• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Poll: Are you happy with Windows 10?

Are you happy with Windows 10?

  • Yes, no problem with installation or using.

    Votes: 80 42.6%
  • Yes, after some initial problems installing or learning.

    Votes: 30 16.0%
  • No, not happy at all, will uninstall.

    Votes: 4 2.1%
  • No, not happy at all, can't uninstall.

    Votes: 5 2.7%
  • "Happy" would be a stretch.

    Votes: 13 6.9%
  • Too fancy for me, but I gotta use it for work.

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Still waiting to see if I'm going to do it.

    Votes: 16 8.5%
  • Never going to upgrade.

    Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Not going to upgrade until I'm forced or I buy a new computer.

    Votes: 26 13.8%
  • Planet X has been declared a dwarf planet. Chose this option if you're 3 feet tall or less.

    Votes: 5 2.7%

  • Total voters
    188
No issues here outside of having to manually update a couple of programs.
 
I've got three systems of my own. No problems on two of them, minor driver problems on the third, which seem to be sorted now. My mum, on the other hand, has the Critical error when clicking on the Start menu. (My fault, I mentioned that I'd upgraded on Facebook, and she took that as a cue to do it herself.)
 
Mine crashes from time to time. I forget the error, but i think it has to do with the disk. I googled it and found others who started getting it after upgrading.
 
Still using XP because my plans to upgrade kept getting pushed back. Soon, though. Actually soon.

I do have a work laptop with 10, though. Seems similar enough, and I'm already used to it. No problems with it.
 
Waiting on new PCs but only because of rare peculiarities with my current systems.

My touchscreen netbook has too high a DPI on the screen for Win10, it became touch unfriendly after the upgrade. So I rolled back and will stick with Win8.1 until the netbook dies.

The two workstations are Win7 and it would be inconvenient to give up XP mode which is required to run some expensive CAD software I must use for my job (Win 10 compatible CAD upgrades would cost $7,000.00+ and won't help with my work). So I'm going to wait until the workstations die or 2019 when Win7 support ends, whichever comes first, and re-assess my options then.
 
No problems on my home machines, and slightly prefer it to 8. Actually, the only thing I can think of that I prefer it for is that it does virtual desktops in a slightly less quirky way than the way I was doing it before, with the sysinternals thing.

Problems at work are that our document management system doesn't work so well with it, and, more critically, Kaspersky still doesn't work properly, which is the one thing that rules out upgrading.
 
On my home built PC, very small problem getting it to recognize my graphics card, which was corrected after updating the driver and rebooting. Running like a champ ever since, Lightning quick boot with my SSD - Noticeably faster than Win 7 Pro. I'm very pleased with it.

I will say it was kind of a bitch to get it onto my older laptop (Win 7 Home Premium, Core Duo P6100, 3gb ram , 320gb hd) but it did eventually install after the 4th or fifth attempt. Laptop running better than ever now.
 
Last edited:
I've got a home network of 3 WIN10 (home editions) machines which have recent installs of MS SQLServer Express. The SQL Servers are not talking well yet.

Despite ludicrous rumors to the contrary, Microsoft has made no attempt to steal any of my undergarments. Such claims can be easily traced to a single contributor. I won't reveal their screen name, but it rhymes with ComfeySlippers
 
Last edited:
I upgraded from Windows 7 and have had the following issues.
1. Outlook did not work. Had to pay big $ to get it fixed. Many people who have Outlook 2010 have the same issue.
2. Lost my TV tuner. The driver is not compatible with windows 10
3. When I turn on the computer it wants me to put in a password. Have not worked out how to get around this.

The one thing I like about it is that when I put one window on half screen it asks me which other window I want the other half to be o.
 
3. When I turn on the computer it wants me to put in a password. Have not worked out how to get around this.
If you're using a Microsoft account, you can't get around it.

If you're using a local account, just change your password and leave the new password field blank. Blank password = bypass login when you turn on the computer. If you're setting up a new local account, leave the password field blank. You're better off using a password, though. Theft happens.
 
I said "Yes, no problem..." but "so far, so good" would be more accurate as I've only had it for a couple of days.
 
Re-installed 7 then upgraded to 10. Not very intuitive error message when trying to make an install disk, needed to be _the_ admin rather than _an_ admin, but wanted a fresh start anyways so hey-ho). Haven't used 8 on a desktop, so can't compare.

Bit of a pain if you don't want a nuclear fire in your face, and audio volume at most startups wants to set itself to 1/3ish (can't remember) level rather than what it was at shutdown. Other than that, normal use it works fine. The new settings is a horrible mess, but you can still get a proper control panel WIN7 style. Performance-wise, I've not noticed any difference, but I re-install every few months so don't get too bogged down normally.

Recomended due to low price, otherwise meh, same but different.
 
I use a Chromebook for most stuff at home, and in the office we are still on something older (can't be bothered to look at what) but updated my little 'media centre' PC and it worked fine out of the box. Only really use it for Netflix, playing CD/DVDs and some online streaming.
 
[x] Have switched to Mac years ago. Had Windows as a Virtual Machine until I noticed that I do not need it anymore. Had to use Win 10 (doing maintenance for relatives), and found the exact same annoying things that caused me to ditch it years ago.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom