• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more
I'm confused.
That's for damn sure.


Maybe you can help me by explaining the difference in a Cougar's swatting motion with its front paws versus that of a Cougar's sweeping motion with it's front paws.
It doesn't even matter. Sweeping and swatting are not used by cougars to capture and kill deer. The paws (with claws engaged) are used to grip, position and maneuver so that the bite can be used on the neck to kill generally by crushing the windpipe and/or blood vessels to the brain. Usually the bite is to the underside of the neck with the paws/legs/claws gripping so that the deer cannot dislodge and escape the attacker.

Any cougar that decides to sweep or swat at the legs of a deer as an attack strategy is probably going to be a hungry cat and will need to change its method or switch to a different kind of prey.

Your homemade sauce is not going to work with knowledgeable people.
 
I'm confused. Maybe you can help me by explaining the difference in a Cougar's swatting motion with its front paws versus that of a Cougar's sweeping motion with it's front paws.

The only apex predator killing technique that interests me anymore is the slapping motion of the North American Sasquatch.

Leap, leap, slap...and BOOM! There it goes!
 
Chris,

The Commonwealth absolutely, positively, cannot harbor a population of 9' x 6' giant bipedal apes. Period.

As a former school teacher I would hope you would have some knowledge of the state. You know, like how it was logged from one end to the other. How species were extirpated form all or most areas of the state. How the current deer herd, elk herd, and turkey flocks are the result of re-introductions by F&W.

Tell me Chris, when did F&W reintroduce bigfoot to the Commonwealth?

Bolding mine.

Possibly at the same time they re-introduced the coyote?

That's for damn sure.



It doesn't even matter. Sweeping and swatting are not used by cougars to capture and kill deer. The paws (with claws engaged) are used to grip, position and maneuver so that the bite can be used on the neck to kill generally by crushing the windpipe and/or blood vessels to the brain. Usually the bite is to the underside of the neck with the paws/legs/claws gripping so that the deer cannot dislodge and escape the attacker.

Any cougar that decides to sweep or swat at the legs of a deer as an attack strategy is probably going to be a hungry cat and will need to change its method or switch to a different kind of prey.

Your homemade sauce is not going to work with knowledgeable people.

Speaking of knowledgeable people, Where does your info come from? Are you using factual sources to come to this conclusion or are you just making it up as you go. To me, your definition of a Cougar's hunting strategy is flawed. You are omitting some select info and allowing for some other. My conclusion is partially based on the factual information that comes from here:

"Cougars use their paws and claws to trip prey (i.e. a swat to the rear legs) or grab it with their claws, then use their claws to hold their prey while delivering the kill-bite. A cougar’s strength and powerful jaws allow it to take down and drag prey larger than itself (Fig. 2)."

As quoted from: http://wdfw.wa.gov/living/cougars.html
Can you clarify your reasoning for yours? Or why you choose to omit this info from your findings?

One has a superfluous apostrophe, and the other doesn't.

That's the type of answer I've come to expect here. It's ok though, it was a loaded question.

The only apex predator killing technique that interests me anymore is the slapping motion of the North American Sasquatch.

Leap, leap, slap...and BOOM! There it goes!

Now that's funny. At least someone here has a sense of humor. Chris B.
 
"Cougars use their paws and claws to trip prey (i.e. a swat to the rear legs) or grab it with their claws, then use their claws to hold their prey while delivering the kill-bite. A cougar’s strength and powerful jaws allow it to take down and drag prey larger than itself (Fig. 2)."

That's a far cry from breaking the hind legs by swatting it with their paws, though. Don't you think?
 
So maybe I'm missing something here (I often do), and granted I don't have much knowledge of how cougars get a deer down, but, if we were to stipulate just for the fun of it that a cougar can, occasionally, "sweep the legs" of a deer to bring it down, have we made any difference? We have two broken femurs, broken in the same place. Would a swatting cougar be able to do this while running after a deer? Would a smart and experienced cougar do this when a single blow or bite lower down would likely suffice to drop a deer? Has anyone tried to reconstruct what angle of attack this would require, and how a running cougar might deliver it without falling down?

That is, of course, assuming we have a cougar with such exquisite table manners that it leaves the two telltale femurs behind while clearing away all the rest of the stuff such as other broken bones and bite marks, perhaps embarrassed to leave evidence that he ate the deer alive.
 
That's the type of answer I've come to expect here. It's ok though, I was a loaded question.



BS. You "expected" a grammar correction, and yet you left in the mistake. On purpose, I suppose? You can't even lie about the little things, let alone your nonsense about a mythological creature flying around Kentucky eating M&Ms or whatever. Really, you might be bright enough to fleece some rednecks, but you need to step up your game here.
 
That's a far cry from breaking the hind legs by swatting it with their paws, though. Don't you think?

No, in my opinion for this hypothetical situation as to other possible causes for the deer kill other than Sasquatch, it's not a far cry. It's a possibility. My opinion is that its more likely a Cougar kill and the broken legs could be the result of the Cougar's swat or sweep during the kill. Although challenged to qualify every word of my opinion (which is ridiculous as we are all guessing anyway) I have done so and still my opinion remains unchanged and is qualified.

So maybe I'm missing something here (I often do), and granted I don't have much knowledge of how cougars get a deer down, but, if we were to stipulate just for the fun of it that a cougar can, occasionally, "sweep the legs" of a deer to bring it down, have we made any difference? We have two broken femurs, broken in the same place. Would a swatting cougar be able to do this while running after a deer? Would a smart and experienced cougar do this when a single blow or bite lower down would likely suffice to drop a deer? Has anyone tried to reconstruct what angle of attack this would require, and how a running cougar might deliver it without falling down?

That is, of course, assuming we have a cougar with such exquisite table manners that it leaves the two telltale femurs behind while clearing away all the rest of the stuff such as other broken bones and bite marks, perhaps embarrassed to leave evidence that he ate the deer alive.

You are 100% correct. The only reasons my opinion has been questioned and chastised is because of my position on the existence of Bigfoot.

BS. You "expected" a grammar correction, and yet you left in the mistake. On purpose, I suppose? You can't even lie about the little things, let alone your nonsense about a mythological creature flying around Kentucky eating M&Ms or whatever. Really, you might be bright enough to fleece some rednecks, but you need to step up your game here.

You and River both seem to have a habit of falsely accusing folks of not being on the level and making up falsities against one's character as you please. Is your evidence of your claim any better than his? If so please present it or recant your statement. I have no wish to include the mods, but if you persist in personal attacks rather than debate of the subject at hand, I shall do so.
Chris B.
 
BS. You "expected" a grammar correction, and yet you left in the mistake. On purpose, I suppose? You can't even lie about the little things, let alone your nonsense about a mythological creature flying around Kentucky eating M&Ms or whatever. Really, you might be bright enough to fleece some rednecks, but you need to step up your game here.


BTW, you changed my quote in your post. I didn't say what you have me quoted as saying. Let's please try to stick to what I actually say and not change it to better fit your needs. Chris B.
 
Sorry, I'm on a phone here. "It" was a loaded question. No comment on the substance of your Google ********ting about cougar kills, and no evidence for Bigfoot though, eh? It's nice that you honest researchers keep the big picture in mind.
 
No, in my opinion for this hypothetical situation as to other possible causes for the deer kill other than Sasquatch, it's not a far cry. It's a possibility. My opinion is that its more likely a Cougar kill and the broken legs could be the result of the Cougar's swat or sweep during the kill. Although challenged to qualify every word of my opinion (which is ridiculous as we are all guessing anyway) I have done so and still my opinion remains unchanged and is qualified.



You are 100% correct. The only reasons my opinion has been questioned and chastised is because of my position on the existence of Bigfoot.



You and River both seem to have a habit of falsely accusing folks of not being on the level and making up falsities against one's character as you please. Is your evidence of your claim any better than his? If so please present it or recant your statement. I have no wish to include the mods, but if you persist in personal attacks rather than debate of the subject at hand, I shall do so.
Chris B.

What claim? That big footers fleece rednecks? Every "research" "expedition" does exactly that.
 
Sorry, I'm on a phone here. "It" was a loaded question. No comment on the substance of your Google ********ting about cougar kills, and no evidence for Bigfoot though, eh? It's nice that you honest researchers keep the big picture in mind.

Am I trying to sell you on the idea Bigfoot exists? Nope. That's about as honest as you'll ever see. I suggest you remain skeptical and only accept a confirmed sighting of your own to make up your mind.

What claim? That big footers fleece rednecks? Every "research" "expedition" does exactly that.

You specifically say "you" in your previous post under discussion. I'm just asking for confirmation of your statement. Is there some evidence you can present that specifically points to me "fleecing rednecks" ? I'll save you the trouble. I've never made any money for any Bigfoot research I've done and I've never made any money from anyone, products, memberships or anything relating to Bigfoot research or study.

As far as stepping up to compete here I agree. I'm may not be as smart as the intellectual giants posting here, so I can only try to do the best I can.
Chris B.
 
<snip>
The only reasons my opinion has been questioned and chastised is because of my position on the existence of Bigfoot.
<snip>
Chris B.

Actually - I think I treated your opinion with respect and first disagreed with your proposition that we were looking at a cougar kill because it did not fit a typical cougar kill site in regards to the bones being stripped of meat and the fact that they were in the open rather than cached.

I then disagreed with your proposition that cougars sweep the legs out from under ungulates and that was possibly the reason for the breaks we observe in the photos.
I have seen them chase and sweep the legs out from snowshoe rabbits - but cougars damage easily and such a move on a deer or elk would imperil their light bone structure - especially their facial muscles and skull.
Also - as one poster already stated - the sweeping of legs while running would rarely result in a broken leg of the prey - much less both.
 
rockinkt, I agree, your debate has been civil. It was a "if the shoe fits" statement I made. We differ on our opinions. I presented the evidence of why I thought it could be possible for a Cougar to do the kill. I respect your opinion and also anyone else's opinion even if it disagrees with my own.

What I have no respect for is personal attack or name calling over a difference of opinion. It's always been my opinion that when one resorts to these behaviors it's because they have already exhausted their ability to participate in any real discussion of the subject. I can't imagine those displaying that type of behavior having to go before a University board to defend a thesis. In addition to failure, a quick trip out the door would be the likely result.
Chris B.
 
the Cougar's swat or sweep during the kill...
...could be turned into an acronym of "TCSOSDTK". This acronym could be pronounced as "tech so sid tick".

Any acronym makes an idea or thing easier to work with.

A Cougar attacks its prey by TCSOSDTK.
 
A full description without any acronyms would be:

"A Cougar attacks its prey by the Cougar's swat or sweep during the kill."

This is a pretty much there for a right perfect to for to convey for your point which you were making of your point to be there.
 
Chris, are you aware that Bigfoot has a cloaca and have you read any sighting reports describing Bigfoot having a cloaca?
 
So let me get this straight. You guys want me to prove my opinion of these bones? LMAO Hungry hungry hippos comes to mind. Chris B.

edited to add: River, you seem to state I'm somehow conning rubes out of "more" money. Would you care to qualify that statement or is it simply some sort of false accusation you vomited up without any evidence whatsoever?

Are you a part of a bigfoot organization that does camping trips labeled as "bigfoot expeditions"? If not then perhaps I am mistaken about your monetary gains and have also mistaken you for one of the dupers, instead of one of the duped.
 
No, in my opinion for this hypothetical situation as to other possible causes for the deer kill other than Sasquatch, it's not a far cry. It's a possibility. My opinion is that its more likely a Cougar kill and the broken legs could be the result of the Cougar's swat or sweep during the kill. Although challenged to qualify every word of my opinion (which is ridiculous as we are all guessing anyway) I have done so and still my opinion remains unchanged and is qualified.



You are 100% correct. The only reasons my opinion has been questioned and chastised is because of my position on the existence of Bigfoot.
Well, I guess I'm missing something still, because it seems the only virtue of a cougar kill is that at least cougars do exist. Neither seems a very good guess in a world where hunters and poachers are also known to exist.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom