• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Trump runs for POTUS/ Trumped Up! Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marty, I just got back from the future with an excerpt from Trump's concession speech!
There are no more barriers to cross. All I have in common with the uncontrollable and the insane, the vicious and the evil, all the mayhem I have caused and my utter indifference toward it I have now surpassed. My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone, in fact I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape, but even after admitting this there is no catharsis, my punishment continues to elude me and I gain no deeper knowledge of myself; no new knowledge can be extracted from my telling. This confession has meant nothing.
 
Google "poll emancipation proclamation" You'll find it and a lot more. You'll wish you hadn't.

I had to remove the quotations, and then got articles that weren't all that relevant.

Hey, tell you what. You show me what I missed. Where is it clear that (1) large (or even largish) percentages of Trump supporters oppose the Emancipation Proclamation and (2) they know what it means.

Because it really must be a small minority who don't think that slaves in the rebelling states ought to be freed. A really, really, really small minority. A vanishingly small minority who think that, for instance, Georgian slaves ought to remain in bondage. A *********** very small minority. That's what I'm trying to suggest here.
 
The answer turns out to be more complex and interesting than the sound bite:

http://www.snopes.com/trump-supporters-pro-slavery/

They used the term "executive order" in the question, which is likely to set off an emotional response.

Trump's numbers weren't exactly off the charts compared to other candidates, and were on par with a similar poll taken 2 years earlier.

Thanks for the explanation.

Honestly, such poll results show a dispiriting ignorance regarding history. There are very, very few persons alive today in the U.S. who think that the rebelling states should have retained their slaves.
 
I had to remove the quotations, and then got articles that weren't all that relevant.

Hey, tell you what. You show me what I missed. Where is it clear that (1) large (or even largish) percentages of Trump supporters oppose the Emancipation Proclamation and (2) they know what it means.

Because it really must be a small minority who don't think that slaves in the rebelling states ought to be freed. A really, really, really small minority. A vanishingly small minority who think that, for instance, Georgian slaves ought to remain in bondage. A *********** very small minority. That's what I'm trying to suggest here.

I'll look for it. This is from memory. I also saw it referred to in this video.

https://youtu.be/q1uAZ0Gw89Q
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation.

Honestly, such poll results show a dispiriting ignorance regarding history. There are very, very few persons alive today in the U.S. who think that the rebelling states should have retained their slaves.

You would be surprised. I have traveled all over the country and make friends very easily. I was invited by some very nice people in Jackson Mississippi to a big barbecue. I mean these were very nice people. About 40 to 50 people were there. Still, I listened to a discussion where a majority seemed to be of the opinion that blacks were better off as slaves. Their attitudes towards blacks shocked the hell out of me. And I assure you they weren't outliers in Mississippi. There is still some deeply held racism in the deep South.

I remember going to the world famous Cowboy bar Gillys in the 80s and right across the street there was a billboard promoting the KKK. Nationally, I would agree with you. But racism is alive and well in the US and is seeing a resurgence.
 
There is a good case to be made to go full collision with everyone in the GOP not expressedly supporting him: he will truly be the outsider, running against Washington Establishment in both parties.

Which creates a real problem for the GOP in 2020. The chorus of voices demanding that they elect a Real ConservativeTM in 2020 will be hard to fight against with the result that they swing to far to the other side. Someone in the mold of ,say, a Pence or a Santorum or a Huckabee is just as much of a loser as Trump, just for different reasons.
 
Thanks for the explanation.

Honestly, such poll results show a dispiriting ignorance regarding history. There are very, very few persons alive today in the U.S. who think that the rebelling states should have retained their slaves.

Which goes to show the disconnect between the historical Confederacy and the romanticized version that has never existed except in the minds of its apologists. The Confederate states rebelled in order to be able to retain their slaves. Someone who feels that the South "should have won", or was justified in fighting, while at the same time believing that the South should not have retained its slaves, lacks understanding of certain key historical facts.
 
I can't even parse that. The current president is too autocratic, and to correct the country, we need someone even more autocratic?

Is there any other way to interpret LePage's quote?

Yes. My authoritarians are good, in fact, necessary. Yours should be impeached.
 
He might even be more influential in her administration than Dick Cheney was in W's.
On the other hand, he might not.

Your negative, emotive statement speculation is a template for the fear-mongering which has come to characterize GOP politics, and not just in this election. Selling FUD is a basic tactic of the GOP. OH MY GOD, brown people. OH MY GOD, socialism. OH MY GOD, isis. OH MY GOD, condoms. OH MY GOD, the wrong bathroom.

Rise above it, sunmaster14.
 
No, I don't think 70 is too old for sex. I just think that one's libido drops with age. The kind of sexual assault that Bill Clinton and Donald Trump are alleged to have perpetrated almost certainly arises from a competition between the libido and the superego, which the libido wins. At 70, it's a lot easier for the superego to win out.

Seriously? Freud?
 
And I'm not grasping the critical nature of the location.

I'll support sunmaster14 on this one. The White House is more than just the presidential residence. It is a symbol of America that is probably one of the most internationally recognized symbols there is. It carries substantial connotation. For Slick to debauch it, much less the Oval Office (or its immediate vicinity) sullied more than just himself.

It was a moral stain on much more than just Bill or just the President. It smeared both the presidency as an institution and the county.
 
A criticism of the Democratic primary process was that it heavily favored the establishment candidate, to the detriment of challengers. But the Republican process in some ways disfavored the establishment candidates, resulting in pretty much the most anti-establishment nominee imaginable. Subject for discussion: How could the Republican primary process be revised to prevent another Trump, but still allow a reasonable variety of challengers?

I can suggest one that applies to both parties: don't do your primaries by holding caucuses. That process is just plain dumb. D.U.M.B.
 
You know, kind of makes me wounder what 'The Donald's' secret service code name is...

"The Groper"

"Orange Fog"

"Sniffles"
"Lier McLier Face"

"DOA" (told to him as Don's Outrageously Awesome)

"Comb-over"

"Mussoteeny"

Made me chuckle out loud. Thanks.
 
Which, I have to say, has nothing to do with Hillary, except possibly her enabling and/or condoning such behavior.

I've seen this stated many times and I just don't get it. How did she enable Bill's philandering? What actions did she take to give him the green light? These are honest questions ... and try to be specifi.
 
I'm all over the map politically and made peace with it some time ago but I'll be the first to admit that GOP plays the game a 1,000 times better than the Democrats could ever hope too. The proof is how successful politically they have been despite... while being absolutely wrong about everything and on the wrong side of every single social issue ever.
I liked your whole post - well said - but wanted to comment on this paragraph. I don't have a single quibble about it but would point out an additional factor. With about 70% of the population below 100 IQ, selling simpler ideas is easier than dealing with the complexities of the real world. Add to that the incessant FUD sold by the Elephants (which is very effective on nearly all people) and you have a winning formula. But, damn they're good at it.
 
SezMe;11534603[/quote said:
For Slick to debauch it, much less the Oval Office (or its immediate vicinity) sullied more than just himself.

I see your point but it doesn't strike me quite as viscerally.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom