DGM
Skeptic not Atheist
So am I. Why am I expected to source mine and not you? Group think?What dodge? I was stating my opinion.
So am I. Why am I expected to source mine and not you? Group think?What dodge? I was stating my opinion.
I'm looking to see if you believe NASCAR fans are racists. Wasn't that claim where this started? Hate those goal posts?
I noticed you edited the question from my post. Not surprising.
I support my claim with personal experience. The history of NASCAR is well after the civil war and is only connected to the south by geography.I noticed that you haven't supported your claim and have done quite a bit to avoid doing so.
I don't see how I can speak for the vague "them" you cite (the "pretty common" "intellectuals" on the left who have only contempt for the South and American Rural areas in general) because I haven't met more than a handful. Good method of denoucing stereotyping, by the way.The attitude toward the South..and American Rural areas in general...we have seen displayed by some here is,sadly, pretty common among a certain class of self styled "intellectuals" (though I consider them to be more intellectual wannabes) on the left. It's one of total contempt,which reminds one of the attitude of the Party members in Orwell's "1984" toward The "Proles".
And it comes around to bite them in the butt come election time. It's giving massive amounts of free ammo to the political right.
What is really distressing is that they never learn from it. I guess feeling superior to people and that buzz you get from insulting others is more important then winning elections...
In other words, you either are at least 100 years old and were a rum runner during 1920s Prohibition and still only have anecdotal evidence OR you have no evidence and have talking out your backside.I support my claim with personal experience. The history of NASCAR is well after the civil war and is only connected to the south by geography.
Simply stating that the flag symbolizes heritage doesn't work any better than stating that the swastika is a symbol of heritage. At least the swastika existed before the Nazi's subverted it to symbolize their distorted views; the same is not true of the Confederate battle flag.
Dylan Roof also burned the American flag and posted pictures of himself burning our flag. So why aren't liberals calling for a ban on burning the flag? Why the selectivity? If the Confederate flag must be banned because Roof posed with it, why should we not also ban burning the American flag since Roof burned the American flag?
The Confederate flag is not a racist symbol any more than the American flag is a racist symbol.
The Confederate battle flag is not the real issue here.
That's right. Still can't address the original claim. Do you believe that NASCAR is disproportionately racist (as is claimed) and this claim is supported because the fans are "red necks".In other words, you either are at least 100 years old and were a rum runner during 1920s Prohibition and still only have anecdotal evidence OR you have no evidence and have talking out your backside.
That's right. Still can't address the original claim. Do you believe that NASCAR is disproportionately racist (as is claimed) and this claim is supported because the fans are "red necks".
Take your time.
The real issue is the current administration want to shift focus on the fact they have no intention of supporting excising gun laws. You get more attention by claiming the opposition opposes new laws. We don't need new, we need support for what is already there.I strongly disagree.
Good. Why did you jump in on a conversation with another poster? Can I assume you don't support the argument that NASCAR is disproportionately racist? Hard to assume that considering you've not ask him/her for source.I have made no such claim. You made a claim and have utterly failed to supported it. Hitchens Razor.
Good. Why did you jump in on a conversation with another poster?
I asked for a reason why NASCAR was considered predominately racist. The answer was, "red necks". Did you miss this or do you agree? When you jump in, maybe you should read for context.Because you made a claim that sounded ridiculous given actual history and was actually on topic, unlike NASCAR.
I think you miss a point. Yes, I understand what a symbol may have meant in the past but, I believe these symbols can evolve. The swastika would be a real tough (and I think offensive) sell but, the Confederate battle flag has in fact evolved over the years. The Confederate battle flag is not the real issue here. The fact some think it is......................
I'm glad you said this. Let's abolish the flag and make racism disappear. (well at least until after the election).Of course the Confederate flag and its racist connotations are the "real issue". That's what the entire thread, and the entire decades-long debate about the flag, has been about. On the contrary, what is actually "not the real issue here" is Dylan Roof, and the particulars of his case. People were using the flag as an expression of racism, and people were identifying it as racist and demanding for instance that it be removed from South Carolina state property, long before Roof came along.
I support my claim with personal experience.
I think you miss a point. Yes, I understand what a symbol may have meant in the past but, I believe these symbols can evolve. The swastika would be a real tough (and I think offensive) sell but, the Confederate battle flag has in fact evolved over the years. The Confederate battle flag is not the real issue here. The fact some think it is......................
I'm glad you said this. Let's abolish the flag and make racism disappear. (well at least until after the election).
![]()
That is neither a source nor evidence for rum runners using the Cofederate flag as a symbol. NASCAR came after Prohibition.
It is highly unlikely that the Confederate flag had any significance to Prohibition, since the flag was not widely used between the end of the Civil War and the late 1950s or early 1960s.
Johnson was born in Wilkes County, North Carolina, the fourth of seven children of Lora Belle Money and Robert Glenn Johnson, Sr. His father, a lifelong bootlegger, spent nearly twenty of his sixty-three years in prison, as their house was frequently raided by revenue agents. Junior spent one year in prison in Ohio for having an illegal still, although he was never caught in his many years of transporting bootleg liquor at high speed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Johnson