• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

South Carolina, tear down that flag!

@ jimbob

"I've got to question the motive of it, of why they
come after us? It's like they're trying to take one bad
thing from us, slavery, and they ignore the progress
that was made before the war. They try to make us
the villain. I've got a question: Is it just a hatred of
Southerners?"

In the decades prior to the War, what progress was made in the South in the matter of slavery? Did the number of slaves decline? Or expand? Did the freedom to criticise slavery become more generally accepted? Or was it more vigorously repressed? Did the conditions in which slaves worked become more benign? Did the South undertake to restrict, or did it strive to extend, the area in which slavery was practiced?

Your question was why I posted that. I was on a phone so couldn't expand, but yes - I would otherwise have posted "Apart from being the flag of an entity created to fight for the survival of a regime built on human misery, there were some good things, like some elegant houses built with the profits of that human misery..." Or is that too sarcastic?
 
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/nascar-hit-racism-sexism-claims

"Mauricia Grant, who worked as a 'technical inspector' on NASCAR's second-tier Nationwide Series, alleges that she was called a series of degrading names (such as 'Nappy Headed Mo,' 'Queen Sheba,' and 'Simpleton') and subjected to racist stereotypes, such as being told she worked 'on Colored People Time' if she arrived late. "
OK, I'm convinced. NASCAR is racist as are all "red necks" and southerners.

Better not go to a race, you might catch it............... :rolleyes:
 
OK, I'm convinced. NASCAR is racist as are all "red necks" and southerners.

Better not go to a race, you might catch it............... :rolleyes:

If I was so inclined, I'm sure I could dig up a couple tbk quotes slamming (rightly) the "all Muslims are terrorists" using the same logic he himself is using to come down on white southerners.
 
Dylan Roof also burned the American flag and posted pictures of himself burning our flag. So why aren't liberals calling for a ban on burning the flag? Why the selectivity? If the Confederate flag must be banned because Roof posed with it, why should we not also ban burning the American flag since Roof burned the American flag?

The Confederate flag is not a racist symbol any more than the American flag is a racist symbol. The KKK's usual flag of choice is the American flag, by the way, not the Confederate flag.

Boy, this is one confused post. You might want to think about it some more. Some points that you might want to start with: if the only problem with the "Confederate" flag is that Roof posed with it (I understand he worn a certain brand of shirt, yet protests against that brand of shirt haven't seemed to occur), if the change of laws really bans individuals from displaying the Confederate flag or only ends the State from doing so as an official government act (my understanding is that Federal and State governments seldom burn the USA flag, by the way), and if many countries allow the display of flags that celebrate a treasonous act against that country that resulted in millions of people dying.

Further, if your belief that the USA flag is equally racist as the Confederate flag, then wouldn't allowing people to burn the USA flag be consistent with a limitation against the display of the Confederate flag? Why do you see this as "liberal" inconsistency?

More generally, you may wish to investigate when and why the "Confederate" flag was revived as a symbol by the Southern States, and just what it was used to symbolize.

I still find amazing that there are people who believe, or claim to believe, that the "Confederate" flag is some symbol of "heritage" and not "hate." These people have simply been told a lie. The "Confederate" flag wasn't in use before the Civil War, it was not even in general use by the Confederacy during the Civil War, when it was used to lead treasonous battles against the USA government in an effort to keep human beings as slaves (yes, that was the State's right that was battled for), and became quite obscure and little used until it was revived as a symbol of the pro-segregation movement in the South in the 1950s and 1960s. I would be surprised if it symbolizes even 1% heritage vs. 99% hate. Even if there really was a real component of heritage to it, or a use, however misguided, to honor the Southern civil war dead, then why not find a better symbol of these honorable aspects, one that is not overwhelming identified with slavery and racism. If one wants to honor the Southerners who died in the Civil War, that seems fine to me, but then you are not honoring them by using a symbol of the discredited cause for which they fought. Honor them, not their mistaken cause. Unless you think that slavery and segregation were worth honoring.

The swastika symbolized, in part, the heritage of the invention of the compact and simple automobile, yet I don't see Volkswagen using it as a logo in their ads.
 
Last edited:
The source is the history of NASCAR.
That is neither a source nor evidence for rum runners using the Cofederate flag as a symbol. NASCAR came after Prohibition.

I suspect this is another myth used as post-hoc rationalization, but willing to see if you can support the claim.
 
That is neither a source nor evidence for rum runners using the Cofederate flag as a symbol. NASCAR came after Prohibition.

I suspect this is another myth used as post-hoc rationalization, but willing to see if you can support the claim.
I'm looking to see if you believe NASCAR fans are racists. Wasn't that claim where this started? Hate those goal posts?

I noticed you edited the question from my post. Not surprising.
 
Last edited:
OK, I'm convinced. NASCAR is racist as are all "red necks" and southerners.

Better not go to a race, you might catch it............... :rolleyes:

And the whole "Nascar is a sport for Rednecks in the South" is so out of date.
It's popular nationwide,and here in Califorinia Nascar fans tend to be middle class to Yuppie.
 
And the whole "Nascar is a sport for Rednecks in the South" is so out of date.
It's popular nationwide,and here in Califorinia Nascar fans tend to be middle class to Yuppie.
Not cheap either (a sour spot when it concerns race attendance). I'm at NHMS for 5 days camping(starting next Thursday) and I'm well over a G. Good times...........:)
 
Last edited:
I'm looking to see if you believe NASCAR fans are racists. Wasn't that claim where this started? Hate those goal posts?

I noticed you edited the question from my post. Not surprising.

Nope. That's not an argument anyone made. Did you want to erect any more straw men?
 
Sorry, I misunderstood you claiming that NASCAR had a disproportionate amount of racist fans and it was because of "rednecks". Maybe you can clarify.

Need me to quote your posts?

It wouldn't surprise me if there are more racists in the NASCAR fan base than in the general population.
 
What bothers me most is the attention to this flag and nothing about this article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...09fda0-271f-11e5-b72c-2b7d516e1e0e_story.html

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Yeah, you only linked to an article published by a major national newspaper, about what was only the top story on all major news networks' websites for much of the day yesterday and is still on the front page of many of them today. Absolutely no attention whatsoever.
 
Yeah, you only linked to an article published by a major national newspaper, about what was only the top story on all major news networks' websites for much of the day yesterday and is still on the front page of many of them today. Absolutely no attention whatsoever.
The administration response?
 
The attitude toward the South..and American Rural areas in general...we have seen displayed by some here is,sadly, pretty common among a certain class of self styled "intellectuals" (though I consider them to be more intellectual wannabes) on the left. It's one of total contempt,which reminds one of the attitude of the Party members in Orwell's "1984" toward The "Proles".
And it comes around to bite them in the butt come election time. It's giving massive amounts of free ammo to the political right.
What is really distressing is that they never learn from it. I guess feeling superior to people and that buzz you get from insulting others is more important then winning elections...
 
The attitude toward the South..and American Rural areas in general...we have seen displayed by some here is,sadly, pretty common among a certain class of self styled "intellectuals" (though I consider them to be more intellectual wannabes) on the left. It's one of total contempt,which reminds one of the attitude of the Party members in Orwell's "1984" toward The "Proles".
And it comes around to bite them in the butt come election time. It's giving massive amounts of free ammo to the political right.
What is really distressing is that they never learn from it. I guess feeling superior to people and that buzz you get from insulting others is more important then winning elections...

I spend a significant amount of time in rural areas and in the south. Racism is much more predominant there than in urban Areas.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom