• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Why are you all pretending?

The fact is that no one here really knows whether Brendy is mentally ill or not. He is a functioning human being. And he has found an anonymous outlet for his thoughts, and appears to enjoy it, as do the posters. I find his insights rather intriguing and fairly well written on the whole. So what if he is "posing", it just doesn't impact anyone else but him. Perhaps more time should be spent guiding him to places like "stopsylvia", to show him that others have similar beliefs.
That he has not commented on a video I posted earlier makes me wonder if perhaps that wasn't indeed he who made it. There cannot be that many Brendy's in Vermont. If so, it is a real insight.
 
You're right. I bet it is him. Here's the link for those who are interested. If so, he is certainly creative and multi talented. http://www.vimeo.com/674964

I hope he stays in touch. He has certainly inspired discussion. I'm interested in knowing more myself.
 
That certainly is a great video. Nice Pride parade too.

The man has a good eye. I hope he will do more with his talent.
 
I used to have sympathy for the mentally ill on this forum. I was so polite and so sweet, and even asked others to not be so harsh, just as dancing david is doing right now.

That's before George Simpson tried to sue me for suggesting that he get help. No good deed goes unpunished. I believe Locknar was also one of the Simpson 15. None of us that were involved with that fiasco will ever look at mentally ill trolls the same way ever again. Personally I will not bother with kid gloves, since the kid gloves got me no less sued the last time.

I learned a valuable lesson from those ET Corn Gods.
 
What became of that?

With paranoid people, everyone is "out to get them" or "trying to make them think they are crazy". I suspect there are multiple forum members who have such leanings.
 
Last edited:
What became of that?

With paranoid people, everyone is "out to get them" or "try to make them think they are crazy". I suspect there are multiple forum members who have such leanings.

George was unable to serve us, the named posters, properly because he was unable to find our Anti-Corn Clubhouse, so that part of his suit was dismissed by the judge. He continued with his suit against the JREF until the opponents in his many other lawsuits began discovering links to the JREF suit and its wild accusations, of which his opponents properly took full advantage. He dropped his suit against the JREF when it became too embarrassing, but it would not surprise me if we heard from George again some day.
 
You're still tossing around "schizophrenia" and "bi-polar" yourself, and your qualifications to offer diagnosis over a message board is that you've had friends with these diseases? (If that's the qualification you're after, I doubt anyone here is NOT qualified.)
But unlike me (and perhaps others), he's a expert...so its ok.

I have no problem with, for example, Bruto's post (above) making a case that Brendy is not a troll. His argument might even change my mind. However, that's not the same as saying it's inappropriate to discuss the possibility.
Well...while Bruto's post did not win me over (so to speak), I respect his opinion. In the end the unfalsifiable nature of all of Brendy's claims still have me convinced he's a troll. That said, if Brendy is truly sincerer then he should seek professional help (of course, last time I suggested this I and others were sued) as he won't get that here on a Internet forum.

I'd offer further comment, but I've already been labeled as "double shame full [sic]" for making unknown "bold claims", and/or being abusive, and do not want to risk further admonishment.

FWIW, I think the moderators do a fine job of moderating these days.
Hands down, 100% complete agreement...except for Lisa (who must be blamed) :)

PS - And yes, Lisa does a fine job too
 
Last edited:
That said, if Brendy is truly sincerer then he should seek professional help (of course, last time I suggested this I and others were sued) as he won't get that here on a Internet forum.

We are Children of the Corn, brother. :tinfoil
 
Right, and I thought you said it was shameful for anyone who is not a mental health care professional to argue about diagnoses.
I suppose that might be what it looks like, I was responding emotionally for sure, I was mainly pointing out that people who did not have a background were arguing on the sincerity of Brendy. And that others were being abusive. If you feel that i made the statement you attribute to me then i would be in error and I apologise.

Is 35million people, actually more like 70 million in the US who could potentialy exhibit psychosis enough that there is a good chance someone is sincere?
I believe I've pointed out that even a qualified professional has no business trying to treat someone via a message board.
I think you would have to strech my sattements rather far to get that I was trying to treat Brendy.
Did you not say the following?
And if you want I can PM you my history, it is one the board and some here on this thread. Or we can discuss it here if you wish.
You're still tossing around "schizophrenia" and "bi-polar" yourself, and your qualifications to offer diagnosis over a message board is that you've had friends with these diseases? (If that's the qualification you're after, I doubt anyone here is NOT qualified.)
Um, I also can tell you my history, I mentioned four possible illness that could potentially cause the symtoms Brendy is allegedly presenting, and some others. I did noy say "you are faking a text book case of schizophrenia", did I?
Didn't you also say the following?
It is here on the JREF and in this thread, I will discuss it here if you wish, or in a PM
I've pretty much stated in every post that this forum is not an appropriate place for someone to turn to for mental health advice. It's a skeptic's forum.
It is a good place to discuss things however, not to get expert or even accurate advice.
I don't see how it's inappropriate for people to discuss possible explanations for Brendy's very strange posts. I've clumped them into three groups (mental illness, troll, or paranormal phenomena), and I think all three would be valid for discussion on this forum. Who are you to say any of them aren't legitimate?
When there is a significant number of people (70 million in the USA) at a minimum who could exhibit the presentation Brendy was giving, how appropriate is it for people to guess that they are faking it?
I have no problem with, for example, Bruto's post (above) making a case that Brendy is not a troll. His argument might even change my mind. However, that's not the same as saying it's inappropriate to discuss the possibility.



Fair enough. I think the mocking and abuse is to be expected. It's an anonymous forum. Anyone can join for the price of an e-mail address. Brendy's OP was really bizarre.
Not that bizarre, when you consider the millions of people who have those kinds of experiences, it is POV I guess, but for you bizarre)
Even the thread title is strange--and accuses everyone here of being in a conspiracy or something. I'd be surprised if Brendy didn't expect to get some mocking and abuse--even if he is being completely sincere.

FWIW, I think the moderators do a fine job of moderating these days.

They have the whole time I have been here.
 
Last edited:
But unlike me (and perhaps others), he's a expert...so its ok.
Locknar, I don't recall acting like you did , so perhaps you can show me the posts where I did? Where did I argue about diagnosis or abuse Brendy?

I am sorry if you got sued by some whacko, that would be a bitter drink in deed.
Well...while Bruto's post did not win me over (so to speak), I respect his opinion. In the end the unfalsifiable nature of all of Brendy's claims still have me convinced he's a troll.
Have you met lots of the millions of people who have a psychotic disorder? The unfalsifiable claims abound and so I don't see that as a criteria?


Stop Blaming Lisa! :grrrr:

:D
 
All this hand wringing about Brendy's mental health has passed the point of being funny. The guy wanted a little attention and he created a bizarre post on our site and -- KA-CHING! He has at this point eight pages worth of posts all about him and his ideas. I thought I hit a home run when a post about kneeling/not kneeling at Catholic services hit three pages. This is eight pages all about him. It's the high point of his day when sits at his computer and reads what people are saying here about him. That's not to be confused about what the people are whispering about him on the back of the bus and when he walks by them on the street. That talk about him is an entirely different matter.

articulett said:With paranoid people, everyone is "out to get them" or "trying to make them think they are crazy". I suspect there are multiple forum members who have such leanings.

My lawyers and I have been waiting for someone to come out and be willing to name names. Please stay at home today. The subpeana guy is on his way. You will make a great witness if you wear that little black dress ;)
 
I'd have to say troll at this point; to many things that don't make sense (to paraphrase Brendy):

- I'm a skeptic, but I'm being telepathically controlled
- Friends, family, etc. can use my body as their own except when I don’t allow it
- Friends, family, etc. can read my mind, but I can fool them (ie. lie) and keep secrets
- I could prove telepathy is real, but I don’t want to
- Textbook symptoms of schizophrenia
- Far too many “self answering” questions/issues:
-- I’ve seen doctors, they didn't/can’t help me
-- Stories/situations that cannot (and will not) be proven…such as post #109

All in all, very Mayday like with all the contradictions and "self answering" items.

Locknar, here is what I was referencing as bold claims, i was way over the top and very judgemental and rude.

However if you hung out with many people with psychotic disorders you would find that they all pretty much can act this way (and oh so much more), so I don't see how this would show that they are a troll or faking it.
 
All this hand wringing about Brendy's mental health has passed the point of being funny. The guy wanted a little attention and he created a bizarre post on our site and -- KA-CHING! He has at this point eight pages worth of posts all about him and his ideas. I thought I hit a home run when a post about kneeling/not kneeling at Catholic services hit three pages. This is eight pages all about him. It's the high point of his day when sits at his computer and reads what people are saying here about him. That's not to be confused about what the people are whispering about him on the back of the bus and when he walks by them on the street. That talk about him is an entirely different matter.



My lawyers and I have been waiting for someone to come out and be willing to name names. Please stay at home today. The subpeana guy is on his way. You will make a great witness if you wear that little black dress ;)

Subpoena-- you forgot the O... it counts against you. I'm a nudist.
 
I don't know and don't really care if Brendy is a troll or not, but I find it curious that his possible legitimacy is because he demonstrates classic, text-book symptoms.

If one of us was wanting to play a game here; posing as bi-polar, or worse, we'd likely look up the text-book for tips on how to behave.

Deception can run so deep sometimes, it ought to be its own mental illness, instead of just good advertizing strategy.

not to be overly ironic,
but trolls need help as much as the next nut-case.
 
Smell hallucinations are common with a particular type of seizure... this really sound neurological... and having smell hallucinations might help them figure things out.

http://personal.ecu.edu/wuenschk/parosmia.htm
http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/smell-hallucinations.html
http://www.psychtreatment.com/schizophrenia_symptoms_hallucinations.htm
http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sym/hallucinations.htm

Here's an an excellent video from TEDtalks (18 minutes) that you might find interesting.
ttp://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/229

The youtube video was good. I think about 1 in 100 people have schizophrenia-- and it can come and go and there are some new medications that don't have the side effects of the older ones.

http://www.schizophrenia.com/sznews/archives/005992.html

It sounds hellish. Let us know how things go. You can teach us how to recognize and respond to other people who are experiencing what you are experiencing.

I've decided to have another EEG done and to see a neurologist. My first EEG was a little abnormal and they wanted me to get it checked out further, but I never saw a neurologist about it because I never heard voices back when it was done and I was reletively fine.

My dad is a doctor and he gave me a book about someone's struggle with schizophrenia. It really has convinced me its not real.

The reason I didn't talk to my dad about my delusions is because his voice was in my head. It wasn't a nice voice. I told them everything now. I faked getting better so I'd get out of the rehab place. I felt like I was in jail.


It is so weird having conversations with the voices now that I don't believe that they are other people. I questioned whether they were other people at first, but eventually I was convinced.

I still don't completely control my brain though. I'm not consciously doing these voices and hallucinations. So I don't really consider that "I" am doing it. I'm really gonna work on trying to control what the voices say.

It's not like I just believed this stuff without proof. It was proven to me several times. But I understand now that the proof was my mind playing tricks on me.

Now I feel really bad about cutting contact from lots of people in my life. My relationship with my parents really went to hell. I really resented them harrassing me in my head then pretending to care out loud.

The problem with just having someone with this sort of illness just go see a doctor is that I heard the doctors' voices in my head as they were talking to me. I couldn't trust what they were saying outloud.

I think hearing a person who went through they same thing is the best way to help someone like this. Whether it be a book or in person.


It's funny that you guys caught me in this transition period. I think this thread, amoung other things, really helped.

I hope you all understand now that I truely believed what I said in the OP. I didn't lie once. Now enough with the troll stuff. You wanted me to give proof of the telepathy. Now where is your proof that i'm a troll. You believe it without proof. Be careful you might have "Obsessive Compulsive Troll Accusing Disorder".
 
I wish I could edit my OP because I would ask people to either read my last posts in this thread or not read it at all because they will get the wrong impression of me.
 
It's the high point of his day when sits at his computer and reads what people are saying here about him.

Really? Where'd you get this information? What's your proof? Aren't you a skeptic, don't you need proof? Aren't you trying to just start something with me by sayin that? That would make you the troll.

For your information my whole day is ****ing hell. There is no high point.

You don't care about that. And I don't care about you.
 
Hi Brendy,

I am happy that you are at least putting an effort to address the problem. It might take a little time to find theirght medications but I assure you, eventually it will. Take the medications prescribed by the doctor. If it is causing problems like lethurgic feelings, talk to you doctor about it so that the dosage can be adjusted.

Brendy said:
My dad is a doctor and he gave me a book about someone's struggle with schizophrenia. It really has convinced me its not real.

The reason I didn't talk to my dad about my delusions is because his voice was in my head. It wasn't a nice voice. I told them everything now. I faked getting better so I'd get out of the rehab place. I felt like I was in jail.

It is wonderful that you have a father who understands what you are going through. Discuss what you feel with him.

Brendy said:
I think hearing a person who went through they same thing is the best way to help someone like this. Whether it be a book or in person.

You are quite right. It is difficult for a person who did not experience what you went through to understand what you feel.

Brendy said:
It's funny that you guys caught me in this transition period. I think this thread, amoung other things, really helped.

Words of advice and comfort does not cost a single cent. Words that hurt that are directed to a person who is really suffering from mental illness is dangerous as it might push that person to the edge.

I hope you all understand now that I truely believed what I said in the OP. I didn't lie once
Your opening post was a complete giveaway. Your words basically means "I don't have mental ilness so do not give me links to respiredal. Just get out of my head". Delusion and denial. I do not believe that a person would put an effort to understand the illness just so he could annoy people.

Don't worry, the more you examine the illness, the more insight you develop.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom