• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Petraeus Emails - Who is Paula Broadwell?

And let's not render that word meaningless please. There was nothing sexist about that post.



Yes, let's.

The phrase "some hog he was banging on the side" isn't sexist?

I tend to think otherwise. It is clearly treating a woman as a piece of (unappetizing) meat. It's unnecessary.
 
Well, that certainly put my good friend and passionate disputant, Argumemnon, in his place. That was like a triple "son" with a twist of "Damn, Daniel!"

Gee, I hope he recovers

well as previously pointed out, it is a bit off topic, so I went easy on your good friend.
 
The phrase "some hog he was banging on the side" isn't sexist?

I tend to think otherwise. It is clearly treating a woman as a piece of (unappetizing) meat.

Again, that's not what sexism is, phiwum. How about calling a woman a whore? Or calling a man a dick, or a piece of ****?

As we've stated recently, many times, sexism is about seeing a sex as inferior to the other. As a whole. It is not having a negative, insulting opinion of a single member of that sex.
 
Again, that's not what sexism is, phiwum. How about calling a woman a whore? Or calling a man a dick, or a piece of ****?

As we've stated recently, many times, sexism is about seeing a sex as inferior to the other. As a whole. It is not having a negative, insulting opinion of a single member of that sex.

This is not an argument quite on-topic here, but yeah, I'd say referring to a man's paramour as a "hog he was banging on the side" is degrading not only to that particular woman, but to the whole gender.

You may disagree.

I don't think that I'm particularly sensitive when it comes to gender or race issues, but we don't need to argue about this here.
 
Again, that's not what sexism is, phiwum. How about calling a woman a whore? Or calling a man a dick, or a piece of ****?

As we've stated recently, many times, sexism is about seeing a sex as inferior to the other. As a whole. It is not having a negative, insulting opinion of a single member of that sex.

Okay, let's say it isn't "sexist." That's the best we can say about your calling her a "hog" - that was not technically sexist. But it certainly added nothing to the conversation than post count.
 
Last edited:
Okay, let's say it isn't "sexist." That's the best we can say about your calling her a "hog" - that was not technically sexist. But it certainly added nothing to the conversation than post count.

two points, I don't think he called her a hog, and I and i am sure many others thought that Ms. Broadwell is quite fetching and not in any way a "hog."
 
So it seems Don the Con met with Disgraced "General" David Petraeus as - get this - a candidate for Secretary of State.

Here's a guy who was actually found guilty of emailing classified information to some hog he was banging on the side.

Hypocrisy from the GOP?

Say it ain't so!

two points, I don't think he called her a hog, and I and i am sure many others thought that Ms. Broadwell is quite fetching and not in any way a "hog."

Argumemnon was defending OP's use of the term. Both should be smacked on the wrist with a ruler.

And judging the relative merit or value of a woman based on her attractiveness isn't particularly un-sexist.
 
This is not an argument quite on-topic here, but yeah, I'd say referring to a man's paramour as a "hog he was banging on the side" is degrading not only to that particular woman, but to the whole gender.

You didn't answer my question, though. Would the examples I gave be sexist towards men? I find the idea ridiculous, myself. By that logic, every insult towards an individual applies to any group that person belongs to.

Okay, let's say it isn't "sexist." That's the best we can say about your calling her a "hog" - that was not technically sexist. But it certainly added nothing to the conversation than post count.

I was specifically addressing about the claim that it was sexist. I'm sure we all agree that it wasn't a nice thing to say. However, all of us say nasty things about _someone_ at some time.

Argumemnon was defending OP's use of the term.

No, that is... not true, to put it mildly. The only thing I said was that the term was not sexist. It would be nice if you kept things to how they happened rather than accuse me of doing something I never did.
 
Last edited:
You didn't answer my question, though. Would the examples I gave be sexist towards men? I find the idea ridiculous, myself. By that logic, every insult towards an individual applies to any group that person belongs to.



I was specifically addressing about the claim that it was sexist. I'm sure we all agree that it wasn't a nice thing to say. However, all of us say nasty things about _someone_ at some time.



No, that is... not true, to put it mildly. The only thing I said was that the term was not sexist. It would be nice if you kept things to how they happened rather than accuse me of doing something I never did.
I'll defer to you, rather than continue an off topic digression, if that's okay.
 
two points, I don't think he called her a hog, and I and i am sure many others thought that Ms. Broadwell is quite fetching and not in any way a "hog."

No, not at all. And I don't blame Petraeus either. This slightly NSFW article explains what happened from the sexist realist, perspective.
 
By "k" I mean to say "okay, your thing" and move on. If you need a hug or handy to get you through the rest of the thread, I'm not interested.
 
By "k" I mean to say "okay, your thing" and move on. If you need a hug or handy to get you through the rest of the thread, I'm not interested.

Ok, then. If you ever, however, at some point in the future, point out to another poster that they are misrepresenting what you have said, you can be damn sure I'll remember this one.

Reasonable people should retract their words when they misrepresent others.
 
This always happens in conversations with you - a whirling poop storm of confused disagreement on some actually irrelevant point. Reading back through the thread yet again attempting to make sense of it all, it seems you are arguing about the definition of the word "sexist" completely ignoring the contextual use of hurtful language to identify a woman. I found it offensive.

You spun yourself up about the technical meaning of a specific word, missing the philosophical/social point completely.

I retract suggesting you said "hog."

But no hug.
 
Last edited:
IMO the Petraeus episode doesn't compare with Hillary Clinton's use of a non-secure server. The Petraeus episode was actually pretty bad. This is from the Washington Post story in April 2015 when Petraeus was sentenced:
The FBI began investigating Petraeus after [his biographer and longtime mistress Paula] Broadwell sent threatening e-mails to Jill Kelley, a Florida woman who knew the general from his days in Tampa. Kelley, unaware of the sender’s identity, called the FBI. The bureau later traced the messages to Broadwell and uncovered explicit e-mails between her and Petraeus.

Agents also learned that Broadwell was in possession of classified documents, triggering an investigation of how she obtained them....[Eventually] Pettraeus admitted that he improperly removed and retained highly sensitive information in eight personal notebooks that he gave the biographer, Paula Broadwell, to read...That information included code words for secret intelligence programs, identities of covert officers, war strategy and deliberative discussions with the National Security Council. Link to Post story
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom