Yes. Well-known issue. Pads and tampons cost money. People with no money, e.g. living on welfare or assistance, cannot put their menstrual treatments on food stamps ('cuz they're not food) and cannot put them on their Medicaid because they're not covered.
Male societal problems are inisignificsnt in comparison to female ones.
Who is "we" and what is "this part of the world" You're addressing someone who spent years in Turkey. I'm in Thailand. Wolfman and Roborrama are in China. Do we have to put on our original roots thinking caps, or are we allowed to think about the 70% of the earth's population that does not enjoy the progress of the last century towards equality?
I don't want to go all Dear Muslima on you but the concerns of a bunch of western middle class petulant children (feminists or MRAs) pale in comparison to worrying about your neighbors and countrymen selling off their not-yet-teenaged daughters to people traffickers.
Haven't seen a post about this, so here goes:
A bunch of students, faculty and alumni at the University of York sent an open letter to complain about the university marking International Men's Day. I can't do it justice so you might as well read it yourself.
Here is the university's response where they back down and apologize for being so thoughtless (read: misogynistic) as to acknowledge that men have issues, too.
I liked the part of the first article that refers to the day as a "controversial international day". Can't say I'm surprised.
Absolutely insane. My thoughts at present mirror this video by Vernaculis pretty well (where I first heard about it):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEW9Jajqty4
I have yet to find anything in there that is dishonest or offensive. I fail to see why they would object other than their own misguided political BS.“In academic staff appointments, the data suggests that female candidates have a higher chance of being appointed than men. In the professional support services, there are areas where men are significantly under-represented. Likewise in academic departments, the support staff complement is often heavily weighted towards women, with some departments employing no men at all in these roles.
“The reasons for these circumstances are complex and the solutions will not be found overnight, but we are resolved to address these issues systematically and fairly, in the same way that we approach unfairness and discrimination faced by women.”
In wider society, men are confronted by other challenges which are significant from an equality perspective. Boys underperform at school compared to girls. Men are 20 times more likely than women to go to prison; they are much more likely to be victims of violent crime, are more likely to commit suicide and have a lower life expectancy than women. Men are also less likely to access mental health services and other forms of support when they need them.
Men currently have to wait longer than women before they receive a State pension and at certain stages in life, they are less well protected by equality legislation than women. These issues inevitably impact on men employed at the University and on the lives of our students.
Haven't seen a post about this, so here goes:
A bunch of students, faculty and alumni at the University of York sent an open letter to complain about the university marking International Men's Day. I can't do it justice so you might as well read it yourself.
Here is the university's response where they back down and apologize for being so thoughtless (read: misogynistic) as to acknowledge that men have issues, too.
I liked the part of the first article that refers to the day as a "controversial international day". Can't say I'm surprised.
Absolutely insane. My thoughts at present mirror this video by Vernaculis pretty well (where I first heard about it):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEW9Jajqty4
That's an interesting (and probably unquantifiable) claim but ultimately it's irrelevant. How does one group suffering less make talking about their suffering controversial?
edit: or do you think males suffer so little that the tiny bit they do suffer is irrelevant?
Out of curiosity, I am wondering how you've come to the conclusion that TODAY men are in a better position than women overall.
Well, you don't actually have to be an oppressed minority to get a day. Trees, St James, President Lincoln, and Pi all have days. It's not like there's an official Calendar Keeper who gets to decide who deserves days or not. It's just various people deciding to say "such and such is a day for so-and-so". That Waffles have a day doesn't take away from Pearl Harbor Day, unless of course they are the same day in which case that's a question of taste.
We should have a day to remember men's long and ongoing struggle for suffrage and franchise.
What, like the higher rates of male homicides and suicide? Or that prostate cancer research gets about half the funding as breast cancer research, despite causing a similar number of deaths?Male societal problems are inisignificsnt in comparison to female ones.
Here is the original letter in support of IMD:
https://web.archive.org/web/2015111...nts/news/2015/events/mensday-gender-equality/
Which includes:
I have yet to find anything in there that is dishonest or offensive. I fail to see why they would object other than their own misguided political BS.
What, like the higher rates of male homicides and suicide?
What, like the higher rates of male homicides and suicide? Or that prostate cancer research gets about half the funding as breast cancer research, despite causing a similar number of deaths?
Back in 1991 I saw a post that stated "If men got breast cancer there would be a cure by now." I stopped donating ***** at that point.
What, like the higher rates of male homicides and suicide? Or that prostate cancer research gets about half the funding as breast cancer research, despite causing a similar number of deaths?
Toilet tissue costs money. Can that be put on food stamps? A quick Google confirms it can't because, hey... it's not food. The same apparently applies to soap and deoderant. I think collectively there's a lot of stuff there that could affect a person's ability to present themselves well at a job interview, so why single out sanitary products?Yes. Well-known issue. Pads and tampons cost money. People with no money, e.g. living on welfare or assistance, cannot put their menstrual treatments on food stamps ('cuz they're not food) and cannot put them on their Medicaid because they're not covered.
Is it a fact and important in the context of this thread that women's societal problems are caused by men?
That is a bit harsh, look at all the work men have put into developing and improving irons, cookers and washing machines.Is it a fact and important in the context of this thread that women's societal problems are caused by men?