phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
- Joined
- Aug 25, 2010
- Messages
- 13,590
Fortunately, nobody is going to deport you or imprison you in a concentration camp because you're wrong.
I genuinely cannot follow your point here.
Fortunately, nobody is going to deport you or imprison you in a concentration camp because you're wrong.
I can imagine a well-meaning defender of Trump saying that Trump's statement wasn't racist, it was politically motivated. It wasn't because of the ethnic backgrounds of the Squad and he would've said it to any vociferous progressives. I think that such a person could sincerely believe it.
I'd also think they'd be mighty wrong, but I wouldn't call them racist.
I'd call one who knows damned well that Trump was being racist and defends him anyway (Lindsey Graham, say) unprincipled and deceitful. I'd call one who knows that Trump tweeted what he did because of the ethnicity of the Squad and agrees with Trump a racist. I'd allow that some folk are just ignorant and cannot see the racism in Trump's tweet. They oughta know better but they don't.
For me, the rest of the Republicans who are silent are the dogs that didn’t bark. Ordinarily, if they thought the language was fine they would defend Trump. If they thought it was borderline they would say that they agreed with the language but disagree with how it was expressed. This time, they cannot possibly defend the tweets in any way. They are not paid to do so so they have decided to say nothing at all. To hide under a few coats and hope everything turns out okay in the end. Sniveling cowards with no moral courage.
I suspect there's a certain sense of relief for Republicans. No more strained euphemisms like "Real Americans" (was there ever a "Real American" who wasn't white?). This is their "there, I've said it" moment.I'd call one who knows damned well that Trump was being racist and defends him anyway (Lindsey Graham, say) unprincipled and deceitful. I'd call one who knows that Trump tweeted what he did because of the ethnicity of the Squad and agrees with Trump a racist. I'd allow that some folk are just ignorant and cannot see the racism in Trump's tweet. They oughta know better but they don't.
The GOP is a festering dung-heap, and has been for years. The mask had been ripped off, and behind it is its true face - and it's the face of Mitch McConnell. An uglier one is difficult to imagine.Agreed.
The GOP "leadership" is pathetic.
Don't make fools out of yourselves.Defending President Trump’s repeated racist attacks against a group of Democratic congresswomen of color, White House counselor Kellyanne Conway claimed on Tuesday that the so-called “Squad” represents a “dark underbelly in this country” and that some of the lawmakers are “palling around with terrorists.”
I think Babbylonian is suggesting that your "then they came for me" moment is still a little way off.I genuinely cannot follow your point here.
The House voted along party lines to allow Speaker Nancy Pelosi to refer to President Donald Trump's tweets about minority Democratic lawmakers as "racist," overriding House rules and GOP objections.
The nearly two-hour long delay threw the House into chaos and pushed back a final vote on a resolution condemning Trump's rhetoric. That vote is now expected late Tuesday night.
...
Republicans felt that Pelosi clearly violated House rules and objected to the California Democrat's remarks on Trump.
"Every single member of this institution, Democratic and Republican, should join us in condemning the president's racist tweets," Pelosi said. "To do anything less would be a shocking rejection of our values and a shameful abdication of our oath of office to protect the American people."
Under House rules and parliamentary precedent, lawmakers may not refer to the president having made "a bigoted or racist statement." Rep. Doug Collins (R-Ga.) asked Pelosi to "rephrase" her statement.
Pelosi refused, saying she had "cleared them with the parliamentarian" before she made them. The parliamentarian oversees issues of precedent and procedure on the floor.
It seems Pence has given up on the Rapture, which is understandable.Trump Retweets
Vice President Mike Pence
Verified account
@VP
50 years ago, Apollo 11 launched holding astronauts that would soon make history and walk on the moon. Today, under the leadership of President @realDonaldTrump, the US has rededicated itself to deep space exploration to the Moon, Mars, and beyond! #Apollo50th
Seriously, for anyone trying to pretend Kellyanne isn't a ******* racist...
https://www.thedailybeast.com/kelly...nt-a-dark-underbelly-in-this-country?ref=home
Don't make fools out of yourselves.
I think Babbylonian is suggesting that your "then they came for me" moment is still a little way off.
Sorry, "dark underbelly" is the smoking gun?
Anyway, I've not pretended she isn't a racist. I said a particular exchange wasn't evidence of racism.
Yeah, too bad the racist's racist boss hadn't picked some white Democrats to personally insult. It's just pure coincidence that he said those things about women of color.I suspect that her point during the interview was supposed to be that everyone has somewhere other then the US that they're "from" if you go back in their family tree, so anyone can go "back where they came from" regardless of race.
It was still stupid.
The GOP is a festering dung-heap, and has been for years. The mask had been ripped off, and behind it is its true face - and it's the face of Mitch McConnell. An uglier one is difficult to imagine.
How does Conway's statement make the slightest bit of sense? It just doesn't, does it? It's a string of words, signifying nothing.FEINBERG: My own ethnicity is not relevant to the question I'm asking.
CONWAY: No no, it is, because you're asking, he said originally, he said originally from.
I suspect that her point during the interview was supposed to be that everyone has somewhere other then the US that they're "from" if you go back in their family tree, so anyone can go "back where they came from" regardless of race.
It was still stupid.