• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Trump's Second Term

Last edited:
To add to this conversation a bit - Trump has been caught on tape admitting to publicly and repeatedly lying about all kinds of things, large and small. So yes, he absolutely has the capability to lie - and he knows he's lying much of the time. Hence, it's fundamentally wrong to assume that concern for the truth plays any real role beyond opportunistic, especially in his public statements.

Separately, pushing the view that Trump is just so stupid that lying doesn't really apply to what he says comes across as an attempt to exonerate Trump and potentially present a defense for various related things. Trump is evil and much of what Trump actually pushes for and works to do is both evil and harms the US (and those who voted for him) in a number of ways. Further, choosing and voting for Trump was effectively an admission that the Republican Party is outright evil and works to harm the country and is fine with that. Believing that he's too stupid to even understand that he's lying is one of the routes to try to avoid dealing with that and needing to reflect on and find and dig out the flaws in one's worldview.
I get that you don't want Trump's gross stupidity to be a mitigating factor in his utterances and I agree that he will say anything that he thinks will be to his advantage. But to call that lying "strategically" is still stretching it IMO. I don't think he is clever enough to weigh the consequences of everything he says. He just expects everybody to worship him regardless.
 
I just rewatched Pirro's press conference from when he was indicted...how embarrassing. I predict she will lose her job very shortly, trump does not like being embarrassed and since she is a woman in his eyes she is completely disposable.
When it is confirmed, I want to collect my million dollars from JREF for being a psychic...oh wait I can't do that, darn :(
 
It's the correct name.


We don't say Ireland, we specify either Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland to make it clear which we're referring to.

ETA: never call The Republic of Ireland Southern Ireland when speaking to its inhabitants if you value your life.
No it is not. Article 4 of the constitution clearly states:

"The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland."

In all international treaties and organisations (other than FIFA*) the country is known as either Éire or Ireland. It is more correct to call the UK Perfidious Albion than to call Ireland the "republic of".

*And then only to appease England's little bantustan FA in the occupied counties.
 
I get that you don't want Trump's gross stupidity to be a mitigating factor in his utterances and I agree that he will say anything that he thinks will be to his advantage. But to call that lying "strategically" is still stretching it IMO. I don't think he is clever enough to weigh the consequences of everything he says. He just expects everybody to worship him regardless.
No, he's not smart enough - that's why he is utterly dependent on feedback, hence the incessant posting, watching news and many, many, many rallies.
He lies and checks what resonates. He's basically a Stand-up comedian of Evi
 
Although nothing Trump does or says comes as a surprise to me anymore, it's still worth mentioning that apparently he would rather have innocent people prosecuted than admit that the contractor he hired did a lousy job. And willing to have a public temper tantrum about it too.

 
No it is not. Article 4 of the constitution clearly states:

"The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland."

In all international treaties and organisations (other than FIFA*) the country is known as either Éire or Ireland. It is more correct to call the UK Perfidious Albion than to call Ireland the "republic of".

*And then only to appease England's little bantustan FA in the occupied counties.

*shrug* OK.

The fact remains that the qualifiers "Republic of" and "Northern" are commonly used to avoid confusion. It's not something Trump made up.
 
No it is not. Article 4 of the constitution clearly states:

"The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland."

In all international treaties and organisations (other than FIFA*) the country is known as either Éire or Ireland. It is more correct to call the UK Perfidious Albion than to call Ireland the "republic of".

*And then only to appease England's little bantustan FA in the occupied counties.
The fronts of our passports are a pretty good indicator of the name of the country too.

Just don’t get me started on people who call the country "Éire" while speaking English.
 
Don't know why. Windmills grind grain, and have been outdated since the industrial revolution. Maybe he's thinking of turbines...wind turbines? The ones that generate free power? Trump likes "free", doesn't he?

He sued to have wind turbines off the coast of Scotland removed because they "spoiled the view" from his golf course in Aberdeen. He lost the lawsuit, he hates losing, and he bears grudges forever.
 
Fine then, you will be perfectly happy if I call your country Perfidious Albion going foward then?
I think I know why you are doing this (and I love Ireland and have 100% Irish heredity). Calling what many call the Republic of Ireland “Ireland” is a denial of Northern Ireland’s reality. If this is your motive, it’s pretty grubby.
 
I think I know why you are doing this (and I love Ireland and have 100% Irish heredity). Calling what many call the Republic of Ireland “Ireland” is a denial of Northern Ireland’s reality. If this is your motive, it’s pretty grubby.
The Constitution is the Constitution. The country’s name - in English - is "Ireland". It might not matter to you, but it does to us and we ask people to respect that.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom