Barbrae said:
You know I have saidn many times I think conventional medicine is necessary, in fact that I am grateful for it's advances. But I am also VERYaware that it is a practice that it FAR from perfect. Now, you guys give lip service to that fact - I have heard you say that "no one claims modern medicine is perfect" but the minute someone critisizes it they are blasted.
Barb, you have to consider the context in which you say this. There have been threads on this forum dealing with problems and disasters in real medicine. The Vioxx disaster was under discussion recently, and it can be discussed again if you want. Or if you want to start a thread about your disappointing experience in looking for an answer to your intestinal problems, feel free.
The reason you feel you get "blasted" is that you don't do that. Instead, every time homoeopathy is under discussion (which usually means under threat), you dive away from the subject on the card, which is homoeopathy and its lack of effectiveness, and start banging on about side-effects of real drugs and the poor showing in addressing Crohn's disease.
To paraphrase Zep, the fact that my car occasionally gets a puncture is of no relevance to any discussion about why your car won't start at all.
Barbrae said:
You know, if it weren't for people like me - people unwilling to accept the status quo with dangerous practices (of which there are many) then we would still be living as we were 200 years ago. If no one demanded change, nothing would have changed. It is people like me who blow the whistle on unsafe medical practices, unsafe drugs, and ineffective treatments that cause safer practices to be sought after. ....
Don't flatter yourself. Everyone involved in medicine is aware of the need for care, the need to keep re-evaluating best practice, and the need to watch out for sharks (yes, some of what you believe about pharmaceutical companies is no doubt true - just not all of it and not all companies). There are some fairly stringent regulatory controls in place. And I see not the slightest sign that the alternative medicine complainers have contributed anything at all to this.
Consider the current Vioxx affair. Seems to be quite a serious failure of drug safety control procedures. However, the problems were picked up by regular large-scale systematic research - you know, the sort of research homoeopaths reject, because it always shows that their remedies don't work.
Standing on the sidelines whining isn't a very constructive position any way you slice it.
And I note Murthy has started on about side-effects again. One, his position is massively over-stated. Most drugs taken by most people most of the time do not cause significant side-effects. This is another area where homoeopaths can do significant harm. Remember Alphonse and her cat again? The poor cat was suffering dreadfully from advanced thyrotoxicosis, for which there is a licensed and effective treatment. And like all licensed medicines, there is a list of possible side-effects to be found, if you go looking. Wim didn't just post that (indeed, when I posted the verbatim text, it was deleted, and only Wim's own grossly exaggerated version allowed to stand as "information"), he posted his own overblown and frankly scaremongering version.
I very much doubt that he has ever met a cat on that treatment. In contrast, I sign out a dozen or more lab reports every day of follow-up tests monitoring cats on this treatment. The vast majority are doing very well with no problems. (I posted that information, along with a few short case-report examples - twice - and that was also deleted - twice.) However, Wim was very much concerned to persuade Alphonse not to give her cat this treatment, even to the point of suggesting that it would be better to let the cat die than to take the risk of using something so harmful!
I find this attitude simply astonishing. I agree, Barb, that you were not supporting Wim at that point, but can you not see that both yours and Murthy's attitude of blowing up and exaggerating the dangers of real medicine can create serious problems when you frighten people (and their pets) away from treatment they really need?
Two, what about the dangerous side-effects of homoeopathy? OK, I don't believe they exist. Because I don't believe homoeopathic remedies have any effect at all, good or bad. But if you do believe that they have an effect, you can't exclude the possibility of bad effects.
And when we read your forums, and the homoeopathic literature, we find all sorts of nasty things happening to people after they have taken a homoeopathic remedy. And it is frequently accepted that these events are indeed caused by the remedy. They're called aggravations and healing crises and things like that. So where do we find the systematic studies of these side-effects?
Well, we don't. So we can't point to them in the way you can point to all the statutory drug safety publications and shout "look, it's dangerous, don't take it!" But by your own standards, it might be. Might be far more dangerous than Vioxx, even, for all you know.
Isn't it wonderful what you can get away with when you don't do any testing, but just say what you think will sound best at the time?
Rolfe.