• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Tricia Helfer in Peta Ad

Yes. In fact, they are opposed to any human-animal relationships as they call them all 'exploitative'.



If that's the case, they should be opposed to the very existence of cats, and all domesticated animals. They should also be opposed to veterinarians.



Edit: I guess they are. How pleasant.


I like dogs. They make me smile. I hope they stick around.
 
Last edited:
It seems to me what she is promoting is taking care of your cat, what is wrong with that?
 
It seems to me what she is promoting is taking care of your cat, what is wrong with that?

Consider the source. If Earth First! started an ad campaign starring a hot celebrity and advocating planting trees, it would still be coming from an organization that has a history of imbedding metal obstructions in trees to strip chainsaws and seriously injure loggers.

It would have sent a better and more true message for her to appear in a campaign by the ASPCA. Sarah McLachlan did, and it had a much better effect.
 
You people should be grateful you don't have cats.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134873 :D

PETA (At least the branch around here) is our sworn enemy. They see what we do as cruel because they are "forced" to stay here. Four times in the 7 months I've been here, animal control has come out for inspection. I was pointed out to me that AC knows we're legal but it they get a complaint, they have to check. The biggest fear is that Peta will catch us on a technical and force the county to take the cats.

I understand that Peta does some good, but then I had friends that were good people until I found they were racist.
 
http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134873 :D

PETA (At least the branch around here) is our sworn enemy. They see what we do as cruel because they are "forced" to stay here. Four times in the 7 months I've been here, animal control has come out for inspection. I was pointed out to me that AC knows we're legal but it they get a complaint, they have to check. The biggest fear is that Peta will catch us on a technical and force the county to take the cats.

I understand that Peta does some good, but then I had friends that were good people until I found they were racist.

PETA does as much good as the KKK having a barbecue for orphans.
 
Wait, what? How does that make sense? Do you have a source?

I think he's taking it a step further. PETA advocates the abolishment of all human-animal relationships, so that animals can return to their feral state in the wild. Most domesticated animals that depend on humans for food would most likely die from starvation or turn into scavengers. Either way, they would be bred out or killed by predators who were not domesticated.

This is the extension of what PETA advocates, or rather its unintended consequence - but not the letter of it.
 
I think he's taking it a step further. PETA advocates the abolishment of all human-animal relationships, so that animals can return to their feral state in the wild. Most domesticated animals that depend on humans for food would most likely die from starvation or turn into scavengers. Either way, they would be bred out or killed by predators who were not domesticated.

This is the extension of what PETA advocates, or rather its unintended consequence - but not the letter of it.
PETA does kill animals they collect from people who think PETA will try to find them homes (they don't). Several years ago they got in trouble because they improperly disposed of the animals they euthanized by putting them in a dumpster behind their national headquarters.

http://www.wvec.com/news/local/stories/wvec_local_061705_peta_court.1b0c99cf.html
 
Well, yet another celebrity I no longer give a crap about as far as supporting their success.
 
Not all of PETA's actions/positions are bad. While I generally have an unfavorable opinion of them, I can't fault them for advocating taking good care of your pets.

I just let the cat outside without supervision, so unfortunately I don't meet their standards.

What is PETA's position on pet cats being let loose unsupervised? This was a big dispute in our family (actually I just folded). We rescued a feral kitten. My wife and especially my daughter were determined that the cat would live entirely indoors. To me, this is highly annoying. I don't like the litter boxes and I don't like constantly having to be worried that the cat might get out.

But this was the first feral cat that I had any experience with and it has never became completely domesticated. For the first several years of the not letting it outdoors he whined and clawed and schemed to get outdoors at every chance he had. So not only was I annoyed about litter boxes, I was annoyed about the whining cat and I was annoyed that if I wasn't extraordinarily careful he would sneak out on my watch and out of some sort of guilt complex I'd run around trying to catch her. Altogether annoying. But as the years wore on, the annoyance factor eventually wore down my wife and the cat was left to roam freely (for awhile somewhat secretly, she wouldn't tell my daughter that she was doing it). This cat is a pure killing machine. He lives to hunt. Hungry or not he's out stalking birds, lizards, bugs and most wonderfully from my point of view rats.

I had lost my entire fruit tree crop to rats for several years. All of a sudden the cat is let loose and the rats are gone. A very happy result from my point of view, even if I do empathize a bit with the little guys.

But I can see how domestic cats killing all this fauna might not fit completely with PETA ethic. Plus, as I understand it, cats must eat a certain percentage of meat to survive so not only are the cats killing miscellaneous fauna but animals are being killed to feed them.
 
What is PETA's position on pet cats being let loose unsupervised?

It depends on who in PETA you're asking, to be honest. Some will tell you unequivocally that cats shouldn't be pets in the first place, some will tell you that you're horrible for letting a cat out at risk like that, and some others might take a more moderate stance and say it's okay as long as it's otherwise well-cared-for (and neutered/spayed).

That's how stupid celebrities like Helfer are convinced to do media spots with these dicks. PETA wouldn't dare send their more extreme members to Hollywood begging for endorsements, and instead have an entire moderate media proposal set up to bring people into the support structure. Pam Anderson-- I'd mention Joaquin Phoenix, but he was raised as the type sympathetic to PETA-- is a perfect example of this kind of stupidity from Hollywood, because she started with PETA being against furs, then added the vegan/vegetarianism, and pretty much became the poster child for many t&a campaigns in subsequent years. Most celebrities sign on because they think it makes them seem like animal lovers, and to some people it does. Some celebrities are suckered even further into the concentric circles of PETA's more and more extreme views the closer they get involved in the org's activities.
 
I think he's taking it a step further. PETA advocates the abolishment of all human-animal relationships, so that animals can return to their feral state in the wild.
If that's true, then... wow. PETA is even more wacko than I thought, and I knew they were pretty much nutjobs.
It's somewhat ironic, since you could argue (see: Guns, Germs and Steel) that it's the domestication of animals that spearheaded human civilization... without this civilization brought upon largely by domesticating animals, PETA wouldn't have any context in which they'd get to complain.

If that's true, though, how come that Helfer wench appears to simply tell people to take good care of their pets? Are there different factions within PETA, with varying degrees of extremism?
 
There are different levels of extremity to PETA, yes. Most Hollywood types belong to the more superficial of these layers, and the more dedicated the member the more extreme their views get, with the core leadership and direction-guiding people in the organization among the most whacked-out crazy of them all.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom