• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Trump's Second Term

I have Peter Ackroyd's books on medieval England and then on to the Tudors. I can read a good part of Elizabeth but then it gets to Henry VIII and I got bored. What was curious was that the kings and queens starting to build an enpire but barely left England and Elizabeth never left. The previous centuries there was a lot of invasion of France, led by the king.
The British Empire was privatised.
 
*shrug* OK.

The fact remains that the qualifiers "Republic of" and "Northern" are commonly used to avoid confusion. It's not something Trump made up.
I was there earlier this year, and as noted here, this is the common expression when there is some ambiguity, in a divided country with an open border., and there might even be an excuse for using the term to make sure others understand which Ireland is involved. From the diplomatic point of view, there's a country called "Ireland," and it would have been better and more proper for Trump to call it that, but I would call this more an issue of sloppiness than Trump's usual utter confabulation. Given how many utterly stupid and wrong things he can manage to do in the blink of an eye, I'd be inclined to let that one go.
 
I have Peter Ackroyd's books on medieval England and then on to the Tudors. I can read a good part of Elizabeth but then it gets to Henry VIII and I got bored. What was curious was that the kings and queens starting to build an enpire but barely left England and Elizabeth never left. The previous centuries there was a lot of invasion of France, Britain led by the king.
FTFY

;)
 
Before Donald's 'restoration' and after.

Bronze sculptures which have been absolutely destroyed by gilding them.
The detail, patina, and character of the art are completely gone.
Before has fire, fierceness, depth, after has none of that.
They were originally fire-gilded with gold over bronze. It’s far more subtle than gluing gold leaf on to them.
1785854757480.jpeg
1785854771788.jpeg
1785854841476.jpeg

1785854912959.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Before Donald's 'restoration' and after.

Bronze sculptures which have been absolutely destroyed by gilding them.
The detail, patina, and character of the art are completely gone.
Before has fire, fierceness, depth, after has none of that.
They were originally fire-gilded with gold over bronze. It’s far more subtle than gluing gold leaf on to them.
View attachment 74259
View attachment 74260
View attachment 74261

View attachment 74262
Knowing Trump, that's not gold leaf. It's acrylic gold paint bought on Amazon.
 
Before Donald's 'restoration' and after.

Bronze sculptures which have been absolutely destroyed by gilding them.
The detail, patina, and character of the art are completely gone.
Before has fire, fierceness, depth, after has none of that.
They were originally fire-gilded with gold over bronze. It’s far more subtle than gluing gold leaf on to them.
View attachment 74259
View attachment 74260
View attachment 74261

View attachment 74262
I just discusssed this with my wife the other day. He's determined to turn DC into a gilded kitsch monument to himself.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom