• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

What IS an "elitist"

Dr Adequate

Banned
Joined
Aug 31, 2004
Messages
17,766
For anyone who's ever used that term, and believe me I'll be using the forum search function and calling you out.

What is an "elitist"?
 
It's the current US conservative slang for "left wing snob" isn't it? Or maybe as a sexist is one who promotes discrimination based on sex, and a racist promotes discrimination baced on race, an elitist promotes discrimination based on space based trading games from the 1980's.
 
For anyone who's ever used that term, and believe me I'll be using the forum search function and calling you out.

What is an "elitist"?

Oooh !! You sound so angry. Are you going to want to "throw chigasos" when you call them out.

I doubt if I have ever used that phrase but to me it means someone who thinks their opinion carries more weight then others either because of financial status or supposed intelligence. Today it usually is used to refer to rich liberals.
 
Since I've used it once in my thousands of posts, I figure I'll give you an explanation.

When I used it, I was sarcastically referring to a poster's position (stolen from Heinlein) that the grand majority of people (in that instance, in the US), were stupid, ignorant, and were easily distracted by 'low' entertainment. And that these horrible masses would eventually destroy democracy, until (it was implied) the 'strong few' would have to rescue the rest of the United States from the 'teeming masses.'

It's always been a retarded position, as much as I enjoy much of Heinlein's work.
 
I want you to know that I do not shun controversy. You have asked me how I feel about the 'elitist'. All right, here is what I feel about this issue.

If by elitist you mean the rich fop, the upper-class twit, the snob, the little lord fauntleroy, the ineffectual dreamer, the artist manque, or indeed the proto-fascist, the authoritarian personality, the genuflector before dictators, the mandarin with the long fingernails, or worst, the annoying hipster who sneers at the music you like, then indeed, I am certainly against her.

If by elitist you mean the strong individual, the discerning gentleman, the fellow with the cool, clear eyes of a seeker of wisdom and truth, the man who seeks the best in others and asks only the best of himself, the hero whose natural boldness and brilliance puts him head and shoulders above the pack, then I am for him.

This is my position on elitism. I will not compromise.

Soggy
 
It's the current US conservative slang for "left wing snob" isn't it?

Are you suggesting that no one who is left of center can't see someone on the left in the same light? If so, you make a prime example.

However, I feel you are joking.
 
I want you to know that I do not shun controversy. You have asked me how I feel about the 'elitist'. All right, here is what I feel about this issue.

If by elitist you mean the rich fop, the upper-class twit, the snob, the little lord fauntleroy, the ineffectual dreamer, the artist manque, or indeed the proto-fascist, the authoritarian personality, the genuflector before dictators, the mandarin with the long fingernails, or worst, the annoying hipster who sneers at the music you like, then indeed, I am certainly against her.

If by elitist you mean the strong individual, the discerning gentleman, the fellow with the cool, clear eyes of a seeker of wisdom and truth, the man who seeks the best in others and asks only the best of himself, the hero whose natural boldness and brilliance puts him head and shoulders above the pack, then I am for him.

This is my position on elitism. I will not compromise.

Soggy

Sorry, elitist is an attitude towards others. Definition fail. Oh yeah, and one of the best If-By-Whiskey's I've ever seen in my entire life. And that's saying something.
 
Are you suggesting that no one who is left of center can't see someone on the left in the same light? If so, you make a prime example.

However, I feel you are joking.


No - am not suggesting that at all, but I suspect that when a (US) leftie makes the same observation they will use terms other than "elitist" given that using the term is associated with the right. These shibboleths tend to be self-reinforcing.

In the UK the accusation of "elitistism" is associated with the left, those on the right will sometimes make the same criticisms but they use different language.
 
It's the current US conservative slang for "left wing snob" isn't it? Or maybe as a sexist is one who promotes discrimination based on sex, and a racist promotes discrimination baced on race, an elitist promotes discrimination based on space based trading games from the 1980's.
I think "over educated snob" might fit as a general descriptor. Elitists come in a lot of shapes and sizes.
 
The term elitist comes from classism. An elitist is a person who believes that their particular class is better than the "unwashed masses". One obvious example are some folks with Ivy-league educations who feel that they, by the benefit of their education, automatically know better than anyone who does not have an Ivy-league education. In this case, their "class" is people with Ivy-league educations.
 
What is an "elitist"?

[checks CV] Hmmm... grammar school, Oxford University, D. Phil, professional occupation...

I think it's probably me. Except that I've never voted Conservative.

Seriously, though, is elitism seen as the province of the left in the USA? Because, on this side of the pond, I think it's pretty well inextricably associated with the right.

Dave
 
An elitist, in modern American political discourse, is a figment of the conservative imagination used to rally the the rank and file.
 
[checks CV] Hmmm... grammar school, Oxford University, D. Phil, professional occupation...

I think it's probably me. Except that I've never voted Conservative.

Seriously, though, is elitism seen as the province of the left in the USA? Because, on this side of the pond, I think it's pretty well inextricably associated with the right.

Dave

Judging by your behavior on the CT forums, you're not an elitist: you patiently explain concepts to the truthers. If you were an elitist, you would use appeals to authority to quell questions from truthers.

Conservatives in the UK are the "old guard". They're descended from nobility or the gentile class, or at least admire such classes and behaviors. They're elitist in that fashion. There is some of that type of elitism in the USA: people descended from old money, belong to yacht clubs and look down their noses at those who are not. However it doesn't belong to one specific political ideology.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom