• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Ed The Cuomo Scandal.

Matthew Yglesias:

"In a proper system you have the 'vote of no confidence' which allows parties to dump leaders who have become burdens to the cause without suffering a partisan defeat.

In America we have supermajority impeachment rules with a quasi-criminal process and recall disasters."
 
I admit I had never heard of Future Governor Hochul until now, being on the opposite end of the country (but then how many Lt.Governors has anybody outside their state heard of until they become governor?)

Despite the name, she is Like Biden, an Irish Catholic on both sides. Damn it, those Micks are taking over the country......

Lose a Wop and gain a Mick, when will we have a proper governor?
 
Matthew Yglesias:

"In a proper system you have the 'vote of no confidence' which allows parties to dump leaders who have become burdens to the cause without suffering a partisan defeat.

In America we have supermajority impeachment rules with a quasi-criminal process and recall disasters."
It was pointed out during the first Trump impeachment that Romney was the first senator in US history to cross party lines to vote for conviction of a president. My reaction at the time was "Oh, so this **** has just never worked." I also recall some analysis during Clinton's impeachment concluding that many Republican senators voted against impeachment because they didn't relish the idea of possibly giving Gore the advantage of incumbency in the 2000 elections. This ought to be a political matter, but the structure of our government renders the stakes too high, even if we weren't beholden to the judicial cosplay and pseudo-crimes bequeathed to us by the founding dickheads.
 
There are reports that other women are contacting the AG. The real issue is that he was certain to be impeached and suspended from office, and the resulting trial and investigation would go on for months, even if he wasn't ultimately removed. He obviously decided that's not how he wanted to spend the rest of the year or more.

His lawyers might be advising him he is better off perparing for a Criminal trial rather then waste his time on a hopeless political trial.
 
Matthew Yglesias:

"In a proper system you have the 'vote of no confidence' which allows parties to dump leaders who have become burdens to the cause without suffering a partisan defeat.

In America we have supermajority impeachment rules with a quasi-criminal process and recall disasters."


IN the US the top Excutive officers are elected by popular vote, which is totally different then the Pure Parliamentary system where a top exec is chosen by elected representives;huge difference. Not comfortable with the idea of the will of the people being overturned by a single vote in the legilslature or congress.
 
Matthew Yglesias:

"In a proper system you have the 'vote of no confidence' which allows parties to dump leaders who have become burdens to the cause without suffering a partisan defeat.

In America we have supermajority impeachment rules with a quasi-criminal process and recall disasters."

I don't understand how any other system would be immune to partisanship. What would stop a parliamentary "vote of no confidence" from being voted down from a majority party even if, by the merits, it should succeed? If the party decides to circle the wagons around their own scumbags then that's that. No organizational tricks will stop a democratic removal effort from failing if a majority party refuses to hold their own accountable.

Cuomo's resignation is essentially a vote of no confidence. It became clear that his own party would not support him and he resigned rather than suffer the embarrassment of a successful impeachment.
 
Last edited:
I am not predicting the exact date, but I think within a couple of weeks some really damaging new stuff about Cuomo is going to come out.
 
I am not predicting the exact date, but I think within a couple of weeks some really damaging new stuff about Cuomo is going to come out.

I think so too. I suspect he resigned because he hopes everyone will be happy with that and not dig further.
 
I think so too. I suspect he resigned because he hopes everyone will be happy with that and not dig further.

Can't agree, I think his lawyers convinced him he needs to give up a hopeless political battle and start preparing his defense in a criminal trial.
 
Seems to me there's a significant chance he lays low for a bit and tries to run for Governor again in the near future.
 
Seems to me there's a significant chance he lays low for a bit and tries to run for Governor again in the near future.

Absurd. He already doesn't want to directly address the allegations made against him. In the setting of a political campaign he wouldn't be able to avoid doing so.
 
IN the US the top Excutive officers are elected by popular vote, which is totally different then the Pure Parliamentary system where a top exec is chosen by elected representives;huge difference. Not comfortable with the idea of the will of the people being overturned by a single vote in the legilslature or congress.

In a parliamentary system, the leader would be a product of the legislature in the first place. Keeping the current system intact with a vote of no confidence could be driven to madness if there's turnover in the state legislature mid-way through the governor's term. I'd assume this would require two votes as we have a bicameral system in almost every state.

In the state of California, a recall is triggered with a relatively low signature threshold, and the majority vote comes in a special election where we'd expect lower turnout. If the governor is rejected, then a replacement could be voted in with a tiny fraction of the electorate.

I don't understand how any other system would be immune to partisanship.

I don't often quote Thomas Sowell: "There are no solutions; only trade-offs." "Judicial cosplay" perfectly describes the partisanship behind the theatrics of impeachment. Circling the wagons for an unpopular leader might ensure the majority party will not remain in the majority. Instead the majority could welcome a new election. NY has twice in recent memory replaced once popular governors with relative unknowns. That blind guy didn't have much of a future. I don't even know the name of the Lt. Governor in my state.
 
Well, I really like the guy, so there! How dare you hate such a great guy?!? Why, your mother smells of hamsters and your father is an elderberry!
[OT]
"...my mother was a fine 700-pound fancy Devonshire with the most elegant lop ears and my father was a portly Essex half-black with a permanent expression of quiet optimism and a pipe he never put down."
Ah, Toby.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom