• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Poll: Are you happy with Windows 10?

Are you happy with Windows 10?

  • Yes, no problem with installation or using.

    Votes: 80 42.6%
  • Yes, after some initial problems installing or learning.

    Votes: 30 16.0%
  • No, not happy at all, will uninstall.

    Votes: 4 2.1%
  • No, not happy at all, can't uninstall.

    Votes: 5 2.7%
  • "Happy" would be a stretch.

    Votes: 13 6.9%
  • Too fancy for me, but I gotta use it for work.

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Still waiting to see if I'm going to do it.

    Votes: 16 8.5%
  • Never going to upgrade.

    Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Not going to upgrade until I'm forced or I buy a new computer.

    Votes: 26 13.8%
  • Planet X has been declared a dwarf planet. Chose this option if you're 3 feet tall or less.

    Votes: 5 2.7%

  • Total voters
    188
I voted yes, no problem. One small piece of advice I would give to someone before upgrading a desktop or laptop is to keep the latest network drivers for your device handy just in case.
 
I went from 7 to 10 and my only problems have been minor - getting to grips with the new look and feel of it, plus I had to download some wizardry to make Microsoft Money (a very old and no longer supported program) work properly. I could have dumped Money but it's been my personal finance program for a long time and it's still better for me than the alternatives out there.
 
My only issue probably has an easy fix, but I've been too busy/lazy to really worry about it. When I boot up my PC, I just get a black screen. The little bit of research I did when this first happened suggested that win10 thought I was running dual screens, but that wasn't it. After getting frustrated, I hit the sleep button. PC turns off, when you turn it back on it boots to my windows login screen. My PC only gets turned off a couple times a month and the sleep button trick works everytime, so I haven't bothered to investigate further.

Other than that it has worked well.
 
Moved from Win 7, a few niggles , like default image viewer in Chrome downloads bottom bar not sticking to my default image program but keeps asking me "how do I want to open this file?"

My favourite but quite old screen capper prog MWsnap is not working correctly when snapping so having to now use Win 10 built in snapping tool which whiel Ok , stupidly still does not have the option auto save screencaps.
 
Wow 100% - Yes, no problem with installation or using.

I think that says it all.
No, not really.

POS, won't install if you put a gun to my head. Still haven't heard a single reason to do so. In fact, thinking of finally installing Linux and getting something on top of it to run Windows-based programs once and for all. That's how sick I am of Microblow.
 
Two PC's and a laptop with no (real) problems.

The only thing I noticed was Windows Media player no longer worked playing DVD's on the laptop. I didn't notice on the PC's because I always used VLC. Installed VLC and the "problem" solved.

The laptop is a Dell E6420 that Dell says it is not testing or developing Win 10 drivers. Everything seems to be good and it seems to be better on battery and boots faster then before with Win 7 pro(64 bit).
 
Last edited:
No, not really.

POS, won't install if you put a gun to my head. Still haven't heard a single reason to do so. In fact, thinking of finally installing Linux and getting something on top of it to run Windows-based programs once and for all. That's how sick I am of Microblow.
Please do.
 
Mine isn't ready for download yet :confused:

I registered for the 10 upgrade in like early June. Now I have the little "Download Windows 10" Icon in the tray bar. I click, and it tells me that I will be notified as soon as receive a notification that Windows 10 is available "specially" for my PC. It explains (my translation from German):

"For most PCs, upgrades are already available, and we are continually working with our partners to make more PCs function with Windows 10.

Your upgrade notification may arrive in a few days or weeks
"

Looks like my notebook (a Packard Bell consumer class thing, about six years old) isn't certified yet...
 
Mine isn't ready for download yet :confused:

I registered for the 10 upgrade in like early June. Now I have the little "Download Windows 10" Icon in the tray bar. I click, and it tells me that I will be notified as soon as receive a notification that Windows 10 is available "specially" for my PC. It explains (my translation from German):

"For most PCs, upgrades are already available, and we are continually working with our partners to make more PCs function with Windows 10.

Your upgrade notification may arrive in a few days or weeks
"

Looks like my notebook (a Packard Bell consumer class thing, about six years old) isn't certified yet...

I think that means the people who made your computer haven't provided the upgraded dohicky that MS need to make 10 work on your machine.

Or something.
 
Mine isn't ready for download yet :confused:

I registered for the 10 upgrade in like early June. Now I have the little "Download Windows 10" Icon in the tray bar. I click, and it tells me that I will be notified as soon as receive a notification that Windows 10 is available "specially" for my PC. It explains (my translation from German):

"For most PCs, upgrades are already available, and we are continually working with our partners to make more PCs function with Windows 10.

Your upgrade notification may arrive in a few days or weeks
"

Looks like my notebook (a Packard Bell consumer class thing, about six years old) isn't certified yet...

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/1/9083501/microsoft-windows-10-update-download-how-to-guide
 
<snip>

Looks like my notebook (a Packard Bell consumer class thing, about six years old) isn't certified yet...

I would suggest that instead of upgrading you buy a new computer. It is overdue to breakdown. Just make sure your new one has Windows 10 pre installed. Then if your backup is no good then you can still copy files across.
 
Played with it some more over the weekend, and so far the only problem I've had is that Chrome wouldn't sync my bookmarks properly: several folders just vanished. I ended up having to export my bookmarks from Firefox to an html file and burning that file to a disc just to get them over to the new machine. I'm not sure whether Chrome wasn't playing nice with Windows 10 or if it just didn't like my large number of bookmarks (yeah, I've got to clean those out one of these days).

Other than that, I'm liking it so far. Once I've got this machine completely set up (still need to transfer my files, sort out a spreadsheet program, and set up my work account) and have worked with it a while and am sure everything I need is compatible with Windows 10, I'll probably upgrade the old Windows 7 machine.
 
I chose the second poll option, but the problems I had were really only following these instructions to protect my privacy:

http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...bad_they_are_and_how_to_plug_them.single.html


This is interesting, because I read a lot about the privacy concerns early on but no so much in a while. So has the whole privacy thing proven not to be as big a problem as first reported, or do most people not really care?

I'm personally holding off on the upgrade for no real reason except that I am in no rush, but would be interested in an update on the privacy situation from the knowledgeable folks.
 
This is interesting, because I read a lot about the privacy concerns early on but no so much in a while. So has the whole privacy thing proven not to be as big a problem as first reported, or do most people not really care?

I'm personally holding off on the upgrade for no real reason except that I am in no rush, but would be interested in an update on the privacy situation from the knowledgeable folks.

IME, most people don't care.
 
I would suggest that instead of upgrading you buy a new computer. It is overdue to breakdown. ...

Oh yes, absolutely it is about to break :D I am just the faithful (and thrifty) type. If it ain't completely broken yet... :o
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom