Sam.I.Am
Illuminator
- Joined
- Apr 2, 2009
- Messages
- 4,627
So that's your excuse, then? That when you said "you won't see other presidents having uniformed people holding his umbrella for him. It belittles the person holding it" and "there are rules that every member of the armed forces have to follow while in uniform and out in public, and most of them have to do with not reflecting poorly upon the service that the uniform represents", that you were only referring to the Marines there, and were specifically excluding every other uniformed member of all the other armed forces?
I can certainly see the special pleading and goalpost moving.
No. I was referring to what the regs say. I even posted the relevant one up thread. There are plenty of images of other presidents holding their own umbrellas (and even at least one showing Obama holding one while speaking at a podium so it's not like he doesn't know how to use one or is adverse to holding one while speaking).
As to my saying "you won't see other presidents having uniformed people holding his umbrella for him. It belittles the person holding it". I was clearly mistaken, in some cases soldiers have done it for others in the past however in none of those examples are they doing so in such a manner as to call attention to it. That's what makes it belittling.
"There are rules that every member of the armed forces have to follow while in uniform and out in public, and most of them have to do with not reflecting poorly upon the service that the uniform represents". Means exactly what it says. Every uniform regulation that I've ever read has that general rule somewhere inside them, usually right at the start. It gives the person subject to them one of the underlying reasons for the regulations existence and informs them what is expected of them. I posted the Marines version of that up thread. Here it is again:
>Ch 5 a. Marines are not known just for their battlefield prowess, but for their unparalleled standards of professionalism and uncompromising personal conduct and appearance. It is a Marine’s duty and personal obligation to maintain a professional and neat appearance. Any activity which detracts from the dignified appearance of Marines, is unacceptable. The use of chewing gum, chewing tobacco, cigarettes or the consumption of food while walking in uniform or while in formation are examples of activities that detract from the appearance expected of a United States Marine.