• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Why are you all pretending?

It seems like a kind of bind here. Depending on who you listen to, you shouldn't be flippant, for fear of hurting a person with an illness, you shouldn't try to diagnose for fear of doing it wrong, but you shouldn't just ignore them, and you shouldn't go after them for trolling, and you shouldn't.....well, what should you do? Tell him to get help? Seems like not much.
 
Mental health professionals are often more proud than their track record should allow.

The idea that there is help available to our disconnected brothers is 1/2 liberal fantasy.
Heady stuff, if you're a shrink...make good money doing good work.
Meanwhile,
We get crazier everyday, as a suppossedly sane collective of compassionate humans.

(I'm still a bit pissed that a shrink's hour is 50 minutes, and the messed up folks in the waiting room have to work a full hour for their hour's pay. )

More shrinks for more mental health!
More lawyers for more justice!
More cops for more freedom!

Meanwhile, we remain embarrassed to address the underlying mess we've created.
We've created and reinforced an unethical social stratification.
All the crappy pills in the world won't fix it, or even slow it down.

How do we return sanity to the vets returning from Iraq and Afghanistan, for instance?
Convince them that they are heroes? That killing is ok? That it was a righteous cause?

There is systemic insanity that needs to be addressed.
 
Well, I was gonna let the thread die, but so many more people responded, so I'll respond too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm8rwT4UWUc

This man had a very similar experience to me.

Similarities: Normal to Ill, belief in telepathy, mind control, voices, remote influencing, smells, optical illusions.
I was also forced into a hospital by my parents. Though I technically checked myself in. The voices also wake me from my sleep and keep me awake when I'm trying to go to sleep. Also that the medication didn't stop the voices.

The "physical sensations and things I can't explain" he mentioned really got to me because that was what really made me believe in telepathy.

(the smell hallucinations are some of the worst things. Very strong pungunt smells where there are none. Only has happened a few times.)

Differences:
The Age when it happened.
I've never believed in any telekinesis.
Six months has gone and passed like 8 months ago.

I have pm'd him on you tube, hoping he could elaborate with me on what he felt and experienced during this six months. I think talking to someone like him could really help me. Somehow it could force me to see that it's not real.

Just over the past day I have accepted the possibity of an illness. I don't mean to sound condensending, but you just CAN'T know what's going on in my head. I think this guy who made this video can because he went through a similar thing.

Of course a random stranger on the internet really isnt where I should be seeking a confidant. But it's anonymous and easy, and I like that.




I deleted my response to all the troll talk here. I'm just gonna ignore all that.


btw, Did you like that guy's math? 1/3 are really ill, but 1/2 are normal? 1/3+1/2=1?
 
Last edited:
Thanks for defending me people, but I'm not an easily offended type. I'm a joker, and like a little ribing.

In fact the reason I'm on this internet forum is that the typing really focuses my mind so I really don't hear anything else but my own words (at least I think they are mine :) ).


So if you don't like me or what I say, don't read my posts.
 
Smell hallucinations are common with a particular type of seizure... this really sound neurological... and having smell hallucinations might help them figure things out.

http://personal.ecu.edu/wuenschk/parosmia.htm
http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/smell-hallucinations.html
http://www.psychtreatment.com/schizophrenia_symptoms_hallucinations.htm
http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sym/hallucinations.htm

Here's an an excellent video from TEDtalks (18 minutes) that you might find interesting.
ttp://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/229

The youtube video was good. I think about 1 in 100 people have schizophrenia-- and it can come and go and there are some new medications that don't have the side effects of the older ones.

http://www.schizophrenia.com/sznews/archives/005992.html

It sounds hellish. Let us know how things go. You can teach us how to recognize and respond to other people who are experiencing what you are experiencing.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for defending me people, but I'm not an easily offended type. I'm a joker, and like a little ribing.

In fact the reason I'm on this internet forum is that the typing really focuses my mind so I really don't hear anything else but my own words (at least I think they are mine :) ).


So if you don't like me or what I say, don't read my posts.
I'm glad you can handle it, and that this discussion helps you to focus. I think you can be sure what you are typing are your own words. After all, if someone were controlling you, they would probably not want you to do this.

I seem to recall an account of the mathematician John Nash's long battle with schizophrenia, in which he noted that one of the ways he had managed to overcome it (not necessarily to be cured of it) was the realization that he could say no to the voices in his head.
 
The video was good and I hope that guy PMs back. You're right, talking to someone like him who has gone through something similar and still attributes it to brain dysfunction is probably going to be a lot more helpful than talking to people who haven't experienced it. Hope you'll keep us posted.
 
It seems like a kind of bind here. Depending on who you listen to, you shouldn't be flippant, for fear of hurting a person with an illness, you shouldn't try to diagnose for fear of doing it wrong, but you shouldn't just ignore them, and you shouldn't go after them for trolling, and you shouldn't.....well, what should you do? Tell him to get help? Seems like not much.

We're also supposed to feel ashamed.

Yep, definitely feel ashamed, even though Brendy doesn't seem at all hurt by the jokes made at his expense.

Even though the forum section is "general skepticism and the paranormal" we should be ashamed for doubting this person's sincerity.

We could all put "seek professional help" at the end of every post, but Brendy claims to have already done that as much as he will. We could suggest ways to test some of his claims, but he's already said that there is nothing that could possibly change his mind about these things.

Kitten pictures are against the new policies, so. . as Bruto says, how should we respond?
 
No, especially when they are from a city two hours from here!

Um, so platitudes are evidence of people's motivations and behaviors?

If these straw men help keep you company, go for it and build a couple more. Soon you will have enough for a game a Bridge.
 
We're also supposed to feel ashamed.

Yep, definitely feel ashamed, even though Brendy doesn't seem at all hurt by the jokes made at his expense.
Uh , huh. I did not say that 100% should aknowledge they were abusive. If somebody had come here and recieved that treatment and then ended up in the ER after a suicide attempt (low probability) then i stiil would not applaud abusive behavior.

If someone is a troll and dishes out abuse, you give to them in return. But to be sceptical of potential psychotic behavior when 1% of the population has schizophrenia and 1-5% of the population has bipolar disorder?

What evidence was there that Brendy was faking, none, justa ncedotal evidence from other situations?

Not you. I don't don't recall if you were abusive to Brendy.
Even though the forum section is "general skepticism and the paranormal" we should be ashamed for doubting this person's sincerity.
And what was the nature of the evidence?
 
You should, as I presume someone has suggested already, apply for Randi's Million Dollar challange.

Just make one simple claim about what you can do, hammer out some protocols w/ the JREF and start buying fur coats and pimp canes.

Good luck

Oh, I don't believe you or anyone else have telepathic powers and I am not pretending either...sorry man.
 
Uh , huh. I did not say that 100% should aknowledge they were abusive. If somebody had come here and recieved that treatment and then ended up in the ER after a suicide attempt (low probability) then i stiil would not applaud abusive behavior.

If someone is a troll and dishes out abuse, you give to them in return. But to be sceptical of potential psychotic behavior when 1% of the population has schizophrenia and 1-5% of the population has bipolar disorder?

What evidence was there that Brendy was faking, none, justa ncedotal evidence from other situations?

Just because you live in Illinois and are clueless about how to teleport your butt elseware does not give you reason to suggest how people who live in real cities should behave. Who made you king of the 1-5% of the population? Where were you when no one answered my cries for teleportation need?

Take your pill my friend ;)
 
And what was the nature of the evidence?
What evidence is there to support anything Brendy claimed?

My response has been the same--either he's in need of serious help, or he's pulling our collective leg, or he's run across a hitherto unknown and amazing phenomenon.

Of the three, I think the second is most likely. If it's the first, he's in the wrong place. Neither you nor anyone else can dispense therapy (or drugs) via a skeptical message board.

If he's upset by the skeptical response he gets from members of a skeptical forum (which it seems he's not in the least), then he should probably find a more accepting crowd to tell his story to.

Again, part of the reason I think he's not sincere is that he doesn't seem to be getting upset by the ribbing and the fact that no one takes his story at face value (the third option I listed above).

I'd be happy to address his story as if he were completely sincere, but he's pretty much ruled out the two lines of discussion I could see: testing his claims or getting help.
 
Just because you live in Illinois and are clueless about how to teleport your butt elseware does not give you reason to suggest how people who live in real cities should behave. Who made you king of the 1-5% of the population? Where were you when no one answered my cries for teleportation need?

Take your pill my friend ;)


I do , every day before I go to bed. It keeps certain things in a managable state, especially irritability, anxiety and obsessions.

:)
 
Last edited:
What evidence is there to support anything Brendy claimed?
Having known friends who developed schizophrenia, bipolar and depression,(and worked with many others) it is not what Brendy claimed that is reasonable, it is however reasonable presentation of a mental illness.
My response has been the same--either he's in need of serious help, or he's pulling our collective leg, or he's run across a hitherto unknown and amazing phenomenon.

Of the three, I think the second is most likely. If it's the first, he's in the wrong place. Neither you nor anyone else can dispense therapy (or drugs) via a skeptical message board.
True but the abuse while most likely exagerated by me is still not appropriate, when I look at the behavior of certain trolls of the past and today, Brendy was not doing the usual name calling and taunting that I usually see. So I didn't think abuse was appropriate. I also didn't call on the most abusive because I know what that response would likely be.
If he's upset by the skeptical response he gets from members of a skeptical forum (which it seems he's not in the least), then he should probably find a more accepting crowd to tell his story to.
Here is the deal, having a mental illness does not mean that you sudenlly loose all your other faculties and rational discussion might be able (very unlikely) to change someones mind.
Again, part of the reason I think he's not sincere is that he doesn't seem to be getting upset by the ribbing and the fact that no one takes his story at face value (the third option I listed above).

I'd be happy to address his story as if he were completely sincere, but he's pretty much ruled out the two lines of discussion I could see: testing his claims or getting help.

I am not saying that, my asking for evidence is for the people who were saying that Brendy was faking symptoms or that Brendy was here to drain energy off of people.

People should feel free to discuss issues, how ever being abusive is not funny, fighting about diagnosis and the potential for faking diagnosis is not appropriate given the limited nature of the evidence.

So that is what I should have stated more clearly, I apologise.
 
Last edited:
Again, part of the reason I think he's not sincere is that he doesn't seem to be getting upset by the ribbing and the fact that no one takes his story at face value (the third option I listed above).
Oddly enough, that's one of the reasons I suspect that he is sincere. Just guessing, of course, but I think if he were a fake, he'd make a point of faking offense too.
 
Having known friends who developed schizophrenia, bipolar and depression,(and worked with many others) it is not what Brendy claimed that is reasonable, it is however reasonable presentation of a mental illness.
Right, and I thought you said it was shameful for anyone who is not a mental health care professional to argue about diagnoses.

I believe I've pointed out that even a qualified professional has no business trying to treat someone via a message board.

Did you not say the following?

MOST OF YOU DON'T KNOW SQUAT ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH BUT YOU THINK YOURSELVES QUALIFIED TO MAKE DIAGNOSIS BASED UPON A LIMITED NUMBER OF POSTS!!!
You're still tossing around "schizophrenia" and "bi-polar" yourself, and your qualifications to offer diagnosis over a message board is that you've had friends with these diseases? (If that's the qualification you're after, I doubt anyone here is NOT qualified.)

Didn't you also say the following?
Not only are many of you behaving in a harmful destructive fashion but you are talking out of your rectums about something you know little to nothing about.

Lets us have a show of hands shall we:

Who here has actually worked with people living with a mental illness?
Who here has had training on how to do assesment and use the DSMIV-R?
Who here has done multiple assesments and worked with real live people.

I've pretty much stated in every post that this forum is not an appropriate place for someone to turn to for mental health advice. It's a skeptic's forum.

I don't see how it's inappropriate for people to discuss possible explanations for Brendy's very strange posts. I've clumped them into three groups (mental illness, troll, or paranormal phenomena), and I think all three would be valid for discussion on this forum. Who are you to say any of them aren't legitimate?

I have no problem with, for example, Bruto's post (above) making a case that Brendy is not a troll. His argument might even change my mind. However, that's not the same as saying it's inappropriate to discuss the possibility.


People should feel free to discuss issues, how ever being abusive is not funny, fighting about diagnosis and the potential for faking diagnosis is not appropriate given the limited nature of the evidence.

So that is what I should have stated more clearly, I apologise.
Fair enough. I think the mocking and abuse is to be expected. It's an anonymous forum. Anyone can join for the price of an e-mail address. Brendy's OP was really bizarre. Even the thread title is strange--and accuses everyone here of being in a conspiracy or something. I'd be surprised if Brendy didn't expect to get some mocking and abuse--even if he is being completely sincere.

FWIW, I think the moderators do a fine job of moderating these days.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom