• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

What IS an "elitist"

What a coincidence. I used the term right here on these forums just yesterday.

What is an elitist? I give you Exhibit A (emphasis added):
I take that example more as an intellectualist; perhaps a spin-off of an elitist. I don't mind intellectualists...I'd say more than half of us here are.

An elitist as I think of it is the type who thinks better of himself because of his social class, whether attained (through education, for example) or born into.
 
I take that example more as an intellectualist; perhaps a spin-off of an elitist. I don't mind intellectualists...I'd say more than half of us here are.

An elitist as I think of it is the type who thinks better of himself because of his social class, whether attained (through education, for example) or born into.

No, that's pretty much the definition of elitist. Suggesting there's a concept that the general population won't get, not because it's too technical (Condenser Coil design), too obscure (fine points of the Infield Fly rule), or too much background is required (mathematics necessary to prove Fermat's Last Theorem) but because the general population is just so stupid that of course they'd get drawn in, while the 'elite' poster obviously wasn't.

Yeah, pretty elitist.
 
No, that's pretty much the definition of elitist. Suggesting there's a concept that the general population won't get, not because it's too technical (Condenser Coil design), too obscure (fine points of the Infield Fly rule), or too much background is required (mathematics necessary to prove Fermat's Last Theorem) but because the general population is just so stupid that of course they'd get drawn in, while the 'elite' poster obviously wasn't.

Yeah, pretty elitist.
Well, it may fit the definition, but it's not the definition. Semantics aside, that's OK, I'll go with that. So I guess I see elitism in over 50% of us here, myself included, if not to the same degree.
 
Last edited:
I think the most interesting aspect of the usage of the word elitist as a pejorative, is that the person using it almost always (unjustifiably) feels superior to the person they are "insulting".

[checks CV] Hmmm... grammar school, Oxford University, D. Phil, professional occupation...

The old Oxford D. Phil makes you a snob, not an elitist. Can't lower yourself to the old Ph.D. moniker like the rest of us. I guess anything from the colonies just doesn't sit right with you Oxfordites. :)

Being a fan of one of the loveliest sports cars ever, I suppose I am an Elitist.
If that is the definition, I too am guilty.

Daredelvis
 
Anybody who thinks he is better than me is an elitist.

Of course I am not an elitist, even though I think I'm better than some people. Funny how that works.
 
For anyone who's ever used that term, and believe me I'll be using the forum search function and calling you out.

What is an "elitist"?

Hello, Dr Adequate. I don't know what, politically, an elitist is, because I've never considered elitists as Republicans, Democrats, Communists, Libertarians, Space Invaders, or whatever. To me, an elitist is more about classism. An elitist is a person of privilege, perhaps highly educated, although I wouldn't say that education smacks of intelligence necessarily, bred to believe that the masses are too ignorant to know "what is best" for themselves. An elitist is someone who is obviously power driven, and uses the ignorant masses as a tool, basically, to hold onto or achieve that power.

An elitist is someone so far removed from the common man that it is beyond them, really, why things such as poverty exist, and so they mistakenly believe that it can somehow be prettied up and made an acceptable part of their "society" by virtue of being a pet project. No real solutions, because an elitist doesn't really care about the plight of those in poverty.

An elitist is a do as I say not as I do kind of person, because an elitist doesn't believe that the masses could do as he or she does, anyway...because they aren't bright enough, motivated enough, capable enough, driven enough, blah blah blickety blah. Therefore, the masses should be immensely pleased by having scraps thrown at them...because that means they are loved by the great ones.

In discussions with Rolfe and some others, actually, a prime example of the elitist attitude exists in healthcare. So...it is an attitude. An "oh, they don't deserve it so we'll throw them enough scraps to barely keep them alive because that makes us look nice" mentality. It isn't about money. It is about privilege. I think anyway.
 
Yes, the right uses Elitist as a smear against Liberals in general. But then at times certain...by no means all...Liberals give the right plenty of ammunition.
The bitter fact is some Left Wing activists,probably because they have been to college do have a consedcending attitude toward..for lack of a better word...the "Common Man". I have seen this in person myself.
And this is why is a reason why the Left was in the political wilderness for so many years:a number of activists managed to offend the very people they were trying to win over.
And that lot of people on the Left pretended this problem did not exist was one of the greatest advantages the Right had.
Of course the Right has it own problems: A sort of inverse Elitism in which "The Real Americans" are protrayed are being a all wise, all knowing group, and anybody with an education is held in comtempt..unless it is from a Fundy Christian University.
Both are equally objectionable IMHO.
 
I think he nailed the issue. Must be our confirmation biases kicking in.

Daredelvis


Funny how people with confirmation biases are so quick to accuse others of that crime.
And are you denying that such a thing as an Eltistist "we know better then all those proles" attitude among some Left Wing activists exist?
 
I think he nailed the issue. Must be our confirmation biases kicking in.

Daredelvis

Funny how people with confirmation biases are so quick to accuse others of that crime.
And are you denying that such a thing as an Eltistist "we know better then all those proles" attitude among some Left Wing activists exist?
Note the word "our" in my post.

Daredelvis
 
From Wikipedia:
Elitism is the belief or attitude that those individuals who are considered members of the elite—a select group of people with outstanding personal abilities, intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributes—are those whose views on a matter are to be taken the most seriously or carry the most weight or those who view their own views as so; whose views and/or actions are most likely to be constructive to society as a whole; or whose extraordinary skills, abilities or wisdom render them especially fit to govern.[1] Alternatively, the term elitism may be used to describe a situation in which power is concentrated in the hands of the elite. Those opposed to elitism are considered supporters of anti-elitism, populism or the political theory of pluralism. Elite theory is the sociological or political science analysis of elite influence in society - elite theorists regard pluralism as a utopian ideal.

Elitism may also refer to situations in which an elite individual assumes special privileges and responsibilities in the hope that this arrangement will benefit humanity or themselves. At times, elitism is closely related to social class and what sociologists call social stratification. Members of the upper classes are sometimes, though inaccurately, known as the social elite. The term elitism is also sometimes used to denote situations in which a group of people claiming to possess high abilities or simply an in-group or cadre grant themselves extra privileges at the expense of others. This form of elitism may be described as discrimination. Such elitism has social psychological consequences

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elitism
 
I don't know if I've used the term or not; it's not one of my more common bits of rhetoric.

As used by conservatives in America, it means a person who thinks they know better than you do how to live your life. But there is an added component; they do so from a lofty perch which makes it clear that they have little understanding of what your life is like. Perhaps the classic example was Barbra Streisand exhorting everybody to save energy by using a clothesline rather than a dryer. The next person to think la Streisand herself (or even her maid staff) uses a clothesline will be the first. Note that the element of hypocrisy isn't required; "Let them eat cake," is not hypocritical, but it is definitely elitist.
 
Yes, the right uses Elitist as a smear against Liberals in general. But then at times certain...by no means all...Liberals give the right plenty of ammunition.
The bitter fact is some Left Wing activists,probably because they have been to college do have a consedcending attitude toward..for lack of a better word...the "Common Man". I have seen this in person myself.

Remember the book, What's the Matter with Kansas? Its premise was basically "why are all these hicks voting for the Republicans when their economic interests lie with the Democrats?" Classic elitism.
 
My opinion on the subject: An elitist is someone who believes that there are a minority of people, "the elite", who are superior to the majority in a meaningful way such that they should or do behave differently and stand apart, and that this is a good thing.
Me and much of my family have some elitist attitudes with respect to intellect and rational thinking -- Jefferson's "natural aristocracy" rings true to us.
 
My personal definition is someone who thinks they're better than everybody else because of some mispercieved "special" circumstance, such as having a higher education, or believing in a superior being such as God.

However, it takes a bit different twist in Mmorgs such as World Of Warcraft. In these cgs, an elitist is someone who thinks they're better than everybody else because they have all the best gear that makes them undefeatable by other players.
 
I Think Newtons Bit nailed on the head, that it is a feeling that the class that one belongs to has some specific attribute that makes them the only ones fit to govern, because the masses, lacking whatever that attribute is, simply don't have the capacity to govern.

Historically this has been expressed as things such as Divine Right and Noblese Oblige. Also, since those in power, tend to argue that they deserve to remain in power because they posess whatever that trait the current form of elitism takes, it has been traditionally seen as a conservative position because it argues in favor of maintaining the status quo.

However, recently (ie this last century), a new form of elitism has emerged that claimed a certain class that is not currently in power actually has the trait needed to govern properly and further claims that the problems the people face are due to the wrong class being in power. Because this form promotes change it would be considered liberal elitism. The most prevelant variant of this is intellectual elitism (although this form is also integral to most CT's)

I think in the US the conservative use of 'elitist' as a smear against thier opponents began as a legitimate criticism of many liberal leaders who had nothing in common with the disenfrachised they purportedly represented and in fact had just as much, if not more, disdain for the ability of the masses to govern themselves than the conservative elite ever had. Unfortunately, this has morphed into a blanket accusation against anybody who supports a liberal agenda so as to become a meaningless smear.

The result: Conservatives who support George Bush, who fits the classic definition to a tee, have no problem labeling a bi-racial, 1st generation American an elitist simply because he got his higher education at Harvard, rather than a much more everyman's school (like Yale).
 
Oooh !! You sound so angry. Are you going to want to "throw chigasos" when you call them out.

The word is spelled "chingasos" with an "n".

If you are going to use Hispanic slang, please spell it right.

You also want to get the accent right too. The slang term looses alot of it's effect when spoken with a Caucasian/American accent.


:)
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom