ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
- Joined
- Jul 11, 2006
- Messages
- 54,796
I consider philandering different from cheating, though there is some overlap. The definition I would use (from American Heritage Dictionary) is:
philander - To engage in many love affairs, especially with a frivolous or casual attitude.
So having sex with two different women in the space of a few years is too many love affairs for you?
I think he is likely an idiot, and probably being far to casual about being a father, but this could conceivably happen to just about anyone. No form of birth control is perfect, and having a sexual relationship with someone that you don't end up marrying is not at all unusual.
You don't know his attitude, you don't even know the number of discrete relationships he has had. So either not waiting for say 5 years between sexual relationships makes someone a philanderer or you will be classifying people who act in ways you don't disapprove of by labeling them as philanderers.