented as a cruel caricature or make sweeping comments about a country based on lazy generalisations.

It would be easy to say that many of them are a product of the times they were brought up in - British TV in the 70s was institutionally racist - the trouble is that they are teaching this same behaviour to younger generations. They get away with it because there isn't much racial diversity around here.

It seems to be the opposite people that were in denial before are just now starting to say "Wait a minute, he's telling these nonwhite women from the US to go back where they came from. That's kinda racist!" News outlets seem to be abandoning the asinine phrases they often use, like "racially charged" or "controversial", and just saying flat-out "racist". These folks are very late to the party - anyone who was paying attention should have been saying this when he was pushing Birtherism, and only a few journalists are stating the fact that he sounds like David Duke, or one of those buffoons you see on cell phone videos screeching at Hispanic people for speaking to each other in Spanish.

....the thing is, that this doesn't seem to be damaging President Trump or the GOP to any meaningful degree. :(

Still, the racists, again, know that he represents and advances their own hatred and fear, so they've already been voting for them. People who believe that are against white supremacism have been against him from jump. It's the group I'm describing above that will likely say "Ugh, I'm not voting for this guy again!", particularly if media keeps it up and start treating him like the dangerous, hateful demagogue that he is rather than that wacky rich guy who we all love so much and oh no Hillary's email server!

I'm not sure that there is a large group of people who are shifting away from President Trump. His polling numbers are solid and, if anything, are experiencing a bit of an uptick.

The majority of white people, even those who are a little uncomfortable with the tweets, will still put that to one side come the election and vote Trump/GOP as long as the economy continues to tick along and as long as they feel comfortable financially.
 
Direct attacks on Trump do strengthen his public support - temporarily. The reason for why he is attacked is entirely irrelevant: his base would be just as outraged for Dems calling him out for using the wrong fork for the salad or being caught having sex with a sex worker Ivanka age 19 look-alike.

That is why the Dems focusing on getting Trump through the Courts is the better path.
 
Trump Retweets

Steve Daines
‏Verified account
Montanans are sick and tired of listening to anti-American, anti-Semite, radical Democrats trash our country and our ideals. This is America. We’re the greatest country in the world.
I stand with @realdonaldtrump. ����
 
Trump Tweets

So great to see how unified the Republican Party was on today’s vote concerning statements I made about four Democrat Congresswomen. If you really want to see statements, look at the horrible things they said about our Country, Israel, and much more. They are now the top, most...

....visible members of the House Democrats, who are now wedded to this bitterness and hate. The Republican vote was 187-4. Wow! Also, this was the first time since 1984 that the Speaker of the House was ruled Out of Order and broke the Rules of the House. Quite a day!
 
Trump Tweets

So great to see how unified the Republican Party was on today’s vote concerning statements I made about four Democrat Congresswomen. If you really want to see statements, look at the horrible things they said about our Country, Israel, and much more. They are now the top, most...

....visible members of the House Democrats, who are now wedded to this bitterness and hate. The Republican vote was 187-4. Wow! Also, this was the first time since 1984 that the Speaker of the House was ruled Out of Order and broke the Rules of the House. Quite a day!

I'd just like to point out that it's absurd that congressmen can't call a president's racist statements "racist" on the record. Again, this is the mindset where "racist" is treated as an insult rather than a description. The former is rude, sure, but the latter is simply either true, or not. And in the case of Dolt 45, it's been "obviously true" for decades. Best to get rid of the rule itself, rather than taking absurd steps like not allowing accurate descriptions on the record.
 
I don't know :(

Like Captain Swoop, I spend time down the pub with people who consider themselves "salt of the Earth". A very few are openly and proudly racist. Others are like the people quoted in the article, they don't consider themselves racist, they loudly proclaim they aren't racist (a fact they support by noting their friend(s) who are black/brown/yellow) and who get very insulted if you suggest that they may be racist.

Yeah, I know the type. And as you say, they're happy to say all sorts of racist things. They know full well what they believe, thus, they know that they're racists. As I said, they're just too cowardly to embrace the term.

....the thing is, that this doesn't seem to be damaging President Trump or the GOP to any meaningful degree. :(

What evidence we have so far points to the opposite - more people are saying "this party needs to be cleaned out". Of course, we won't know for sure until polling is done, but until then, I go with the info I have.

I'm not sure that there is a large group of people who are shifting away from President Trump. His polling numbers are solid and, if anything, are experiencing a bit of an uptick.

Again, we don't have any polling on this, and none that takes this into account on a national level.

The majority of white people, even those who are a little uncomfortable with the tweets, will still put that to one side come the election and vote Trump/GOP as long as the economy continues to tick along and as long as they feel comfortable financially.

A majority of white (non-Hispanic) people will vote for republicans regardless, because this only helps them, and they're more worried about the overall economy or controlling when women give birth and the like.
 
The Trump Administration has some exploitable weak points - but unfortunately they are not with Trump himself.
Basically everyone working for Trump could be charged with malfeasance or profiteering.
Media Companies working as spokesperson for Trump could be targeted by consumers for boycott to make advertisers pull their support, forcing a change in programming.
And people working in the Trump Campaign or Trump Organization could be investigated for their part in tax fraud and campaign finance violations.
Fighting Trump on his turf is a mistake - but it doe make sense to fight him indirectly on many fronts; this works well, since Trump wants to micromanage everything when he feels attacked.
We are already at the point where it is obvious that Trump does absolutely nothing all day than watch TV and tweet about it. I doubt he has time to spare fighting even more legal battles without something cracking.
 
Last edited:
Mitch McConnell said Trump is not a racist. He based this on the fact that he's never seen Trump at a Klan rally.

Well, any of the ones he's been to, anyway.

Wow. Four whole Republicans. Another proud day for the GOP.

Yeah, the party of polite gentlemen, eh?

I am sorry, but I do not see a peaceful, not violent ending to this.

You know, on the one hand, I'm really tired of reading this from you, and on the other I nod a bit every time.

I just do not see a peaceful end to this .

See?
 
:rolleyes:

Whatever.

What? How many days a week is he on? How many of those do not include jokes about Trump? You don't think Trump jokes get automatic applause from his audience?

What part of what I said got you to roll your eyes? The fact that you like Colbert? So do I, but I just don't find him entertaining in his current incarnation.
 
Wow. Four whole Republicans. Another proud day for the GOP.

It is though, shows how much control over their elected officials the party has. The reaction to this is something any republican can be proud of. You just have to understand republican values.
 
My point is the ideas this country was found upon included armed resistence to tyranny as a last resort. I hope it does not come to that, but to think it coming to that is impossible is foolish. What scares me is that it's not just Trump but the GOP in general who seem willing to do anything to maintain power.

Exactly the republicans let a bit too much democracy get into the selection of their candidates and found that stoking the mob for decades has consequences. But at least we are getting properly republican deficits out of this whole thing so that is a big win.
 
Since there's no chance of Congress doing the right thing by starting impeachment hearings, the #1 priority has to be finding ways to convince people that he shouldn't get their votes. Those ways have to be simple.

Given that there is no way the senate would convict would impeaching him be wize? Hearings are needed but really everyone knows he is a criminal and racist. Republicans like that about him and as long as the base loves those things and the elected officials don't care impeachment is not going to do anything.
 
Oof. Read some of his tweets in the last two days.

Is he losing it?

I'm not sure that his tweets of the last couple of days are any different to what he's been saying or tweeting during the campaign or Presidency.

He's made racist comments and tweeted and retweeted racist tweets.

He's doubled and trebled down.

He's attacked political opponents for the most trivial things.

He's lied time and time and time again.

He's tweeted gibberish.

Sadly I see nothing different or out of character for President Trump :(
 
I'm not sure that his tweets of the last couple of days are any different to what he's been saying or tweeting during the campaign or Presidency.

He's made racist comments and tweeted and retweeted racist tweets.

He's doubled and trebled down.

He's attacked political opponents for the most trivial things.

He's lied time and time and time again.

He's tweeted gibberish.

Sadly I see nothing different or out of character for President Trump :(

Yea the weirdest thing is that people think this is somehow different from his behavior this whole time
 
In a discussion about the president's statements, how does the ethnicity of the questioner have any validity? It's literally not about the reporter but the POTUS. I was careful with my choice of words, that Conway was playing the race card.

I think she probably used the wrong word in saying 'ethnicity'. She was trying to use his (the reporter's) 'origins/ancestry' as an example in order to try spinning Trump's "original country" as being less offensive. It's all bs of course. Conway is cunning in her ways of spinning things, but that is always her main aim.

Americans seem to be unique in their claims of being ½ this and ¼ that when referring to themselves. "i'm a quarter Irish". I'm not criticising that, just noting it. [I have a (two) funny name(s) and people always ask me what nationality it is. I don't consider my nationality to be anything other than of the country i was born and raised in, although I hope eventually not to have to use that either.]
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom